A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vinyl lattices  (Read 1489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yttrai
« on: July 29, 2009 07:10:11 AM »

Hi gang-

So friends of mine are giving me around 10 pieces of vinyl lattice that used to go under their porch before they put on a deck.  They are white, and in the standard 4' x 8' size.  They are in decent condition, and really only need a quick spritzing with a bleach solution to get off the worst of the mildew and dirt from leaning against their garage for a year.

So this is my first summer in my new house, having moved in in May.  The house itself really has no place to put lattice, the porch being enclosed and the foundation being in decent shape and less than 4' high anyway.

The garden is separated from the neighbour by a normal chain link fence, so people have suggested zip tying the lattice to the chain link to prettify it a bit.  There is also a concrete retaining wall along the parking area that is rust stained and not so attractive.  The lattice could be used to disguise the concrete a little.

But none of this really excites me all that much. 

The only other semi-original idea i had was to make feet and a frame for each piece individually, so they basically become outdoor room dividers, and thus some can be used along the concrete, but others could be used to make a low wall around the patio area.  And if we have a party or BBQ and we spill out into the parking area, since the lattices are individual, we just move them.

But this still, while clever, strikes me as being not living up to the full potential.  So i leave it to you, o my Craftster geniuses.  Please think of cool ways to employ 10 4'x8' vinyl lattices Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009 01:36:33 PM »

Well, if you have a 16 x 20 room you can hang them from the ceiling and paint them so they will either blend in, stand out or compliment your ceiling color. I'm sure they don't weigh that much.

Or up against a wall in your home, hang tea light jars from them.

You could cut them into 4' squares and use as large frames to set off some of your artwork or group photos in each square.

You could also cut them into 4' squares and overlap and make 3 dimensional wall art. Just think to yourself, what would Hilde Santo Thomas do? LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
jeniferpi

crafting completes me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 03:31:42 AM »

these can also be great for renters who can't or don't feel comfortable putting too many holes in their walls.

Clean the lattice, leave as is or paint it to a desired color. You can then use it propped up against a wall as a pot rack, utencil/towel/gadget holder. You could also us it to hang photos/posters/artwork on. Screw hooks into it and us it to organize a craft room, hang coffee/tea cups from, use it to hang your calendar on and then decorate with things done, like postcards from galleries/museums visited, ticket stubs, postcards, photos, kids drawings, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/jeniferpi

50 in 2010

I <3 photography-punk rock-tattoos-cooking-Martha Stewart-skateboarding
Yttrai
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 09:10:03 AM »

Well, if you have a 16 x 20 room you can hang them from the ceiling and paint them so they will either blend in, stand out or compliment your ceiling color. I'm sure they don't weigh that much.
Not a bad idea, although i just spent a month cleaning and painting the inside of my new house Wink So covering up my awesome paint job with lattices isn't really part of the plan, though for people whose tastes run that way, it's a great idea!

My tastes run halfway between Asian/Minimalist/Zen and Eclectic.  White is not part of the picture, nor is a garden style lattice.

However, you do make me realise that my unfinished and rather dark and dank basement might be improved with the lattices as well.  If i stick with my plan of making them into movable outdoor room dividers, there is no reason why i can't use them downstairs in order to make the basement into smaller areas.  So i'm definitely shortlisting your suggestion. If Craftster had a posrep system i'd be repping you right now Smiley
these can also be great for renters who can't or don't feel comfortable putting too many holes in their walls.

Clean the lattice, leave as is or paint it to a desired color. You can then use it propped up against a wall as a pot rack, utencil/towel/gadget holder. You could also us it to hang photos/posters/artwork on. Screw hooks into it and us it to organize a craft room, hang coffee/tea cups from, use it to hang your calendar on and then decorate with things done, like postcards from galleries/museums visited, ticket stubs, postcards, photos, kids drawings, etc.
While for me, a homeowner, these won't work, for a renter they are in fact great ideas.  You also deserve posrep Smiley

And since i don't have the wall space to use these inside as organizers, you also make me realise that until i can afford a shed, they would make a decent garden tool organizer.  If one of the outdoor room dividers is vertical and not horizontal, just hang hooks or flowerpots from it to store my outdoor tools.  And it'll be movable so as i rip up more and more of the ugly blacktop i won't have to worry about dismantling and reassembling.

Still looking for ways i can use these outside, since the inside of my house is A) Freshly painted and not in need of white vinyl and B) too small for giant art installations.  Anybody else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009 10:24:15 AM »

Not off the top of my head. But thanks for the pos.rep comment. I kinda had to look up what that meant.

I would just work them against the foundation then on the side, and use to 'decorate' the foundation wall. If you plan on partying outside, use tea lights or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010 12:52:58 PM »

in my other posts I love using "patio paint" - a dark green spray paint used for plastic lawn furniture - it's not shiny, hides outdoor dirt, and hides imperfections. use a pressure washer first to clean the lattice before painting.

I liked your outdoor patio enclosure idea, an 8' section would be wobbly and would topple with wind maybe 4-5' long.
to keep the breeze down & for more privacy weave fabric strips/silk flowers / vines/greenery through them. also weave inexpensive white twinkle lights through them (if You're good at stringing them each panel's lights will plug into the one next to it's lights ) use baby food jars, put a tealight in them, use wire wrapped around the jar's rim to create hanging luminaries. hang them from the lattice top edges every couple feet. if you're crafty inclined buy a can of cobalt-coloured spray paint, spritz some paint into its cap, use a paintbrush and paint blue leafy vine designs on the outside of the baby food jars
the nice thing about the enclosure is you can have your bar-b-q in there & hang your bbq utensils from "s-hooks" hung thru the lattice.

whatever you choose to do - have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...