A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shifting Shells Shopping Bag (with pattern)  (Read 25256 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

randomname
« on: July 25, 2009 06:37:40 AM »

Shifting Shells Shopping Bag

I wanted a shopping bag, that would expand to hold anything I need to carry, but not have a typical net structure like so many patterns out there.
This pattern has a solid base and a body of shells that shift in every other row, hence the name.
The original shell stitch pattern by Jessica Tromp is available at her website (http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/crochet_stitches/crochet_stitches_haaksteken_19.htm). I adapted it to work in the round.
The size of the finished bag is completely up to you. I will give the  numbers of the sample bag as a guideline, but you can make it any size you want. Because of this you can also use any yarn you happen to have around. Although I do suggest cotton or something of similiar strength.

Materials:
  • 155g cotton yarn (50g / 125m)
  • 3,5mm / E crochet hook
  • tapestry needle to weave in ends

Finished Size:
Sample bag:
Base: 8 cm / 3" x 29 cm / 11.5"
Height: 33 cm / 13" (excluding handles)
You can adjust the bag to any size you want. See pattern notes.
Next time I will make the base a bit wider, maybe 10cm and not as long, also for my purposes the bag came out too high, since it stretches so much.

Pattern notes:
US notations used.
The bag is worked completely in the round. The base of the bag is worked around a starting chain.

Sizing:
The length of the starting chain determines the size of the bag.
The chart shows the base of the bag with A and B being width and height.

C = A - B is the length of the starting chain. For example my bag is 8 cm x 29 cm, so my starting chain was C =  29 cm - 8 cm = 21 cm / 8.25" long.

Stitches needed:
ch, sc, dc, sl st
sc blo: sc into the back loop only
sc2tog (sc 2 together): pull up a loop from the next st, pull up a loop from the next st, 3 loops on hook, yo and pull through all 3 loops
shell: 2dc, ch2, 2dc all in the same ch-sp

Shifting Shells Pattern:
Worked in the round over a multiple of 5 sts.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, *sc in next 2 sts, ch 4, sk 3 sts* repeat around, end with ch 4, sl st into first sc of round.
Rnd 2: Sl st into next sc and into the ch-sp, (ch3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) into ch-sp, *shell into ch-sp* around, end with sl st into beg ch.
Rnd 3: Sl st into next dc and ch-sp, 2 sc into same ch-sp, *ch 4, 2 sc into next ch-sp* around, end with ch 4, sl st into first sc of round.
Repeat rounds 2 and 3.

Instructions:
Base:
Make a starting chain of length C (see pattern notes on sizing).
Rnd 1: Turn, work 3 sc into the back loop only of the 2nd ch from hook, work 1 sc into the back loop of every ch except the last, in the back loop of last ch work 3 sc, now turn the work and work into previously unworked front loops of the starting ch, 3 sc into first ch, 1 sc into all the other ch except last, work 3 sc into last ch, sl st into blo of first sc
Rnd 2: Sc into same st, 3 sc into blo of next sc, 1 sc into blo of the next sc until you come to the center st of the 3 sc of last rnd, make 3 sc into that sc, sc into blo of next 2 sc, 3 sc into blo of next sc,  1 sc into blo of the next sc until you come to the center st of the 3 sc of last rnd,  make 3 sc into that sc, sc into blo of next sc, you should now be at the end of the round. End with sl st into first sc. (short sides B = 2 sts)
Rnd 3: Sc into same st, sc into next st, 3 sc into blo of next sc, 1 sc into blo of the next sc until you come to the center st of the 3 sc of last rnd, make 3 sc into that sc, sc into blo of next 4 sc, 3 sc into blo of next sc,  1 sc into blo of the next sc until you come to the center st of the 3 sc of last rnd,  make 3 sc into that sc, sc into blo of next 2 sc, you should now be at the end of the round. End with sl st into first sc. (short sides B = 4 sts)
Rnd 4: Sc into same st, 1 sc in blo around, working 3 sc into every corner as established, end with sl st to blo of first sc. (rnd 4: B = 6 sts; rnd 5: B = 8sts, etc.)
Repeat round 4 until base reaches the desired dimensions.
Work one round of sc evenly around without increasing at the corners.

Body:
If you want the same color pattern as the sample bag change colors here. Attach the new yarn at a short side of the base.
Start working rnd 1 of the Shifting Shells Stitch Pattern around the base.
(I did not count my sts on the last row of the base, so I did not have a multiple of 5 sts. But with a bit of cheating it worked out ok. At the end of rnd 1, if you see that you have the wrong number too, just skip 2 sts instead of 3 sts or work 3 sc instead of 2 sc, for example.)
Countinue working rnds 2 and 3 of Shifting Shells Pattern until you almost reach the height you want for your bag, ending with a rnd 2.
Work rnd 3 one more time, but only ch 3 instead of ch 4.

Handles:
Change color again, if you want the same color pattern as the sample bag.
Lay the bag out flat and mark the right and left edge. Attach yarn at one edge with the right side of the bag facing you.
Rnd 1: Work *sc into 2 sc, 3 sc into ch-3-sp* around, end with sl st into first sc.
Rnd 2: *Sc until you get to 1/3 of the side you are on. Make a chain as long as you want the handle to be, skip 1/3 of the sts on that side, sc into the rest of the sts of that side of the bag.* Repeat from * to * once. End with sl st into first sc.
Rnd 3: *Sc into all sc, sc into all ch, sc into all sc*, repeat from * to * once. End with sl st into first sc.
Rnd 4: *Sc until just before handle, sc2tog, sc until just before end of handle, sc2tog, sc to end of side*, repeat once for the other side of the bag. End with sl st to first sc.
Repeat rnd 4 until the handles are almost as wide as you want them.
Fasten off.

Edging:
Attach yarn to the inside edge of one handle with the right side facing you. Work one rnd of sc into every st around the complete inside edge, working sc2tog at the corners.
Repeat for the other handle.

Weave in ends.
Done!

Note: The pattern has not been tested. So if you find any errors or unclear instructions, please let me know, so I can correct/clarify the pattern. Thanks.
Also, if you make this, please post your results. I would like to know, what this looks like in other colors/yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irenegwen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 07:46:29 AM »

I really like this variation on the shell pattern.  And I *love* the yarn you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Irene

Graduate Student by day.
Craftster by night.
amdm
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009 10:38:44 AM »

Thank you sharing this lovely pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoxRock
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009 11:24:56 AM »

This bag is awesome!  it's a really nicely refreshed version of the white sacs people carry around.  once my crocheting skills improve a bit I'd like to try this out!  Thanks for the tute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday we'll find it,
The rainbow connection,
The lover, the dreamer, and me...
largefarva
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013 06:58:42 PM »

This is beautiful, I love it- but I was wondering if someone might be willing to explain the pattern to me in non-crochet english? I get a headache just Trying to read crochet patterns Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Win a Staring Contest
How to Win a Pie Eating Contest
How to Choose the Right Vase for Your Flower Arrangement
How to Host a Craft Night
How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...