A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kanzashi in Bloom - Handbag Candy  (Read 12417 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_book_excerpt , tutorial , kanzashi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WatsonGuptill
« on: July 24, 2009 06:50:12 PM »

Sponsored Content - Craft Book Excerpt

The following is an excerpt from the new craft book...

Kanzashi in Bloom: 20 Simple Fold-and-Sew Projects to Wear and Give
by Diane Gilleland

ABOUT THIS BOOK

Kanzashi tsumami is the Japanese art of folding delicate squares of silk into three-dimensional flower petals. In the United States, the online craft culture has sprouted a renewed interest in making Kanzashi with American crafters devising simplified ways to create these gorgeous fabric flowers and incorporating more user-friendly materials like cotton and synthetic fabrics along with the traditional silks.

Kanzashi in Bloom takes the American interpretation of Kanzashi a step further, presenting modern, more easily executed flower designs as elements in a variety of fun, fashionable, hip craft projects. Kanzashi in Bloom offers advice on materials, three petal-folding styles, and techniques for assembling a Kanzashi flower. Youll also find instructions for 20 projects to wear and give as gifts, including:

- Tiny blossom earrings
- Flowers-in-your-hair clips
- The happiest belt buckle ever
- Elegant floral gift topper

Handbag Candy

Kanzashi look so cute dangling from your handbag or tote!
This flower-charm is designed to be easy to move from bag to bag as the mood strikes you. It also makes use of a fantastic design technique you'll be learning here: layering two Kanzashi together to make one elaborate flower.

click to zoom in
Before You Begin
- Depending on the size and shape of your handbag, you may opt to shorten or lengthen the chain a little.

Skill Level
Intermediate

Best Petal Styles
Round, Pleated, Pointed

Best Number of Petals

Best Square Size
You can use any size you like, depending on the design of your flower. I've used 31/4" and 11/2" squares here.

Glues Needed
Hot glue, embellishment glue, fabric glue

Additional Supplies Needed
- Scrap of wool felt
- Two 24-gauge eye pins, at least 1" long
- Three 8-mm jump rings
- Small lobster clasp
- 3" medium-width link chain
- Sharp scissors
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nose pliers

Making a Layered Flower

1. Fold and assemble two flowers, using the Basic Instructions in Chapter 2. One should be at least 1" smaller in diameter than the other. Don't put any centers on them just yet.

2. Take the larger flower and gently adjust its shape so that its top surface is fl at. If your larger flower is made with Round petals, then you won't need to do this step; but Pointed or Pleated petals are taller at the center than at the ends, so they tend to be domed in the middle and require a little adjustment. Once you've completed this step, the back of your larger flower will be slightly dome-shaped.

3. Now that you have a fl at front surface on the larger flower, you can glue the smaller flower on top of it. Apply fabric glue to the center of the larger flower and gently press the smaller flower on top. Allow the glue to dry. Then use embellishment glue to add a center to your flower.

Making a Bauble

1. Using needle-nose pliers, carefully open a jump ring. String one of the eye pins onto it and close the jump ring. Do the same with the other eye pin and jump ring.

2. Cut a 2"-diameter circle from wool felt. Apply a thick ring of embellishment glue to the felt, keeping the glue about 1/4" from the edges. Position the two eye pins on the felt, as shown. The eyes should stick out just beyond the edge of the felt, and the bottoms of the pins should meet but not cross. You may need to trim your eye pins a little before you glue them to get them into this confi guration.

3. Press the felt to the back of the flower. Make sure that the eye pins and jump rings are positioned so that they are on either side of the topmost petal of your flower. Allow the glue to dry completely before proceeding.

4. Cut a 3" length of chain. Using needle-nose pliers, open a new jump ring. Thread the ring through the end link of the chain and then through the lobster clasp. Close the jump ring.

5. Reopen the left-hand jump ring that's attached to the back of the flower, thread it through the other end link of the chain, and reclose it.

6. To attach this bauble to a handbag, simply wrap the chain around one handle or strap and fasten the lobster clasp to the jump ring.

click to zoom in

click to zoom in

click to zoom in
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 06:50:45 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out all of Watson-Guptill's book excerpts on Craftster! Click here!
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 01:05:44 AM »

Sweet! I am totally going to get this book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
ipandaa
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009 08:07:41 AM »

Thanks for review .... This is so cute.
I'll check it out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nour.abbad
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 12:29:33 PM »

waw very nice
thank you for this pictures
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for penpals for exchanging snailmail and small personal swaps, please write a PM if you're interested

I do personnal swap
alorralora
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009 10:17:00 AM »

Yeah!  This book is on my list to get.  I have done this before, using silky material and it's SOOOO hard to do.  Everything slips around.  I didn't even think to use other material, so now I'll have to try this.  btw, I totally mess up pronunciations, so I run around calling this ka-na-shi (phonetic).  Kind of sounds like a kosher dumpling, eh?  anyway, thanks for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Rico121
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009 08:22:20 AM »

Defo going to get this book for my girlfriend she loves doing these sort of things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreverblueskies
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 04:45:38 PM »

Thank you for featuring the book on here.  I finally made my first Kanzashi after buying this book.

The petals aren't as uniform as I like hopefully I get better with more practice.

Serenity modeling the Kanzashi...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkChick
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010 06:17:39 AM »

This book is on my wishlist at Amazon. So glad to finally see a review for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Every Moment, Laugh Every Day, Love Beyond Words!
fashionjewelryforeveryone
Fashion Jewelry For Everyone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010 09:59:43 AM »

Pretty cool collection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Gabby_Giffords_Sizzle_Lock_MM
DIY Noodle Jewelry
How to Use a Kindness Jar
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...