A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pencil skirt, from stretchy pants - now with tutorial!  (Read 8119 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

duckjustaduck
« on: July 24, 2009 11:39:47 AM »

soooo, i've seen some posts with questions about pencil skirts, and it so happens i just made one!
i wanted something sort of like this: http://www.chinatowner.com/storefront/viewDetailProduct.aspx?flagSide=0&sku=33484&color=Red

i don't have a before photo, but basically i had long stretchy red pants with a tie-waist, and the crotch kept ripping, so i decided to make them into something without a crotch. i just took apart the seams, cut the panels to the length i wanted, and sewed down the sides in the shape i wanted- so there are 4 seams to give it shape, plus the stretchiness makes it fit well. the top-waist part i did separately, then lined the seams up and attached it, added some darts and a zipper. and big plastic buttons, of course.

here it is:

and the back:
not quite a smooth seam, as you can see. i'll have to iron it and re-sew.

alright, i've never made a tutorial before, so bear with me. here's how it goes:

turn yr pants inside out, and they're probly made of 4 pieces like this:

with a seam-ripper, rip apart the inside seam (the one with the check) but not the outside seam (the one with the X). Now you have two pieces. Fold each piece in half along the seam and cut on the red line (adjust the length according to how long you want the skirt to be):

Now flip your two pieces upside down, and rip down one of the old seams (where the arrow points) just enough so you can put the zipper in (but don't put it in yet)

Now put your two halves together, outsides in, and sew down the seams. Try it on- if you can't get into it, rip down your zipper seam a little farther.
From your leftover fabric cut 4 pieces in this shape:

The measurement of the longer edge should equal the measurement of the top of your skirt divided by four. The measurement of the shorter edge should be your waist measurement divided by 4.
Sew these pieces together into one long strip.

Now pin this strip to the top of your skirt so that the edges line up with the space you left for the zipper. Sew it down.
Now just put in the zipper and hem the top and the bottom, and you're done! If you need to add darts to make it fit properly, I'd do that by taking in one of the four seams that are already there.

OH, if you follow this the seams won't line up the way they do on mine though- you'll have seams in the front and back and down the sides. If your fabric is stretchy you could probly just turn it, which is what i did, but if your fabric doesn't give much it might hang funny if you do that.

I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 12:10:33 PM by duckjustaduck » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quaint

i want to go to there.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 12:59:50 PM »

Oh, I really like it! As for the suspenders, you could make detachable ones (I love my suspendered pencil skirt, but the suspenders don't always work with the top I want to wear!) by sewing buttons on the inside of the skirt (where you'd want the suspenders to start & end in the front and back waistband) and matching those up with button holes in the bottom of the suspenders...if that makes any sense  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 01:03:55 PM »

This is so cute!
I love it.
I agree with quaint's idea.
Cheesy!
<3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
mrsatama
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 01:17:02 PM »

I think yours came out better looking then the one from that link. Cheesy As for the suspenders I agree with Boo_its_Brittany in making them detachable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009 01:26:40 PM »

ADORABLE! And i'm with the rest detachable Smiley GREAT JOB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009 01:40:20 PM »

Cute skirt!!  I also agree that you should make the suspenders detachable... You said the fabric is stretchy, but it reminds me of corduroy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
duckjustaduck
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009 01:40:57 PM »

thanks everyone! i'll get started on some detachable suspenders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizlo
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009 03:39:10 PM »

Very cute as is- fuck the suspenders!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Siouxzanne
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009 01:13:54 AM »

I love, love, LOVE it!!!!!  And I agree that it looks better than the inspiration.

I have a pair of red pants that now need to be pencil skirtified, but I'm mildly retarded.  Do you think that you could add a tute of the shapes that you cut the pieces into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
duckjustaduck
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 12:06:38 PM »

Added a tutorial. If the pants you're using are stretchy and/or fit you well-loosely, then just cut as close to the edges as you can and the skirt should fit too. I'd love to see pictures if anyone makes one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour Your Legs
How to Get the Perfect Cat Eye
How to Get Bright Eyes
Make a Customized Lipstick Palette with Pill Cases
How To Get a Natural Flush
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...