A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,349
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP PLEASE! Minnie Mouse Costume skirt  (Read 8689 times)
Tags for this thread: hand_sewn , skirt , beginner , minnie_mouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

square1yo
« on: July 26, 2009 01:48:11 PM »

Hi everyone. I know it's a bit early, but I'm trying to make a Minnie Mouse costume for Halloween. I won't have anytime really once September hits and I'd much rather make it than buy one. I'm going a bit old school with Minnie, and instead of doing a dress, I just wanted to make the skirt and add a black top.

I was thinking maybe something with tulle or possibly a pettiskirt. The thing is, I don't have access to a sewing machine, so it's all going to be hand sewn. I'm also a beginner sewer.

Any ideas? Any help would be lovely, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009 02:33:48 PM »

considering all the facts, this will be VERY hard, but some people just pick it up naturally and that could be you Smiley

you need to make a circle skirt, preferable in black and white if you are going old school minnie, that should be easy enough to sew by hand

the petticoat wont be as simple, its not that easy on a machine sometimes. this is the piece i always recommend buying, cos unless you buy the cheap scratchy toule, it will cost more than a petticoat at the store
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
square1yo
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009 03:54:54 PM »

thank you so much! i i've looked at a few circle skirt patterns, and it looks like something i can handle. i'm crossing my fingers!  Smiley

and i actually got a sewing machine. it's a little tabletop one with only 2 speeds. so i think it'll be good for me, not too many buttons or anything. lol. if i can't get the hang of the machine, i'll just sew it by hand, so no worries there.

thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009 04:02:50 PM »

good luck! i hope you post your end result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
itsamutiny
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009 05:05:17 PM »

halloween stores sell cheap petticoats for maybe $30. i'd suggest buying one of those instead of making your own, unless you plan on wearing the petticoat a lot for everyday wear. the time and effort needed is just too much for a halloween costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FriendlyJas
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009 09:00:46 AM »

I saw an adorable Minnie Mouse costume made with a white T and a tutu. You could easily make a pink tutu from tulle (no sew) and hot glue white dots to it. I saw one on Etsy, I think, that was super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tawiker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009 08:47:27 PM »

I purchased some petticoats for my daughter's on ebay from seller victoriangirldress:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Victorian-Girl-Dress__W0QQ_sidZ849294675?_nkw=petti*&submit=Search

Paid only around $20 each - they are full and soft. My daughter loves it!  Good luck with your costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 1/2
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 2/2
How to Use the Render Que - Adobe After Effects
How to Create Templates - Sony Vegas Tutorial
How to Stop Camtasia Studio From Lagging
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...