A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Wedding dress  (Read 8865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brittles
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009 12:37:04 AM »

She could bustle the train!
If you sew eyelets to the inside of the dress, then you can just string ribbon through those eyelets and knot them so the length of the ribbon between eyelets is shorter. It makes it all gathered and pretty, and after the ceremony she'd be able to just unknot the ribbon on the inside and wear the train down.

here's an example of what the back could look like
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00VBsTnEjhrLcNM/Bridesmaid-Dresses-STYLE423-.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystallized_art
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009 05:18:36 AM »

What if you beaded it into a cascading effect? Start with brown beads around the bottom and have it fade up into more sparcely placed orange beads. It would dramatically change the dress....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009 05:53:33 AM »

I agree with some of the other posters in that changing the sash color could make a huge statement.  Other than that, her style and accessories are going to totally change the outfit from her friends.

Shoes!!  How about a pop of color in her shoes rather than traditional white?  RED. Grin

Her bouquet, hair style, necklace, etc.

I don't think it matters that they have the same dress.  This will be her day and she will look beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
amaylikespunk
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009 06:35:59 AM »

I was married in 2006 and since then 2 other girls I went to high school with have been married in the same exact dress! But some things I did was bought a petticoat on ebay. It was huge and added a lot of volume under my dress. I wanted to dye it bright pink to add some color underneath but never got to it. She could dye hers orange or brown to go with her colors. This way she's not taking a chance in altering the dress in a way that's irreversible in case she doesn't like it in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009 07:06:17 AM »

I agree with all the other posters that the "friend" is being mean-spirited by copying everything... but how about this? Just give her wrong and gawdy detail information and maybe she will copy that! Us craftsters evil? No, not at all... that "friend" was evil first  Tongue

Anyways, some great suggestions have already been given and hopefully your sister's wedding will be amazing despite having to go through this.

Exactly the thought I had.

As frustrating as it is, I'd say she should also look at changing a few other things a little to make sure there are more differences. Making sure her hair & bouquet & such are distinctly different will help.

-Colored petticoat underneath. Really full wouldn't work with her dress but a more subdued petticoat will still give the dress just enough of a different flow and shape.
-Match the sash and the petticoat
Or...
-I see beading that is the same color as the sash on the sash then cascading off on to the dress, like the beads are an extension of the color of the sash fading onto the ivory of the dress. Since the sash is higher in the front...I'm having a terrible time trying to explain this. I can describe the effect better... Like the beads create a sense of the color from the sash, a continuation of the sash color, fading away into the dress as it flows away from the higher front...sort of cascading down the back. And, this is just my taste, I see it in the subtle champagne already used for the sash. But a bolder, darker color could be used as well. That may not have made any sense to anyone but me....

Looks like you have lots of good ideas to choose from...good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009 07:43:44 AM »

I skimmed the responses so far, and found no one mentioned this:
There is a panel that sort of covers the clevage, in between the low dip of the V neck.  You could change the color of that too.  And that could likely be done so it was not permanent. 
Other then that I agree with all above comments.   The idea of a lace bolero in one of her colors would look stunning.   Just a simple cap sleve shrug even....   Add color somewhere.

what a terrible "friend".  I do hope you sisters wedding is a blast, and the other girls wedding is boring and something terrible happens to that dress.......  oops.... I didn't know I could be that mean and catty.......  I guess such atrocious things brings out the B*@($ in some....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009 07:52:49 AM »

If my best friend did that to me, she wouldn't be one of my favourite people. Sad That's mean to copy everything, a wedding should be special and unique to you. Good luck on the dress, I hope it's a show stopper!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009 08:31:06 AM »

Well, you asked for opinions....

It looks like the train is seperate from the skirt.  What about lining the under side of the train with the champagne (or whatever color you might change the sash to).  You could also change the insert in the V-neck like has been suggested, and get a bit of symmetry going.

Beading could be thick right next to the top and bottom of the sash, and getting less dense going both up and down from there.

And another vote on the colored petticoat.  But I don't think I'd change the hem of this particular dress. Leave the lines the way they are.  (I'd love to see it on a different dress, though.)  It would peep out when she moves around.

Try to keep the main focus closer to her face, instead of people looking down near her feet.

Please, please let us know what your sister decides to do!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 08:36:34 AM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
eyeluvlilG
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009 11:05:12 AM »

I agree with the beading thing, I think that you have to make subtle changes because the dress is so beautiful as is.

Oh, and your sister's friend.... Sounds like she needs a new friend....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been working hard to post daily and keep providing creative content on my blog:
  http://acireg.blogspot.com
Etsy:
  http://acirebaby.etsy.com
  http://acireg.etsy.com
Facebook:
  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acire-Adventures-Blog/118056124922448
Twitter:
  http://twitter.com/4Acire
scottie
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009 11:19:03 AM »

Sparkles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Smith on His Photography Equipment
Selecting the Photographs for the Book Art and Soul
Brian Smith on Working with People
Inspiration for the Book Art and Soul
Framing the Shots for the Book Art and Soul
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...