A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arrr! Need ideas to make my annual pirate party epically awesome!  (Read 1045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 24, 2009 09:56:45 AM »

I threw a pirate party last year in honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19th, although the party date's being changed for various reasons). I enjoyed it so much I've decided it's going to be an annual thing now. I just need to figure out how to throw a theme party for grownups - I'd be content to play children's party games, but I need to come up with something more...well, epically awesome. I want the party to be fun and memorable - basically I want to throw the best party ever so that people hope and pray they get an invitation for the next one!

Need ideas for:
Decoration
Activities/party games for grownups
Prize for best dressed pirate (I could even do something that could be passed on from year to year, like a golden skull or something)
Anything else that would make the party to die for

I have a wide variety of guests - their ages will range from 20s to 50s, maybe even a little outside of that. I don't mind spending time preparing for the party, but this year I'm not going to have a large sum of money to work with due to being involved in a friend's wedding. But I hope to have a little more money for future parties, so don't hold back on ideas! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
tedives
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 12:39:38 PM »

Ahoy there!

How about some pirate cupcakes, me matey:
http://www.findhow.com/holidays/how-to-make-pirate-birthday-cupcakes.php

Also - you could have a drawing where someone get the black mark and then has to walk the plank, fully dressed, into a pool (if you have a pool)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009 12:53:23 PM »

I always answer with similar replies for practically every party, but that's because I'm a huge fan of traditional party games.  If it's outside, I'd definitely recommend a 3-legged race (and call it a peg-legged race) using bandanas.  Also you really can't go wrong with a pinata - just fill it with chocolate coins or something that adults would enjoy (no trinkets or anything kidsy).  A big hit at all my parties is to have a mugboard (the photo ops with holes cut out for people's faces).  Everyone loves that and you can give them photos as favors later.  The pirate one I have is a sexy wench making a pirate walk the plank.  I love the idea of a costume contest, too.  Costumes really encourage guests to be festive and have more fun.  I know those sound juvenile, but adults really like party games too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
varifiresis
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009 01:49:06 AM »

A few years ago for a pirate birthday party I made a pretty awesome tabletop treasure chest. I took a chest shaped basket with a hinged lid (I had it already) and put some books in the bottom to raise the bottom about 4 inches from the rim. I put  several dollar store tap lights in then used one of those plastic shoe boxes (Walmart has them for less than $2) upside down to make a clear  shelf over them. Then I filled it with Mardi Gras beads and some plastic gems that were different colors but translucent. The lights underneath really made the beads and gems sparkle and I added a few kids dress up jewelry necklaces and rings (also from the dollar store). I also used skeleton from our Halloween decorations put a scarf on his head, an eyepatch, some tattered rags (also Halloween stuff), and put a sign around his neck that said "Dead Men Tell No Tales". Also hung fish netting on walls with some shells and plastic sea creatures that I found at a craft store and (surprise) the dollar store. It looked great but it was for a friend's son and I don't think I even managed to take any pictures. I did it all on a $25 budget but I did use quite a few thing I already had, especially from my massive collection of Halloween decorations.Oh well, hope these ideas might help.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009 09:38:57 AM »

Ooh, sounds like fun.

For invitations, you could make a 'treasure map' to your party location. You could hand draw it and then just run off copies, shouldn't be too expensive. You could also dip the paper in strong brewed tea to give them an extra old look (make sure the ink is waterproof before you try, though).

For the best dressed pirate, what about a custom eye patch with the date of the party on it? Then all the past winners can wear them to the future parties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Transform Your Face Shape with the Right Blowout
How to Keep Your Hair Color from Fading
Prive Salon Shows You How to Take a Pretty Braid from Day to Night
How to Get a Fishtail Braid
Addicted To Hair Weaves
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...