A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress? Skirt? Need some advice on how to finish this!  (Read 2677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kena_r
« on: July 25, 2009 12:41:26 PM »

Hi all! My very first topic on Craftster!! I've been reading here for ages, but only recently started sewing myself. This is my first completely new (no recon) project! Well, except for that disaster of a corset top I tried, which was waaaay above my league, but that's another story.  Roll Eyes
So I used this tutorial for a pinafore thingie: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107286.0.
Only I used more fabric, so that if I would make some mistakes it wouldn't be too bad. This is what I got:

But then, I figured out that I could also wear it like this!

Now, my question to you: how to finish this? Should I go for one of both styles, or is it possible to keep it like this, multifunctional? Should I add straps (probably, because I might have a nipple accident otherwise Shocked), and how should I put them? Should I keep the lenght as it is now?
I really hope you can help me! As I'm still a novice in this, I'm open for all advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merlina
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 12:57:22 PM »

Ooh, I love it! I like it best as a skirt since I'm crazy about high-waist skirts, but it looks great either way. Perhaps you can add adjustable straps? Perhaps two-part straps (or ribbons or pieces of fabric) that tie at the shoulders?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
travelgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009 01:08:33 PM »

i like it as a dress, but that could be because i'm partial to dresses, however it looks cute both ways. in terms of adding straps... what cam to mind if you still want it multi functional would be to put buttons on the inside and then you have detachable straps... if that makes sense. there would probably be an easier way, i just like to do things the hard way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009 02:11:42 PM »

Going on what travelgirl said, I would do this:

You don't even have to attach it in the back, and make it like a halter top that goes around your neck and attaches on the bodice.

However, if you don't want a bow, I would get clips (click here) and attach accordingly so the straps are entirely removable.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009 02:14:16 PM by polutechnos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009 03:21:22 PM »

I'm partial to the first pic. Brings in your waist and looks great! Second pic is good as well, Length is good, I understand the strap question, I worry about that too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anbridges
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009 10:51:34 PM »

Your dress looks great! I have a store-bought one that is exactly like this but is navy with thin white stripes. Mine has removable straps so it can be worn as either a dress or a skirt (and I do wear it both ways). It has little hooks similar to what you find on a convertible bra, but the idea of using buttons on the inside that was mentioned earlier would work great as well. If you use buttons and make the straps longer than they need to be, that will give you the option to tie them as a halter, criss cross or use them as normal straight straps. Best of luck in whatever you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molly.Connelly
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009 10:42:42 AM »

I think you should add halter type straps that tie behind your head that way you can wear it as a dress or you could wear it as a high waisted skirt and tie the straps around your waist in a pretty little bow  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kena_r
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 05:05:54 AM »

Thanks so much for all of your advice!! It really helps a lot!
I'm not sure yet as to what to do exactly (I'm worried that I'll ruin it  Shocked) but I think I'm going to try something with buttons and removable straps. I also very much like the idea of the bow, I hadn't thought of that! I will definitely wear it with a bow some time!
Thanks again for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irokoneko
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009 09:19:00 AM »

Both!!
i like the "classic" look of the first one, like a skirt
and the more "outgoing" look of the dress like.

just wear it like these two
do nothing about it (:

But thats just my opinion (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizlo
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009 11:45:16 AM »

I like it more as a skirt!! 

You can wear it with a white tube top or "wife-beater" or with a frilly dressy top to make it more dressy. 

My vote is SKIRT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kirigami Piano Card
How to Make a Kirigami Sign for Spring
How to Make a Kirigami Chinese Lantern
How to Make a Kirigami Sheep
How to Make a Kirigami Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...