A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help - advice when buying a used wheel for spinning newbies?  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarie14
« on: July 28, 2009 12:23:32 PM »

I'm pretty new to spinning - I can work a drop spindle decently well, and I've been taking lessons on the wheel.  I'm going to look at a wheel tonight, and it was too short of notice to bring anyone experienced with me, so I'm hoping you all can tell me what to look out for.

The seller is a woman from our local spinners' guild - she was selling two wheels and this was the one I was interested in:

1.  Louet S10 single-treadle with skeinwinder and 3 of the old 2-speed bobbins (I think ratios are 5.5 and 7.5:1).   There are no dings or chips.  Susan Conover [a local instructor] spun on this wheel last year and said it spun just like the new ones she sells.  These S10s are almost indestructible.  After I bought the wheel 3 years ago, I bought new accessories for it (in parenthesis are the retail prices):

new drive band
3 regular bobbins, ratios 5.5, 7.5 and 10:1 ($92.85)
high-speed spinning set (high-speed flyer and 3 high-speed fatcore bobbins)($249)
4-bobbin lazy kate ($110)

She's asking $250, which I know that for the wheel alone is a good price.  My biggest concern is she said she had to get it out of storage - I don't know if that means a hot storage unit block or a closet. Tongue 

I've been reading up, and I know I need to make sure all the parts are there and that the wheel doesn't wobble/isn't warped.  Anything else please?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 01:18:18 PM »

Sit down at it and make sure the wheel runs true.  I expect it will because I've heard the S10 is virtually indestructable!

Is the price for the wheel, skeinwinder and 2 bobbins, or is she including the rest also??

You do know that Louet wheels have an Irish Tension (i.e. bobbin lead)??  Not bad, just different than wheels with Scotch or DD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
cmarie14
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009 01:26:31 PM »

Cool, that's good to know.  I heard that the S10 is almost indestructable from the seller as well as one other place, but it's always good to hear it again. Smiley

Everything is included that I listed.  She has a Woolee winder that would probably be nice to get, but unless she's selling it for a quarter of it's original price, it's above my budget right now. Tongue

I actually tried an Ashford, but I've been learning on a Louet, so I think it will be fine.  You know what they say about beginners - you don't have preferences yet. ;P  I didn't notice a difference in the two machines that was related to anything but my skill level, but that's so low I don't think I would have noticed something if it hit me in the face. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009 05:34:48 AM »

LOL!

Enjoy your wheel then! 

The WooLee Winder is a wonderful addition.  I held off getting one for 6 years, but (thanks to an unexpected bonus check) I now have one for my Kromski and would love to have Nathan make one from my Traveller Jumbo.

If you have questions, please pop back in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Designer Launches Rooster Shoes
Let Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba, and More Be Your Guide to Getaway Style
Who Rocked The Zuhair Murad Frock: Padma Lakshmi Vs. Alessandra Ambrosio?
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...