A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharing the furoshiki love  (Read 6196 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye , furoshiki , gift_wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: July 26, 2009 09:16:37 PM »

I don't know if this really qualifies to be posted, since it didn't involve sewing, and these aren't exactly bags or purses until you fold them, but I know folks who look at this board love fabrics, and I just had to share a pic of the vintage scarves I bought at the thrift store and plan to use for furoshiki cloths (for gift wrap, shopping bags, etc.)  All the pretty colors together have me so happy I just have to share the image.

I had used fabric to wrap gifts before, but had never heard of furoshiki and didn't realize depending on how you fold them you can use the fabric squares for purses, as a replacement for grocery store bags, etc until I started reading more.

I decided from now on I am going to use furoshiki to wrap gifts as much as possible.   And instead of carrying a reusable shopping bag in my purse, I might just carry a furoshiki, since it folds down so flat and doesn't weigh a thing.

Although I can't afford to shell out money for a bunch of "real" furoshiki cloths from Japan, I decided vintage scarves would be an excellent option.  So I went to the thrift store yesterday and got all of the scarves pictured for $20 total, about $2 per scarf.  I decided I wanted to wash them and hang them out, so here they are out on the line.  I hand-washed them individually and was glad I did, because some gave off a lot of dye.  I don't think scarves are meant to be washed, but I wasn't too worried about ruining cheapie thrift store scarves.  Aren't they pretty?  I'm already looking forward to giving them away.

In case you want to know more about furoshiki, here are a couple of links.  The second link shows folding and tying techniques:
http://furoshiki.com/about/
http://furoshiki.com/techniques/

If you Google "furoshiki" you'll find lots of how-to videos.  There's also a PDF from the Japanese ministry of the Environment somewhere (don't have it handy) showing lots of ways to tie furoshiki.  I think when I give gifts I'll also print off the PDF and include it with the gift, so the recipient will know how to tie to furoshiki to pass it along to the next person.  If I find the link to the PDF I'll try to post it later.

P.S. Some of the scarves were wrinkly and kind of rough once they were dry, but I ironed them using the lowest possible setting on my iron, and they are smooth, soft, and lovely again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009 09:20:24 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
plummy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009 11:41:45 PM »

those are very pretty!  i am a big fan of furoshiki, i'm glad you enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
lotte_lou
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009 01:28:09 AM »

really love the idea, and the scarves you got have great colours.

laughed when i read you were going to print out the pdf, kinda defeats the purpose, huh. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leeska
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009 01:57:53 AM »

Great idea - I think the vintage scarves will be perfect.  Here's a one page how-to from Japan's Ministry of the Environment...it might not be enough for a beginner to follow from scratch, but it's defiantly enough to get the picture.
http://www.env.go.jp/en/focus/attach/060403-5.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap it like it's HOT...I do personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/Leeska
sewfumust
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009 06:05:20 AM »

I love furoshiki bags also.  You bought some wonderful scarves. Here is a video of an expert making bags in a Japanese boutique that sells beautiful scarves.  Haven't taught myself how to create a link yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7MH3EzBWM

There is also a simple sewn version made with a scarf/fabric that is 3 times as wide as it is long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009 07:11:10 AM »

I collect vintage scarves, so I'm really happy to see your post!  I've never heard of furoshiki, so I'm going to Google it and check it out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009 07:28:28 AM »

I love this idea, I'd never heard of furoshiki before but I'm definitely going to start putting my vintage scarves to good use now. I'd been looking for a way to cut down on wrapping paper for ages and this is perfect.

Thank you for sharing this link x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 08:31:10 AM »

Furoshikis are widely used in Japanese custom. Not only are they used for gift wrapping, it is used to keep anything together like picnic food. Instead of using plastic bags (which they didn't have back in the day), they wrapped things in furoshikis & the knot at the top makes a cool handle for carrying.

BTW, If you tie one corner kinda low & the other kinda high toward the ends, you got yourself a nice bag. It won't be structured or anything, but will hold your essentials very nicely.

**edit** I forgot to comment on your nice scarves, they are very colorful & would be well worth using as furoshikis (or bags).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009 08:33:16 AM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009 08:32:47 AM »

really love the idea, and the scarves you got have great colours.

laughed when i read you were going to print out the pdf, kinda defeats the purpose, huh. Tongue

I know it kind of defeats the purpose in a way, but not if the gift recipient includes the printout for the next person.  I just thought of someone knew how to tie them they'd be more likely to use it again, instead of just chucking it in the back of their sock drawer.  I know the casual recipient won't bother to research ways to tie these online.

Of course, I might be kidding myself that anyone will reuse them.  Not sure if my friends and relatives are as excited about fabrics and repurposing vintage items as I am.  We'll see!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009 08:36:00 AM »

Great idea - I think the vintage scarves will be perfect.  Here's a one page how-to from Japan's Ministry of the Environment...it might not be enough for a beginner to follow from scratch, but it's defiantly enough to get the picture.
http://www.env.go.jp/en/focus/attach/060403-5.html

That's exactly the PDF I was thinking of.  Thanks so much for posting it!  I couldn't quite remember where I'd seen it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Collagraph
How to Write in Graffiti Style
How to Start a Cross Stitch Pattern
How to Master Stick Figures
How to Draw a Pirate Ship
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...