A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friend backpacking in another country?  (Read 655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

unepagaille
« on: July 27, 2009 06:57:44 AM »

I have a friend who is living/backpacking in Australia for a year, her bday is coming up and I want to mail her something (from Canada) that will be useful on her trip, thoughtful, but not something she just has to carry around in her limited luggage. Nothing like "a cd from home" or pictures or things that would be "just" sentimental (aka: take up valuable space)... I made her best friend a travel wallet before she went away about a month ago, so I feel like giving her the same thing would be a bit predictable/not as thoughtful. Any ideas? She is turning 23, if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My ideal candidate? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable... fictional... and overqualified." - Dwight K Schrute (The Office US)

http://www.wists.com/xcera
Vicelikeplague
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 08:28:19 AM »

I travelled around Australia for a year, the one thing I wanted (which is not crafty - sorry!) was a bath plug!  

When I got home (and was planning to go again to New Zealand) my mum went out and got one for me, but made a long piece of weaving for it (it was in a plastic cord but I can't remember the name of the technique - something like scoobee doo?lol Scoubidou google this and you should find instructions) so that I could attach it to my wash bag and not lose it/leave it behind!  

Unfortunatley I never made it to NZ but I think the principle is sound!!  The other thing I intended to take with me was a cutlery set including a sharp knife - something that is impossible to find in a hostel, they were all blunt! maybe you could put together a pouch to carry cutlery in for her - oo include a tea towel as well!

Hope this helps somehow
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 08:49:16 AM by Vicelikeplague » THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009 03:51:47 AM »

Hm... I did a backpacking trip in Europe for a couple of months (also from Canada)... what would I have liked?

I guess a travel wallet is a good idea, even if you have done it before. The cutlery set with pouch/tea towel is a nice idea!

I was craving some foods from home that they didn't have over there (and I wasn't gone a whole year!!) - a foodie gift would be good, because it also means no carrying, and maybe getting away with not paying for food for day or 2.

Maybe some postcards from home that she could distribute to people.

A CD (but not just 'from home' Wink) would actually be a good idea if she's into NEW music - I've heard that they often get it a lot later there.

I actually also wouldn't have minded a new t-shirt or a zippered hoodie, but I don't know how 'tight' her packing style is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...