A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with... tulle  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 02, 2009 05:30:15 AM »

Some time ago I bought a large piece of black tulle and it's sitting there gathering dust because I don't know what to do with it.  The original idea was to use it for a bag.  I'll explain:

I wanted a bag that was half handbag half shoe bag, so that I could carry my ghillies in it.  I designed a rather rigid bag, oblong shaped with zipper closures, quite boxy, with two separate compartments, one to use for my personal stuff and the other for the shoes.  To keep the shoes aired and avoid the bag being loaded with unpleasant smells, I made a window panel on the side of the shoe compartment.  I used four layers of tulle to cover the opening and also took advantage of this for decoration, including in between little star shaped studs.  Behind just the first layer, they were perfectly visible but had no chance to snag or scratch the inside in any way because they were attached to the second layer and padded by the other two layers.  It came up very nicely -well, it was coming up.  I was interrupted by life and it is one of the few projects that in the end I have definitely quit.  But the idea was good, and the exercise taught me quite a lot about compartments, bags and zippers, so it was worth it.

Now I have a lot of leftover tulle, but can't think of anything interesting to do with it.  A tutu is out of the question.  Would you have any ideas about how to creatively use some tulle in your lives?  I was going to make a bag for washing my delicate stuff in, since the old ones are in a tragic state and desperately need retirement, but on second thought I reckon tulle would not be fit for the job.

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009 07:12:32 AM »

You don't have to do a tu-tu hehe.  But I've seen skirts and dresses where they have used tulle at the hemline, where it peeks out, basically making it appear that your wearing some kind of tulle underneath it but it's just attached at the bottom, make sense?

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009 07:26:14 AM »

Yes! A narrow strip pleated under the hem.  I've seen it and I think it's very pretty.  It wouldn't do for any of my stuff at the moment though.  Well... I'll check that last skirt I'm doing, there's only the hem to be finished...
Although I'd still have loads of tulle left.

I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009 07:29:31 AM »

Halloween is coming up, you could incorporate it into a costume.  Such as a Wicked Witch, or you could use loads of it and go as a shadow person, those black ghosties,  or you could go as a black cat? 

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009 08:29:48 PM »

You could make some eco-friendly produce bags--just some simple drawstring bags in a variety of sizes.  The weight probably won't be much different than the plastic sacks the grocery stores have, and you can rinse them if they get grimy/juicy.

Similarly, if your necklaces are in a jewelry box, but get tangled easily, you can make little pouches to keep them visible, but separated.

Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 09:04:39 PM »

I saw black tulle, sort of like ruched, used as a panel on a dress (I think it was on the Fashion Show). 
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009 10:10:31 PM »

Zombie_Fairy, that is EXACTLY what I did for a friend's skirt!

I made a tight black vinyl mini skirt with a back zip. It had 2 front panels, 2 back panels, and a panel at each hip. The hip panels were overlaid with ruched purple netting. I know, not tulle, but I think tulle would look much better in such an application.

Anyway, I showed it to her and she was like OMG! and started dancing Tongue

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009 01:23:21 PM »

This is probably random but do you garden at all?  I've used tulle over seeds to get them started so the birds don't eat all the seeds/sprouts.   Grin

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009 01:51:52 PM »

donniesgirl, that is an excellent idea!  Pity I don't have a garden... only a couple of plants inside my room.

I like the idea of integrating panels in some garment.  I should try and design some variation for an evening top, or just something different.

I am afraid the idea of using it to place jewellery is not very good.  This tulle is rather fragile -so it can't be used for carrying produce either- and any of my necklaces or earrings would get stuck in it in no time and rip it.  But that's a pretty idea to use some organza ^^

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Trends Straight From NYFW
Rachel Zoe To Open Blow Dry Bar
Grocery Store Glam: Make Your Own Shaving Cream
New York Fashion Week 2013: Crafting Runway Hair
How to Add Volume to Your Hair with a Volumizing Catalyst
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...