A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ENORMOUS DOLL HEADS that you can WEAR! With fluttery eyelids!! Cool!  (Read 57668 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , costume , blythe , sculpture , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gorgaus
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009 07:46:33 PM »

There, title revised, maybe that'll help.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veritate
Drowning in UFOs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009 08:12:31 PM »

Officially?

THIS ROCKS!

ZOMG. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009 08:16:53 PM »

Shocked Wow! You are both so talented! That must have been a show to remember, that's so cool! What details and those eyes, how did you do that? Are they carved or sculpted? I love the way all the elements (heads, wigs and clothing) came together. Wish I had been there to see it all. Just fantastic! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
gorgaus
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009 08:36:13 PM »

After a bit of searching I found a youtube video of the hair show (which I found a bit boring but i think i'm sick of looking at the heads!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9m0S_5n40

As for the eyes, they are made from vac form plastic, which is a heatable plastic you can suck around a form to make a shape. We made a solid semi sphere buck by pouring plaster into half a big plastic bubble. I think the bubbles are normally used for xmas decorations, to fill with lollies and stuff. I used the vac form machine at school, thank goodness we had that available, otherwise we would have had to pay a company to do it for us at who knows what cost. The coloured part of the eye is this stuff called mylar, which was scraps left over from a show at school. It's like this mirror paper that you can stretch and staple to things to make your own mirrors. We coloured it with glass paints you can get from an art store. The eyelashes are just fake nylon hair, we used a curling rod to shape them.

There is a mechanism (crude as it may be) inside the eye which we developed so the eyelashes can flutter as the models walk. It was a difficult thing to get right, but we got there in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009 09:44:29 PM »

And I thought you were just showing off your Blythe, or something like that! WOW! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009 10:21:09 PM »

Holy crap with a side of fries!  I love fashion, I love Blythe, I love cute things.  OBVIOUSLY I love this to project!  Who gets to keep these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluxxii
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009 10:31:50 PM »

This is so cool! At first I thought they would look really strange on human heads, but when I scrolled down to the bottom of the post it just looked even cooler! Was it your idea, or were you commissioned to do it? I hope you do post photos or a description of the process, because I am definitely curious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009 11:06:08 PM »

I'm sorry to everyone who has ever made anything before you. ever. because that has got to be the freaking COOLEST thing i ever saw! how totally original and wow, just perfectly constructed. they all look A-mazing. excellent, excellent work. totally rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
sallyb
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009 11:50:05 PM »

These are so amazing!  I'd love one of those to have just sitting around my house...  to scare young children... and unwanted salesmen...  but really, just cos it's cool!  So much kudos to you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009 03:52:25 AM »

I'm without adequate words. These are, certainly, some of the most INCREDIBLE things I've seen. They're remarkable, and I want one.
My hat(big huge doll head?)'s off to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Tricks To Applying Red and Nude Lipstick
Cleanse Skin and Remove Makeup in One Step
Jennifer Aniston Reveals Her Tips for Perfect Skin
How to Organize Your Makeup
My Top 3 Websites for Chic, Cheap Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...