A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween Costume-A-Long? (2009)  (Read 25266 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , halloween , costume , dress_up  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2009 10:00:25 PM »

Yay, lots more people! I'm still at a standstill with my costume. (Next trip: fabric shop). So:

Kalanit - I agree with N30 - people would probably at least get the silent film/black & white movie star, even if you have to tell them who exactly. That could turn out very cool. I've definitely seen Emily a few times, but it remains a very cool costume. And as for Ophelia (I was actually toying with that idea at one point) - make sure you look drowned and people may get it - at least if you're partying with theatre types! (Do the costumers and theatre types mix? Hm.)

Dragonflywer: I got REAL roses painted black (officially, with floral spray, by the florist) for a party I had. They weren't too pricey, and wouldn't be bad for just a few! There is also one type of real roses that are (pretty much) black - but they don't sell them around here, at least. I also got some pretty fake black roses in Halloween sections - I think I may have actually seen some in Michael's this year.
My votes: The first make-up is awesome, and I think it would look great with unruly red hair with black flowers in it! And the flamenco dress gets my vote on the outfit.

FeeSew - He's a very chic Cheshire. And please do elaborate! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2009 10:07:08 PM »

Nope, here's some moving forward - a possible tutorial to use as inspiration for my skirt!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=152053.0 (Reversable Pleated Skirt)

My costume plan reminder:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2009 08:28:05 AM »

awesome chesire! the face make up is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2009 10:52:13 AM »

Here goes long post WARNING with lots of pictures(sorry about the size!)

I'm making a victorian outfit, I have a petticoat so far and a bodice mock up...
Petticoat front and back

Bodice front and back

fabric for skirt

A corset I have that doesn't fit my bust(a bit too big)

And my boots!!

So I need help with the red skirt and the bodice, I want a longer length with a pleated flounce, like the images below...

I know I need to redraft my bodice pattern and the front, side front are simple but the side back and centre back I'm having problems with. I just can't work out how to do the pleated back part?

Also with my red skirt, my pattern is flat at the front that widens at the bottom and pleated at the back but it seems to hold the fullness of my petticoat in, is this supposed to happen?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help!
I also have another post about my second costume, hehe
fee
x

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2009 11:23:51 AM »

On to my second costume

Little red riding hood but like half mauled, I was thinking the scar the David gets in American werewolf in London, subtle Smiley
But 1950's style or traditional?

Was also think of getting this for the bodice and making a white top for underneath

So what do you guys think?
Cheers Fee x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2009 04:39:52 PM »

i need help.... i have this:

and i ams making ze ears but i am ztill not sure i am eeeffy about my coztume*. help?
i have no ideas for helping the other people's problems here, sorry! Undecided Undecided

*i am faking the accent here people and the costume is a chesire cat  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
N30Nb100d
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2009 05:58:04 PM »

FeeSewBug: I don't know how to do that back pleat or how to help with the skirt (pleat and drape a lot!), but it's a lovely costume. I wish you luck! For little red, I like the idea of 1950s style. With a fluffy petticoat and circle skirt. As a sort of side note, you mentioned victory rolls before. Victory rolls are from the 1940s if I remember correctly, not that anyone would pick up on that in a costume. Just thought I would mention it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graverobbergirl
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2009 12:32:15 PM »

Sorry all for starting thread and abandoning you! Lots of awesome stuff going on here, though!

FeeSewBug: You made me so excited I could barely type this! Victorian/Steampunk costuming has been my obsession as of late. The first piece I made out of this obsession was a bodice like the one you're considering. The tail insert is easy...it is just a rectangular piece. The bodice side back pieces however, are shaped so that they curve down. Here is the pattern I used:

If you want a better quality image/scan of it, I can probably email you one (just PM me).

(Here's mine from that pattern-after alteration for size; I am nowhere near as tiny as a Victorian woman.) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=305000.msg3492167#msg3492167

You could also do a bolero or different style bodice. There are some free patterns on http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/index.html. They also have Chemise pattern drafts, which would work under your corset, if you go with that.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 12:34:23 PM by graverobbergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Feywalker
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2009 02:42:23 PM »

I'm hoping hanging out here will help me get into gear.  My 3yr old dd decides the costume theme and this year ...drum roll please...TMNT (too funny when I read the first post graverobbergirl)  So now I have to make hers - jump suit style I think, front zipper, simplicity has a turtle costume (Mikey) I think would be a good jumping point, I'm thinking jacket/hoodie for the Hubby and I (Leo and Don) and masks ect, jeans as it will be dark.  The person who was going to be Ralph may now have to work, so I'll have to figure something out.  Oh, the Jack Russell (Max, our pest dog, he's larger than normal) is going to be Master Splinter.  I'm thinking just a Kimono, hey, he's got the nose for it.  My daughter is so excited about this.  

I picked up some white sheets at the thrift store and I plan to dye them (green ones and yellow ones) as well as the hoody I found for me (hope it takes the dye, we'll see) to  make the shells.  Can't get into the craft room right now, Hubby promises to clear his mess tomorrow.  yea Halloween!!!!!

KStaron *waves*  What about spats over your shoes with buttons on them and all?

Dragonflywer - There's a neat tute for coffee filter roses that look pretty real, what about those?

I've spaced and can't remeber who's doing the Cheshire cat - but what about knitting/crocheting stripped leg warmers?

Everyone's ideas look so neat.  Love the Victorian stuff.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 02:46:38 PM by Feywalker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
graverobbergirl
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2009 02:50:28 PM »

Feywalker -That sounds so awesome! I am feeling lonely now, for I have no entourage and must make my ninja turtles out of craft foam. (The puppy as Splinter totally rocks!)

I got my yellow fabric...just a matter of cutting and sewing (and fudging multiple patterns into one jumpsuit)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Eat All You Want on Thanksgiving and Still Look Great
Best Dressed and Sexy Trends at the 2013 American Music Awards
4 Cool Ways to Wear Plaid
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
What to Wear on Thanksgiving and the Days After
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...