A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
825 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Used Glow Sticks  (Read 8321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KellyBoBelly

Oh, to be born in the 50's...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008 12:39:30 PM »

I heard if they are the thin bracelet kind you can freeze them and snap and they will glow again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sofiushka
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009 09:48:36 AM »

Anyone wants to chime in some new ideas? I too have about a metric ton of used bracelet glow sticks that I don't want to throw away...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAmadurk
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009 01:56:45 PM »

the bracelet style seems easy enough--crochet or macrame over it for a new bracelet.  Use as you would clear tubing--although since I haven't tried it, I don't know if you could put anything inside of it.

Has anyone tried cutting the sticks in small lengths to make beads? (which could of course be jazzed up with glitter or any number of other neat improvements.

they could substitute for craft sticks in some projects--I'm thinking of a Christmas project I did with little kids that involved simply wrapping sparkly pipe cleaners around Popsicle sticks and then using a CD to make a mobile.  Painted and wrapped, used glow sticks would work just fine.

MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
froggyfarmer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009 10:52:41 PM »

I never found the freezing thing to work well. However, they do still glow under a blacklight. Smiley Not sure what good that does you, but I used them on Halloween when we had the blacklights out. My little sister once broke one open and painted some of her things, since she was an angsty teen who lived under a blacklight for a year or so. Wink If you try that, I would definitely recommend caution, as I recall some things getting slightly stained.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bite_size
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009 07:26:47 PM »

I went to an anime convention once where after the rave we took all the old ones and had a war in a hallway, throwing them and splattering them on people... And one girl was wearing white clothes and got a really neat splatter effect afterwards.
It made me wonder, if you mixed textile medium with it, could you use the insides as fabric paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009 09:31:48 PM »

I don't have any ides for using them since I have a pile of used glow sticks just sitting there myself, but I thought I would at least warn about using the insides. Once a glow stick is cracked, there are tiny shards of glass mixed into the liquid... getting those anywhere on your skin could be quite unpleasant so be careful when cleaning out the tubes or using the goo as paint.
Glow sticks also react strangely with some plastics, causing the plastics to shatter.
Sorry if this sounds like a safety lecture... I don't mean it to, I'm just clumsy and hate pulling tiny bits of glass out of my hands/feet  Cheesy

As for the freezer trick, yes, it works, but only if the glow stick is still glowing when you put it in there... so if you have a glow stick that is meant to glow for six hours, have used it for two then put it in the freezer, it will glow for another couple hours once you take it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Granny_Leah
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009 05:05:56 PM »

The bracelet ones will work part way again if they are crunchy. Just bend them all over and shake. The color may only be on one end.
We hook old bracelets together in chains and hang dangling down for room dividers, and use them for dungeon and pirate chains at Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010 01:22:41 PM »

i get to re-use them for our youth group activites - just pop them into the microwave - maybe 20 seconds at a time shake 'em
nuke 'em again if need be - different microwaves require different times - also you can try using the defrost mode for a longer time - experiment - just be careful not to leave it too long - the small ones get hot! that's how glowsticks work in the first place - heat reaction of the chemicals inside.

night light: at our youth group event, we were using the glowsticks for lotsa activites. at the end of the night we put 8-10 of them in an empty pop bottle and it glowed all night!

I like the key ring fob idea for the big ones - hot glue a big pompom on the flat end - glue some googly eyes - maybe antennae
ooo!- use a yellow pompom, black antennae, use a black chisel marker and draw rings around the large glow stick - kinda like a glowing bumble bee bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Chili in a Bread Bowl
How to make Pumpkin Pie
How to make Fried Pork Chops
How to make Chicken and Dumplings
How to make Cornbread Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...