A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weird wooden watch wotsits??!!!  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Clare1805
« on: September 06, 2009 09:05:28 AM »

I was walking past my local jewellers shop a couple of weeks ago when I spotted 10 of these pretty wooden thingies in the skip. The veneer is so pretty that I just had to take them but despite looking at them for about 3 weeks I just cannot think of anything to do with them - any thoughts???

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 09:25:27 AM »

Hubby said they were display cases. And Accurist is a watch company. So they are probably display cases for watches.

I am not sure what to do with them. Maybe some sort of collage, but I am not really sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 09:29:31 AM »

what are the dimensions? It looks like the 'tongues' could slide into a base and use as cd holders? Anything with a hole says light fixture/shade to me. Are the backs lined?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
arlene1960
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009 07:37:17 PM »

What dimensions are these wooden boards?   I am assuming not very large if they displayed watches on them.   Are the letters on both sides?   Do you think that you could sand off the writing?   Some ideas are floating around in my head.  Weaving the pieces together in a fanned out manner to make a round display for the wall decoupaging some pictures of decorative edging to the pieces.   Or weave them back to back so that they can be spread open and use them inside a box like file folders to seperate and organize small papers.   (If you do paper crafting) or other craft items that can benefit from being stored flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009 04:36:17 PM »

I'm thinking paddles. For a kayak or canoe, one piece on each end of a PVC pipe, tied into place with rope/cord using the slats, then epoxied or whatnot to keep them stuck in position.
Or just a paddle for whacking someone in the behind.  Cheesy SuperGlue would probably be sufficient for that purpose. But I've never tried it, so don't take my word for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 04:56:33 PM »

I'm thinking paddles. For a kayak or canoe, one piece on each end of a PVC ....
Or just a paddle for whacking someone in the behind.  Cheesy SuperGlue would probably be sufficient for that purpose. But I've never tried it, so don't take my word for it.

That is what I thought you meant on the first sentence. LOL I seem to have this kinky mind lately. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
calluna
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009 07:22:54 PM »

That is what I thought you meant on the first sentence. LOL I seem to have this kinky mind lately. Cool

Frequenting Craftster will do that to ya.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010 11:00:52 PM »

i like the kayak paddle idea - drill a couple holes in a piece of pvc pipe and thread
some nuts & bolts thru

you can try to remove the printing using nail polish remover/ lacquer thinner - try seeing if it will affect the finish on the bottom corner first.

it screamed unique book ends to me - make a vertical cut halfway up on one and halfway down on the other (make sure your cut is as wide as the thickness of the board) then slide one into the other

cutlery drawer dividers - not sure of the size of these - cut them in 3" wide strips lengthwise - use the same cutting procedure as the bookends cutting halfway up & halfway down and sliding the sections together

gift cutting board:
write around the perimeter in cursive using a black permanent paint marker "bon appetit" or another french or italian food phrase. make a homemade loaf of bread  or
block of cheese, maybe include a knife - tie it all up together with a piece of ribbon!

whatever you choose to do - have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010 10:53:12 AM »

Everyone has such great ideas for these, now I wish I had them! haha

Because of the holes, I'd say you can easily make another shelf out of them?  Use thin pieces of wood to put through the holes and hang necklaces/bracelets from them?

I do like the Kayak paddle idea!  And if you're into that stuff, you can make decorative paddles and hang them on a wall somewhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
megfitz
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010 11:40:34 AM »

Hi,
I was thinking of turning them into a wooden wind chime since you already have holes. Depending on the size, they may make too much of a clatter.

Big Smiles,
Meg
www.mytakeon-everything.com
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 11:45:30 AM by megfitz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Fix Details with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...