A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poppet Hair Tutorial using Saran/Nylon Doll Hair **Work in Progress**  (Read 3234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2009 11:28:39 AM »

A while back, I was looking for a way to make hair for my poppet that didn't use yarn.  In case you weren't aware, I needed a way to do short straight hair, and I wasn't able to figure out how to do so with yarn.  No one seemed to know how to go about doing this with 'traditional' doll hair, so I figured that I would be the guinea pig/researcher and figure out a way to do it.

That having been said, I did finally manage to figure out *A* way to do this.  I'm not saying it's the best method, just that it's the way that I'm doing it right now.  Knowing me, I'll figure out a faster 'easier' way at some point.  However, for now, this is how I'm doing it.  It is working well.

Words of Caution:
**I've not finished this head, so this is a tutorial-in-progress.  I have enough done that I'm confident that you bright people can figure out the rest of the process.  When I make it to the next step, I'll post more instructions about parts, styling, cutting etc.

**This is NOT A FAST METHOD.  I'm not kidding.  I don't reccomend this for your first poppet, or for a comission poppet that you've got a deadline for, at least until you get proficient at it.

**Read the whole thing before you get started.  I've made a LOT of mistakes in the process of figuring this out and I'd be sick to think that any of you made the same mistakes I did.

**This sort of hair is bought in hanks, the lengths vary depending on what you're doing (sounds vague, I know, but check out the sites that I've provided links to, I promise it will make more sense)

Ok, now that my warnings are out of the way, on to the instructions!

1.  Get your poppet pieces sewn, stuffed and ready to go.  Do NOT attach the head to the body, but get the nose and eyes done and the head stuffed.

2.  Measure your baby's head around where you think you want their hairline to be.  This is VERY important, do NOT skip this.  Cheesy

3.  According to one of the sites that I looked at while figuring this out, you need about an inch of hair hank to do an inch of doll head.  This is a rule for Barbies and the like, but I feel that it works for poppets as well.  You'll need to have an idea of how long you want the hair to be.  It works like this:
      Poppet A's head is 7" around.  I want hair for her that will be WHEN STYLED about 4" long.  To be safe, I'll say I need 5" of hair, that way I can cut and style as I see fit.  That means I'll need about 35" inches of hair to do her head.  Does that make sense?

4.  Once you've figured out your estimate of how much hair you'll need, find a good supplier.  I recommend either Dolly Hair or Restore Doll.  You'll notice that there are options for hair, for the most part it is up to you which style you choose, if you're going to bake it for any reason, you'll need to get Nylon or it will shrivel like a mad thing.  There are a LOT of color option, and most places will blend two or more together for you. 

5.  Now you wait for them to deliver your hair Wink

6.  Once you've got your hair in your hot little hands, you'll need to gather supplies.  Gather the following:

In this photo, you'll see a glass, a zip-top bag full of water and hair, a cup of coffee (no, not optional Wink), a needle (a use a doll needle) and a tiny crochet hook.  You do not have to have the hook, but it can make life easier.

7.  This is where I'm of two minds about this process.  I cut all my hair before I even started.  I'm not sure that is the best way to do it, but it's not going to mess you up if you go that route.  However, if you over ordered hair, then I'd really reccomend cutting it as you need it so you don't waste any on the off chance that you've got too much.

8.  Take your cut to legnth hair and put it in a bag of water.  Trust me, you'll thank me and you later.  You can also use a bowl of water if that's easier for you.

9.  Reach in your water and grab yourself a chunk.

You'll see in this photo that there is a LOT of free hair making this chunk not sleek, that's ok, we'll fix that.

10.  Grab the hair lightly at the most 'clean' end and strip off the extra hair like such.

Put that extra in your glass for use later.

11.  Most chunks of hair will try to break into smaller pieces on their own.  Pull off one of those smaller pieces.

These smaller pieces usually pull clean as long as you don't think too much about it Wink

12.  That smaller piece will also split into smaller pieces.  This is where this method shows that it was designed by Handsy.  I don't count the hairs in each group.  I found that if I do this, I want to stick a straw in my eye.  Through a LOT of trial and error I discovered that you need to have a group of hair for each plug that is about the same width as your needle, otherwise it won't stay in place. 
Here's what it looks like when you split it into these plugs:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 11:43:19 AM »

**I had no idea there was a character limit, LOL**

13.  I use the tip of my needle to split the hair into plugs, like so:

14.  You need to get this plug pointy at the end.  You can dip it in your water, or if you're me and in a hurry, you can do this with your mouth.  LOL, I wash the hair after it's all done.  It needs to look like this:

15.  You need to put a knot in this end.  I apologize for not having better photos for this, I only have 2 hands Wink

Once you get it like this, you can use the little hook to pull all the ends through quickly or you can use the tip of the needle for the same purpose.  Either works well, this is at your discretion.

16.  Now you need to make the other end a point with your chosen method and thread it through your needle

17.  To put the plug into the poppet's head, I reccomend starting near an ear.  Ideally, you should have an idea of how it's hairline will go (widow's peak, high forehead etc).  Basically, you put the needle in and pull it through.  This will have the knot on the inside.  An example of this looks like this:

You'll repeat this all over your poppet's head.  Be sure to put the plugs as close together as you can manage to insure that the hair looks like hair.

A word on hairlines:  Remember that poppet's heads are not in the same proportions as human heads, so the hair is going to 'grow' differently than a persons.  A lot about hair depends on where you put the ears, if you want them to 'sprout' from the hair (like I do) or if you put them low where they're more like human ears.  Either way, you'll need to be conscious of the forehead space, too low and it makes your poppet look less intellegent.  That might be what you're after, but just keep that in mind.

Like I said, this isn't done, but I'll finish it once I get to the next step!  Let me know if you've got questions or comments.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 04:48:18 PM by HandsyMalone » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009 12:01:59 PM »

thanks !!!! I was looking for something like this !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
HandsyMalone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009 12:18:07 PM »

Sure thing! If you've got any issues, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 04:14:37 PM »

looks great! The picture at the very end isn't working for me though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009 04:49:43 PM »

I fixed the image link, I'd forgotten the whole file name, LOL!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009 06:13:10 PM »

Oh wow that is looking great! I'm impressed you've had the patience to get that far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Your Focus Squares - Canon 40D
How to use the Canon Rebel XSi DVD - Tutorial
The Luxmen Videolights Mini Pro and Qz Lux - Review
How to use the Color Balance Coach in 5 steps
The Camray 600 from Aurora - Review
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...