A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Visual Journal (*a bit picture heavy*)  (Read 1426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

adecadeafter
« on: July 26, 2009 02:46:12 PM »

I'm a compulsive lurker on Craftster, so I decided to break trend today by posting snippets of my visual journal that I just finished (filled  Sad ). I've already bought and started on another one. I want to make one (bind my own book and everything) but I'm still working out the details on what kinds of binding and paper to use.
Anyway, I started it July 18th of last year and here are a few of my favorites.
This is my first page:

Most of my journal entries follow that suit:

Sometimes I'd get bored (as stated) and take my journal to work resulting in the following:

Others are song and poem inspired:

and others are just sorta emotion based and random:

Thanks for looking! I'm welcome to new ideas to try next time around.  I can't wait to post (and comment!) in the future. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MiLady
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009 02:51:32 PM »

Wow, I've never heard of a visual journal, but I've been keeping a diary since I was 4 (8yrs now) and it kinda looks like this except most of mine have lines on the pages which i totally ignore
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009 03:36:52 PM »

That is really amazing.  I've just started in the altered-journal along, and it's kind of addicting, and also therapeutic.  I really love your emotion based pages, especially the black and red one (I'm kind of having that feeling right now...) and the really simple but perfect Don't Panic.  Really nice stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009 03:47:08 PM »

I really like this. It's looks amazing. What a way to express your feelings and write down your thoughts. Great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melissaurus
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009 06:01:20 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted to make a visual journal, but've never been brave enough to do so. What kind of book did you use to make yours? Just an ordinary sketchbook?

And wow. I'm in love with basically every single page in here. I really do like the 'but you could win a rabbit' page. It's pretty darn awesome. The whole thing is real cool. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009 06:15:19 PM »

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom and welcome to craftster. I love these pages. I wish I had the inspiration to do something like this. Love your work/art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
adecadeafter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009 12:23:58 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted to make a visual journal, but've never been brave enough to do so. What kind of book did you use to make yours? Just an ordinary sketchbook?

You should try it! The best thing to do is sit there and doodle or write WHATEVER comes to mind. I mean anything from "that person sitting two chairs away needs to not talk like a banshee" to drawing little tornadoes over and over again. eventually it'll come out. Add some color/mixed media later when you're feeling artsy and it'll get easier and more unique to you as you go. If it's your first time I'd recommend getting a cheap spiral to doodle in. It takes the pressure off of having to fill an expensive book (forced art is never as good as art that you feel).

Mine is a really cheap (but totally awesome) sketchbook I found at B&N for about $11. It's apart of the Working Class Studio (from the Savannah College of Art and Design). They have a lot of different and fun designs to choose from. It's a large book with lots of room and full letter sized pages. It also has perforated pages that are easy to tear out--a major selling point for me. The only issue I have with it (other then it being over-loved and needing duct tape surgery.) is the pages are not the best for watercolors- my favorite medium, but I've learned to manage. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icemaiden
CSI addict!!

Annoy me...I'll set my pet sock,stripy, on you!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 01:11:19 PM »

I love your journal. Such an amazing idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall,ninety-nine bottles of beer.Swab one down,run it through CODIS,ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall"

"Would you mind if I took a picture for my bite collection?"
"Whatever rubs your Buddha."

"Don't touch me.I'm evidence
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot at Night Without a Flash
Cropping in Camera
Understanding Composition and Framing
Understanding F-Stops in Photography
Wildlife Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...