A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handsewing project for Middle Schoolers?  (Read 1491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keeperrox
« on: July 29, 2009 07:31:18 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for handsewing projects for 6-8th graders (we're talking about 11-14 year olds)?  I'm teaching Family & Consumer Science (Home Ec) this year, and I would love for the boys to make ties using The Purl Bee's tutorial, but then I would also need a handsewing project for the girls.  I'd also like to offer something other than just ties for the boys.  Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009 07:53:34 AM »

Kid's love making stuffed animals.  When I first started home ec, I made a skunk family lol.  Hand sewed the 3 skunks myself =)

Or, pot holders

Coasters

Doll Clothes, you could get in some good techniques with this one too, like gathering and sleeves

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009 11:05:57 AM »

a lunchbag with their name appliqued on it?
a pocket game? (http://www.adesignbylyn.com/images/Tic%20Tack%20Toe/TTT%20applique-set.jpg)
a cool little bag for their pencils/interesting findings?
a pair of felt slippers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009 11:38:47 AM »

You could also include Plastic Canvas crafts, it's all by hand, using yarn, needles and plastic canvas.  Some cool ideas with that............
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewingjenna
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009 01:45:27 PM »

There are great projects for pre teen/teens on expressew.com. Hope it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 08:36:56 AM »

Sew, Mama, Sew! has just announced that August is going to be "A Month of Hand Sewing" with projects, tutes, tips, and such. You might want to check them out occasionally to see if there is anything that will work for you.

Just curious - does your school not have machines?

I teach high school FACS in KS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009 08:42:02 AM »

I like soorawn's ideas..

boys love things to hold things..at least my boys do..and stuff that can show off their boy-ish style..I cant tell you how many times I have brought my boys to craft things and all they had was girly things..such a turn off..

something to put their gameboys in or wallet even..

good luck let us know how it goes..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
keeperrox
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009 05:15:30 PM »

Sew, Mama, Sew! has just announced that August is going to be "A Month of Hand Sewing" with projects, tutes, tips, and such. You might want to check them out occasionally to see if there is anything that will work for you.

Just curious - does your school not have machines?

I teach high school FACS in KS.

No, we have machines, but I want to have them do one hand sewing project and one project on the machine.  Plus, Purl Bee posted a really great tutorial for a boys/mens tie that I think would be great for the boys, because they have to start dressing up in 7th and 8th grade for sports.

Thanks for the heads up about Sew, Mama, Sew.  Their blog is in my reader, but I seriously need to catch up.

The teacher who retired had them doing bags - 6th grade was drawstring, 7th grade was drawstring backpack, and 8th was a gym bag.  They were all made of nylon and all from a kit.  I think I'm going to change things up a bit, though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009 05:15:59 PM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombie_fairy
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009 08:52:14 PM »

Fashion scarves might be a good option for the girls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009 12:04:41 AM »

How about get them to bring in a jacket to do an applique project on... they can bring in a comic book page, for example, and they trace off the design, use the printer to get a pge to cut up, then rubber-cement onto a backing paper to add seam allowance. adding 1/4" around all the pieces.turn, and stitch a fold-line, Or press, but they may steam some fingers... around the fold line.   then, press on with fusible web, and teach them a simple blanket-stitch to sew down the pieces. If they don't have a jacket to use, it can be a cotton  button-down shirt. Or even a book cover. Speaking of books... they may enjoy making a handmade book. there is a small amount of sewing involved, but there are paper craft skills involved too. There is a tute in the papercrafts discussion and questions, mini books. You can get the general idea from it, and they can make a sketch book or journal. Thinking back to age 4, it was my brother's idea to try to make puppets. This could lead to a whole puppet show project developing.
  As for the ties, the hardest thing is getting them to not twist. the interfacing has to set in perfectly, and the bias has to be cut perfectly. They are not really that easy as they look, but you can give it a try.
  I hope I gave you a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fake Blood for Halloween
Non-Linear Editing Basics in Final Cut Pro
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
How to Look Good on a TV Interview
Creating the Ideal Recording Environment
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...