A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween Costume-A-Long? (2009)  (Read 25829 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , halloween , costume , dress_up  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2009 11:37:19 AM »

Well, I have "Take the little brother Trick Or Treating" duty this year. I have no clue what he's going as, but if I dress myself up right, I should be able to bring home a load of candy for myself (Yay for being on the shortside!!!)

I'm thinking of taking some things I have lying around, and be an evil pixie or something, since I'm not going to have the money to buy anything.

Things I have
Several different pairs of kneehigh black boots (need to pick a pair)
Short green and black pleated skirt from Hot Topic
Black tight duster thing
Black and blue wings (They got attacked, so they're black and they're blue...)

Things I'm thinking of making
Lacey hat (so I can shove pigtails through)
Mask (so people won't recognize me, and therefore not give me candy)
Choker
Gloves
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2009 05:05:42 PM »

bye bye cheshire..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2009 03:37:56 PM »

so.. cheshire didn't work out. first it was the tuu. so i went and bought a properly made tutu today. still no luck... BUT i can return the tutu and i saw a rainbow tutu and a head band with felt flower petals and  when i tried it on i looked like the most awesome flower. so i will return the purple tutu, get the flower things. on halloween i will wear a long sleeved shirt under this red top i have that matches it perfectly. i will also wear my striped leggings and most likely my green shoe covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2009 07:03:54 PM »

luvy- Sorry about cheshire cat....  At least you found something that will work.  Sounds fun!

Pixie- felt would be a quick solution for the mask, cut the edges in scroll patterns that resemble curling leaves, it would rock....if only I could give you the picture in my mind.

I'm having weather problems...need to dye a lot of black, but now it isn't weather I want to be outside in.... Putting plans for the corset on the back burner so that more important pieces get made.  Found boots to borrow so that are perfect, yeah for trucking mamas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
harledoescrafts
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2009 09:12:49 PM »

Started cutting up the sweater for my Amy costume as a way to procrastinate about doing my school work. I had to cut off enough fabric from the bottom to fashion a hood for the sweater, which I was afraid would mean cutting it too short but it's looking just perfect so far. Still gotta take it in, put on the hood, and install the zipper. Oh, and make Kif.

I'm starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew since this project requires so much sewing. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back....with a vengeance!
Kalanit
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2009 10:40:49 AM »

So I am having a change of heart on Halloween costumes. I never remember it being this difficult as a kid! I always knew exactly what I wanted to be by July! Perhaps its the pressure of being a costume design student who is going to a theatre party on Halloween. People are expecting top notch from me! I am still flipping back and forth between ideas, and I just need to settle and pick one. So help me..please. I will be going to said party about an hour and a half after rehearsal on Halloween, so I need to be able to get ready fast. A big plus would be if I can use the costume later as clothing.. Sorry in advance for the LONG post.

#1 Cleopatra
I would do a basic white draped sleeveless dress that is fitted in the bodice, probably out of some cheap chiffon. Black wig with bangs. Make little dread cuffs out of wire to jazz up wig.Make a gold sash out of gold lame or something a little softer (all depends what i can find on sale). Convince Mom to let me borrow my grandmothers awesome collar necklace (its got like 120 copper teeth like things) or spirit gum a fake (but realistic looking) snake to neck and have a little blood dripping down. Awesome gold eye make up with a very egyptian eye liner design. Buy some gold bangles that I have been meaning to buy anyway. Pros: little time. little money (if I buy things now, when its all on sale) I know I will be the only Cleo there. and I can quote from Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra (my cat is dressing up as Shakespeare. but will not be attending the party) Cons: Can't wear the costume later.

#2 1950s housewife
I am designing a play in the spring which takes place in the 1950s and is all about housewives, won't go into too much detail. I thought it might be neat to dress up as a perhaps slightly disturbed housewife, a bit like Stepford wives maybe. I would sew up an neat vintage pattern that I have been dying to make anyway: Butterick B5032 (the blue one)  Make a sweet apron that I could use around the house anyway, probably a frilly half apron perhaps with a human body part sticking out of pocket. Classic 1950s makeup and a french twist. Pros: Hype for the show Cons: more sewing than I may have time for and not too exciting.

#3 Librarian
Make some kind of pencil skirt, probably black or a plaid wool. Frilly blouse, preferably with ruffles or a pussy bow. I have a shirt that would work, but I would love to make one. My own glasses (seeing is a definite plus), make an eyeglasses chain, a must. Painted red nails, classic red lips, a beehive and a book. Going for the sublime stitching sexy librarian look. Pros: can wear everything as clothes later, easy and I won't be over dressed. Cons: too simple?

#4 Alice
My own take on a vintage style Alive. Make full circle skirt out of dusty blue fabric. Make a basic petticoat. Wear a white tank top. Make a little flutter sleeve bolero out of awesome ivory matte tiny sequin fabric that I have been pining for at Joanns. (now on sale for $3 a yard!) Make a black or pale blue feather half hat with black velvet bow. Make a half apron with card pocket. Wear textured white tights, all black wingtip mary janes and awesome ring that I got from AsphaltQueen, watchpart and teacup ring. Pros: can wear all the pieces as clothing later. Fun. Cons: I may not be the only Alice

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikki_nikk
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2009 10:12:22 PM »

So I just finished one for the cart. well...mostly. It's (my first) Loli Punk/Euro inspired tea party dress, I just need to finish the mini witch hat  (I love the one posted here!). I've changed my mind on this costume over and over (hmm now maybe I want a top hat) but anyhoo, I finally decided last night to just add a detachable apron, and boom. It works for me!I'm not completely satisfied with the apron, but I'm not going to obsess over it because it's keeping me from ripping it open and making the skirt part fuller. I can just make a whole new different dress!

It's going to be strange going from this to Elmo sometime later this week...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 12:47:52 PM by nikki_nikk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
graverobbergirl
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2009 08:11:40 PM »

Still have yet to get to putting together my own costume  Sad (stupid taking on commissioned costumes and moving at the same time!)

Hey, had a change of name, I posted the Victorian stuff. I'm almost finished, just an apron to go and I shall be a Zombie Victorian.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photographpixie6/3989776667/

I do think it is missing something...any suggestions, comments or criticism are always helpful. Cheers
Fee
x

Zombie Victorian sounds cool, and your costume is looking pretty good! Are you going to (eep) batter it up a bit to get that just-rose-from-the-grave look? And missing something... hm. Well if you're adding an apron. I suppose there could be a little jacket of some sort? Or... frilly umbrella? Hat?

I would suggest bolero or jacket-like item with classic crazy leg-of-mutton sleeves. But it's looking great anyway!!

luvelycritter-It seems like Cheshire has been fighting you this whole time. I'm glad you found something else to inspire (and that's not going to be so stressful to figure out)

Kalanit-I like all your ideas. Your cleopatra would definitely kick my sixth grade version's butt! I have always wanted an Alice costume, but now it seems like it's too popular... so I understand reluctance, even though you're take is probably a good/novel twist. Retro is fun to wear anytime, and having reusable pieces is probably a wise thing to consider. So, I'm not really helpful at all. I do quite enjoy all your ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2009 09:02:59 PM »

Nikki - that's looking really cool!  I think a mini witch hat would be adorable with it. (But heh - not in the Elmo way. That amuses me that you're doing both)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feywalker
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2009 07:29:36 AM »

Kalanit - I vote Librarian.  Alice has been done to death lately, Cleaopatra is a classic, but kinda boring.  50's housewife would be neat especially with the stepford wives tweeks.  So I guess either that or the Librarian, which could be fun.

Quick list so I know where I'm at:

Turtle shells (Hubby and I)
Dye sheets 1 yellow 1 green - done
make shells - to do, have all the supplies I think

Hubby green shirt (we're both just gonna wear jeans) Have
Green shirt for me - dyed (didn't turn out great, may have to find another
Green hat for Hubby - crochet (his shirt doesn't have a hood like mine) - Done

Squshy's costume:
Get pattern - done
alter pattern and sewing- to do, have fabric

Bands - Thinking of crocheting eye ones to get a good shape, but it may be easier to sew.
Need to get brown and draft out elbow and knee pads.

Swords - have
Si's - have
Nunchucks - need to make
bow - need to make

Dog's splinter costume - have fabric, need to draft pattern and make.

Basically I need to get going. Squshy and Hubby have flu, looks like I'm getting it, so not much has been done this weekend (long one too. Drat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Reciprocity
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 1
How to use the AV Mode on Your dSLR
Learn about Depth of Field
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...