A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Wedding dress  (Read 8833 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009 11:38:28 AM »

I'd go with crystals.  it may be a bit more labor intensive, but investing in a homepro setter would make it go quickly, and faster than hand beading.  pack them tight at the top, so they're touching each other, covering the whole dress, and then loosen up the spacing as you go down the dress, so by the time you hit the skirt they're just sprinkled on here and there.  It would look stunning, and the way they catch the light is amazing.

that, or make the back lace up... cut a section out at the top so you just have a V shape (she would need a low back bustier for under it), finish off the raw edges with fabric from the removed section, and add lacing loops and ribbon to match she sash.  Or lace up the whole back in a straight line, like a corset.  Get fabric as close to the dress as you can (the shop may be able to help with that), add in two long panels with lacing loops, and then run a thick silk ribbon through them.  Maybe do it so it ends at the sash and looks almost like the sash is a continuation of the lacing?

(hand bound eyelets would also work, but they're a pain in the ass.  I think grommets may be a bit much for the dress, and would stand out in a bad way, which is why I suggested the loops)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009 11:58:10 AM »

WOW, the amount of love and support that is pouring out of this site for not just a fellow member but the relative of a member is why I spend a good portion of my day on here. If Craftster ran the world it would be a better place. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Lanysmiles
the conscience midget

it helps to smile, once in a while

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009 12:24:28 PM »

lace shawl?
the dress looks like perfection as it is!
whaat a beepin beep, she has serious issues if she has to copy your sisters wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009 12:38:11 PM »

It is a gorgeous dress for sure.  And although it isn't the end of the world, I can see why you wouldn't want to wear the same exact dress down the aisle in the same year as your friend.

I would suggest creating a whole new sash in the colors of the wedding.  If you don't want to take aprt the dress (who would??!!) Make the sash a gorgeous shiny fabric as shown in the champagne and tack it to the dress. 

I hope you will post pics of what you and your sister decide to do to the dress after you figure it all out.

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazylittlekels
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009 12:53:15 PM »

How about replacing the current sash with a chocolate brown lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Muria
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009 02:42:34 PM »

If Craftster ran the world it would be a better place. Smiley

And if WE ran the world, friends wouldn't be able to do this kind of thing.  Tongue

I could see a beaded or embroidered sash as well.  It would be gorgeous to have a champagne sash with brown embroidery, especially if the groom were to wear a matching embroidered vest (of course, then you have to make sure it's not girly embroidery).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009 02:42:59 PM »

A friend is having a nice, simple dress like that, but the back panel of the skirt and the train is going to be embroidered or decorated somehow with a sort of delicate, swirly leaf pattern in green.  Very simple but striking.

Maybe something similar in the wedding colours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
donniesgirl
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009 04:33:23 PM »

"Accidentally" dye the other girl's dress?  I know it's supposed to be flattering & all but I hate people like that.  If your sis is walking down the aisle first, it won't really matter - the friend will look like she copied.

I had some light blue embroidery on my halter style wedding dress - it was very subtle.  Using a color to match her wedding colors would stand out but in a subtle way.  My girl friend got married last year & her dress had a really intricate but light lace & beading around the bodice.  Maybe she could do something like that just on the end of the train.  Or maybe just the teensiest bit of gathered organza peeking out at the bottom of the train.  

Another thing is depending on the accessories, it could lool like a totally different dress.  Just don't tell the friend what she's doing ahead of time.  Wink  Like she could have a very intricate but airy lace/beaded fingertip veil.  Or some kind of a flower in her hair.  I like the shawl idea.  An accessory change would make the outfit look totally different.

Or if she really wants to ensure her wedding is a stand out, she could do something like this Wink :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

Moohoohwahaha
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 04:40:02 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009 05:32:27 PM »

i would leave the dress alone, she liked it that way for a reason. i would drop the psycho friend though. i really think she should just embrace her wedding day as her her own affair and not worry if someone else has worn the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvuch
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009 09:37:31 PM »

I bet you could turn that halter into a sweetheart somehow. Also adding an sheer overlay would be pretty easy. And you could embellish the overlay instead of the actual dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Shadows
How to Draw Horses
How to Draw Hearts
How to Draw Flames
How to Draw Faces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...