A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I think I made my perfect purse (pic heavy)  (Read 1554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftscout
« on: July 28, 2009 06:39:39 AM »

I have always had a hard time finding the perfect purse.  Generally, I don't like to carry a lot, and I like my hands free.  But there are those days, you know when you have 30,000 errands to run, and you have to carry the mail and a shopping bag and a notebook and your phone and your camera etc. etc. etc. Well I think I finally found the perfect style for me:

It's 7" by 7" by 2" deep at the bottom.  It's got a triangular profile which I am really digging right now.  It was constructed using the Sha-Sha Dream Bag and Lined Zippered Pouch tutorials here on Craftster.  It has what some of my friends would call a boring upholstery weight canvas exterior, and a lovely batik interior, with a pocket big enough for a phone, or as you can see in the pic - feminine needs.

But that's only part of the story. Smiley  Here's part 2:

Constructed the same way as the larger one, but this one is 7" wide by 5.5" tall by 2" deep at the bottom.  Same batik interior, but no pockets.

Story isn't finished yet!  The conclusion:

Here's the last one, 7" by 4" by 2" at the bottom.  It's not really much bigger than a large wallet.  It has pockets for my essential cards (driver's license, credit card, movie card) and headphones, and is just big enough for my phone, keys, and sunglasses.

I love, love, love this idea (which I blatantly borrowed from Levenger, who did it in leather) because it is so modular.  It means that I really only need one purse, but can have "big purse" days and "little purse" days.  And no forgetting the essentials because they're in my other purse!  I am also thinking about taking some of my leftover strap material and making a little wristlet style handle for my "just running out to get the kids" days.  But for my normal days, I like having a LONG strap:

I had so much fun making this purse, and KNOW I will love using it.  Thanks for looking, C&C appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
Lellibo

Failiure is always an option

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 07:50:09 AM »

Those bags are fabulous they're the sort of thing i need. this rocks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes
Ammonite
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009 08:57:08 AM »

That's a really cool idea! Looks great too  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty bat
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009 11:16:07 AM »

OOH - I noticed that you connected the straps via the side seams (saw the little tab with the d-ring at the top sewn into the side seam).  This is really ingenious and would make the job of putting the zipper in the top MUCH easier.  Kudos to your smart design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sylrpt
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 12:18:40 PM »

I'm not seeing how this works and I couldn't find the previous one you referred to  - is it 3 separate pouches that you have attached together?  How does that work?  Sorry for so many questions but I love the idea and your interpretation of the idea - great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftscout
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009 04:39:34 AM »

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Sylrpt - yes, it is three different pouches, each with D-rings on the sides.  These can then be attached to the strap using hooks on the ends of the straps, in whichever combination or order I want.  The inspiration was in a catalog (Levenger) which specializes in leather bags, paper products, and pens.  All yummy, but all expensive! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
scifimama
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009 10:18:57 AM »

I LOVE this idea.  My current dilemma is that I use my purse as my camera bag, and vice versa, so every time I go anywhere that I don't need my big ass camera, I have to take it out and leave it on whatever childsafe surface I can find.  Having it set up like this would cure so many problems.  Thanks for the fantastic idea! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limemade
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 01:58:32 PM »

I think that you made MY perfect purse, too!!!  Oh my goodness I love that...  I must steal it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am trying to turn all of my non crafty friends and relatives into crafters. It's like a cult. I want everyone to become addicted to my obsessions!
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009 12:22:16 PM »

That's a great idea. Co-ordinating styles and designs can be put inside of each other for easy storage, can be changed just for the heck of it. Love the patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mastering the Perfect Omelette
Spam Championship: Shoulder Pork Ham Is a Big Deal, Apparently
Sausage and Peppers Po-Boy Recipe
Apple-Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...