A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Back To School Wardrobe **PIC HEAVY**  (Read 1883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsmartin428
« on: July 27, 2009 05:39:50 PM »

This year my daughter wanted me to make her most (if not all) of her back to school clothes, so I got started on it about two weeks ago.  I want to make her some special outfits as well with applique's and the whole bit...but I think this is a good start for normal everyday kind of wear.  All of the outfits have matching headbands because I'm letting her grow her bangs out and I cannot stand them being in her face.

I had originally intended for this to be her first day of school outfit, but I think the jumper is a little too big.  It's a YCMT pattern (CarlaC's Simply Sweet).

I had enough fabric left over to make this skort (YCMT CarlaC's preppy skorts).  I think this one will be her first day of school outfit instead.

For the top I used CarlaC's Peasant pattern with the ruffled neckline and sleeve option.  The skort is the same pattern I used for the previous one, I just made it a bit longer.  The fabric was a shower curtain that my mom had made, hung up to see how it looked in her bathroom, then took back down when she decided she didn't like it.

Easy-Fit pants made from extra fabric.

You can't tell by her expression, but this is her favorite outfit...but I cut the elastic too short and it's a bit too tight so I have to pull it out and redo it.  Another CarlaC preppy skort, this time done with the twirly-skirt option.

Sophie Tunic (YCMT) with easy-fit pants that I modified to make into a flare leg.

I can't remember the name of this pattern, but it's another YCMT one.  It's not as baggy as it looks, I haven't sewn the button onto the back yet.  The pants were made from some velvet decorator fabric my mom gave me after she decided she didn't want to make a slip cover afterall.   Grin

Another CarlaC peasant top with easy fit pants.

Sophie Tunic made with the fabric I had left over after I made her skirt.  This one is her favorite shirt...it's a batik but I'm not sure of the fabric content...feels almost like silk.  My husband calls it "her 70's-going-to-the-disco-shirt".

I'm still making more stuff...and I also started making outfits for my youngest daughter (21 months) as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009 05:48:03 PM »

Very cute outfits and very cute daughter! You can see by her expression that she is very happy and lovin' the outfits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009 05:49:21 PM »

Those look great. What a lovely, lucky little girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
schtankylu
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009 06:25:25 AM »

No wonder she asked you to make her wardrobe because if you were my mom I'd do the same thing!! These are all awesome! And she is so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kriminie
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 07:33:07 AM »

i don't have kids, but seeing your kewl sewing makes me wish i did so i could sew for them!! I'll have to see if i can steal my friends kids Cheesy they look great.. hope i dont sound stupid.. but ytmc???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know what I want to smell like when the giant alien bunnies come calling

MY ETSY - currently under construction - exhale
MY BLOG - ummm.. under construction?? - kriminie
kriminie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009 07:34:30 AM »

nevermind i figured it out.. google is a wonderful thing!! yay for a new site to obsessively read!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know what I want to smell like when the giant alien bunnies come calling

MY ETSY - currently under construction - exhale
MY BLOG - ummm.. under construction?? - kriminie
mrsmartin428
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009 07:42:08 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments.   Grin  I always feel intimidated when I post anything on here because there are so many talented people on this site.

I think what I'm most proud of is that I hardly spent any money to make all those outfits.  The white shirt was from a sheet set I bought at a yard sale for $3.  The khaki pants used to be a pair of my husband's work pants, but he's grown and they didn't fit anymore.  Most of the other fabric came from old curtains, shower curtains, and fabric that my mom gave me when she cleaned out her craft room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dlanna
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009 07:57:11 AM »

I'm impressed with all that you accomplished in two weeks! Time for me to get started! Everything looks great and your sweetie looks quite happy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsmartin428
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009 08:44:34 AM »

I'm impressed with all that you accomplished in two weeks! Time for me to get started! Everything looks great and your sweetie looks quite happy! Smiley

Thank you!

I got so much done because I did it all in stages.  I cut all the pattern pieces and safety pinned them with a note saying what pattern I used and all the elastic lengths on one day...then the next day did all the serging...then pre-pressed all the folds...then actually sewed them.  I waited until after dinner to do the headbands with the scrap fabric because the spray adhesive stinks something awful and the kids don't go outside to play after dinner (usually).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deeredone2
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009 11:34:32 AM »

Very cute outfits!!!  I think you're off to a great start for the school year.  Can't wait to get my household goods so I can start back sewing!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Ideas for Winter Boots and Coats
How to Wear a White Slogan T-Shirt
Tips for Pulling Off the Monochromatic Trend
How to Make Your Own Saint Laurent Inspired Chain Jeans
Best and Worst Dressed at 2014 BAFTA Awards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...