A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Budget Challanged Wedding.... need ideas  (Read 5237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aelfrayn
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009 07:05:35 PM »

You mentioned making flowers for decorations and buying the ones to carry. I would suggest doing the other way 'round.  It's the flowers we carry that we tend to keep.  My younger sister made wood fiber flowers for all her bridesmaids, they were lovely, and lasted many years.  The flowers for decorations are easier to gather and put together quickly. 

As far as having the men wear whatever suits they already have;  this could work, but you need to make sure that none of the men think Dockers and a coordinating blazer qualify as a "suit".  That was the most expensive "last minute" emergency I experienced, as it required a quick trip to rent a tux similar to the groom's tux.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flower
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009 07:21:29 PM »

I saw in your profile that you are from Indiana.  Shindigz, a prom/party supply company, in South Whitley, Indiana has a garage sale twice a year.  I'm not sure when. Many brides from the area get super cheap wedding decorations and favors there.  I bought champagne glasses to use as wedding favors.  It cost me 8 cents per person.  My sister-in-law bought silver picture frames for 10 cents a piece.  She put picture of herself and my brother from childhood in them and they made lovely, personalized decorations.  She recycled the frames for Christmas.  She gave everyone wedding pictures in the frames!  Smiley  Lots of brides get tiaras at the garage sale.  You have to get there EARLY.  All the good stuff sells quickly.  

EDIT: I just did a Mapquest.  It is a 51 minute drive to South Whitley.   Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 07:31:32 PM by flower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lyly2760
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009 09:55:14 PM »

don't forget that Michael's craft stores always have coupons! And usually when you buy something the reciept has next weeks coupon on it. I made bridal shower invites for 78 guests that were way nicer than some pro wedding invites I have gotten for around 28$ I am trying to find a pic of it because it actually fit into your color scheme.....It was the pre-decorated wedding invites with a thin brown border with small pink polka dots inside the border. I wrapped them with brown and pink ribbon to hold the directions and recipe cards....I printed them myself using microsoft word and brown ink. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009 11:03:45 PM »

My Mom used to be a Wedding Florist , and I've made gowns for years. I might be able to come up with a few ideas. First, I would suggest you do the earlier Spring wedding.
You can use the 2 light fabrics, the sheer and the satin to make Pew Bows. They can be placed on every other pew, and don't have to go completely all the way back. If you mix the two fabrics, they can have depth, with the sheer laying loose over the satin. Most churches have special holders for these they will let you use.
Of course, you might make kneeling and ring pillows out of it too.
You can cut flowers out of the print fabric, and sew the buttons in the centers. Use
the yarn to tie them around thrift store vases and candle holders. They don't have to match, they can even be mixed up, some vases, some candle holders. The print fabric can be cut into circle mats to go under the vases, completing the setting of centerpieces. Use candles in all the bright colors, and cut natural greenery for the vases. The most natural choice is ivy, which you can harvest for free. Look for small, fresh leaves, soak and wash and trim. Other choices are citrus leaves, willow branches, just look for textures and shapes you like. You may even get lucky and find some flowers you can pick.Just don't get caught stealing roses! Carnations are the least expensive of all flowers, with the widest range of colors. They may not be the most exotic, but they will go a long way for your money. Leather fern is a common floral staple greenery, but, see what's growing that you can cut. Maybe you can have people scouting the area for these locations, and asking permission where needed ahead of time.
If you are  not going to rent the napkins and tablecloths, you can easily and cheaply make them. They won't take long to cut and sew. You may even find bargain houses for fabrics, like simple gingham that would go nice with your print, in the different colors. Cut out felt flowers for napkin rings, and a center button, tie them on with yarn. Now your tables are complete, except for the dishes, and food.

One of the biggest ways to save money is to have the reception  in the barn like you were thinking. You can make garlands with ivy and other greenery, and use the pew bows later spaced in them. Drape the garlands on the head table, or the food table. , even doorway, etc. All you need for this is floral wire. And the ivy you stole in the middle of the night! I would not make the guys wear girly fabrics. Let them wear brown, with blue and yellow flowers. Let the girls wear the corals and pinks. The guys will be grateful! Karen
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 11:07:20 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

flower
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009 11:40:31 PM »

If you are making lots of yo yo flowers, you might invest in a "quick" yo yo making tool.  I saw them at Hobby Lobby yesterday.

http://www.sewthankful.com/CloverYoYoMakers.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009 04:39:16 AM »

I got married on a budget last year - we did it all in under two weeks for under $500.
Granted, my wedding was not in a style that everyone would have for their own wedding...

First - beg, borrow, and repurpose whatever you can. My bff gave me her dress and I brought it from appx a size 28 to a 16 with a new neckline and a corset back; red trimmings. (you can see it in my wedding post here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=279323.msg3161539#msg3161539 ) If something is offered to you and it's not QUITE how you would want it, take it anyways...sometimes a little change can be easy and cheap.
Second - look online. Unless you are in a metropolis, you can often find better deals online than most of your local stores. Just make sure that shipping doesn't kill you, and that it can be to your door in plenty of time.
Third - thrift and bargain stores are your new best friend!
Fourth - watch kijiji, freecycles, craigslist and whatever else you can for free stuff, stuff to borrow, stuff to fix, etc.
Fifth - if you don't want to make your own dress, or can't find one to repurpose, check consignment shops, try for a dress rental, or the cheapest solution I found outside DIY - a local seamstress. Yeah, it sounds crazy, but it's often cheaper to have a local seamstress make your dress for you. I was originally looking at one of Candy's tea-length gowns for a couple grand, and the seamstress/alteration place across town was going to do the whole shebang for $600 (including a coloured crinoline!)
Sixth - do exactly what your doing - ask for advice, tips, etc...a good resource for interesting wedding things (and a lot of "I could make that" moments) is www.offbeatbride.co m

Your colours are gorgeous, and I think you could definitely make it work with what you've got together so far. A small bridal party will definitely keep the cost down. Have you considered how many bridesmaids you'll have? If you stick to just one for signing as your witness, a simple dress for her should be easy to find/make. Consider the infinity dress? (and maybe a shrug if it's chilly) Or if your party is slightly larger, there is always the option of having the bridesmaids buy their own dresses (many people do this...) They don't have to be from a bridal store and they don't all have to match. You could give them a colour scheme and let them go with it, that way everyone is comfortable in what they are wearing Smiley

boquets? try fabric flowers, ribbon flowers, button boquets, crocheted flowers....I've even seen some beautiful boquets made with christmas decorations! Heck, you don't HAVE to have flowers...it can be anything...or nothing....

In the end, make the wedding what you want it to be, and if tradition doesn't strike your fancy, throw it to the wind. It's your day Smiley

Last, enlist your friends/family. Often people want to help but don't know how, so if you're discussing wedding plans with you mom and her sisters, ask dear aunt vi if she'd be willing to take over making the cake cuz she's a great baker, and aunt flo might be willing to help with the flowers and favours...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lattenville

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009 08:18:03 AM »

I love DYI weddings!!!
May I suggest, if you have not purchased your wedding dress yet, go to netbride.com and see if they have your dress there.
I found mine for $170 mind you it is a bridesmaids dress but if they have it, you can use the money you save to put towards decorations or food.

I love the idea of fabric flowers for center pieces and miss matched glass containers for the candy tables. Keep your eyes open for Garage sales and second hand stores I find tons of neat things there.

Good luck
And Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calista
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009 11:38:24 AM »

I found this post --> http://heart-of-light.blogspot.com/2008/08/wedding-weekend.html
If you scroll down, you can see beautiful butterfly centerpieces. I think fabric flowers can be beautifully coordinated with them.

I had a DIY wedding, too. I made my wedding dress(http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=305499.0), and my sister made me a veil & accessories. One my friend who is a graphic designer made invitations, programs, and thank you card as a wedding gift.
Regarding flowers, another friend decorated the hall (a restaurant) and made bouquets for me and my bride maid. We went to local flower wholesalers the day before, and bought 12 bunches of lepto, some other filler flowers and some roses to decorate the hall & the wedding arch, and peony & ranunculus for bouquets. The total cost of flowers, tulles and ribbons was about $300. That was it. She borrowed glasses from the restaurants and made center pieces. Since our ceremony and the reception was done in the same space, we saved a lot of money than decorating two spaces. Lepto is usually used as a filler and very cheap. Since I was going for a wild flower concept with the flower decorations, it matched well. If you are going for the rustic barn concept, using small flowers that usually used as fillers will go with the concept well. Usually, those fillers are much cheaper than the ones with large flowers.

Though I went for the cheaper choices for the decoration, we went for the expensive side for the bouquets, because I really wanted a bouquet with peony & rananculus. Since only a small number of flowers are needed for a bouquet, I kinda pampered myself for that Cheesy

Here are some pictures of the bouquets and hall decorations. I loved how it turned out.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 01:20:31 PM by calista » THIS ROCKS   Logged

msweehoo
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009 06:05:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for so many really great ideas.. I'm still going through and looking through all the links.

calista, I love the bouquets.. I reallly want peonies & ranunculus too and was going to try to put them in the bouquets. I am thinking it will be a small wedding party as most of my fiance's friends and family live in Colorado and as of right now we have only talked about his son being the best man. 

Today I picked up 2 white milk glass vases from the thrift store and I started making doilies in the yellow, rose and blue to go under the vases. So each table will be a little different. Then I can add some small candles around the vases. I'm off to a good start.. only spent $2 so far. Will be interesting to see just how little I can spend and still get the look and feel that I want. 
I saw in your profile that you are from Indiana.  Shindigz, a prom/party supply company, in South Whitley, Indiana has a garage sale twice a year.  I'm not sure when. Many brides from the area get super cheap wedding decorations and favors there.  I bought champagne glasses to use as wedding favors.  It cost me 8 cents per person.  My sister-in-law bought silver picture frames for 10 cents a piece.  She put picture of herself and my brother from childhood in them and they made lovely, personalized decorations.  She recycled the frames for Christmas.  She gave everyone wedding pictures in the frames!  Smiley  Lots of brides get tiaras at the garage sale.  You have to get there EARLY.  All the good stuff sells quickly. 

EDIT: I just did a Mapquest.  It is a 51 minute drive to South Whitley.   Wink
I will definitly check into this... I wouldn't mind driving that far for a really good deal.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009 02:50:26 PM »

If you're thinking about a Colorado wedding . . . well, both March and October have the tendency to be chilly (although more so in March), with a chance of snow.  October can also be nice, with fine, crisp, sunny days and the trees changing.  Where about in Colorado are you?  I do love the idea of having the wedding or reception in a barn . . . that would be so lovely and rustic.  I would suggest going to a farmer's market to get fresh garden flowers (daisies, pansies, poppies, etc) for bouquets, although I also like your fabric flower idea.  Maybe you can expand upon this "old time country" theme by making the reception an old fashioned barn dance?  Does anyone in your family by chance play the fiddle or guitar?  If so, have square-dancing, ask people to bring "old fashioned" foods like apple pie and fried chicken for a potluck, and maybe have an old fashioned spice cake or pound cake for your wedding cake.  With this "theme" you could look for inexpensive muslin and cotton fabrics in calico and gingham prints.  Maybe the flower girl could be in gingham, with her hair in two little braids?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
MMVA 2014: Most Memorable Red Carpet Looks
AOL Experts: Molly Sims Coredrobe
How a Teen Vogue Assistant Dresses for Work
How to Wear Man Shoes
Two Ways to Style the Mom Jean Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...