A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turkey Bone Necklace  (Read 1883 times)
Tags for this thread: thanksgiving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: July 24, 2009 07:06:21 AM »

Hey, fellow craftsters!  I was playing around with some turkey bones I saved from last Thanksgiving and came up with this:

Closeups of the skull pendant:

I'm lovin' the spine bones.  But, I'm wondering what would be a good stain to make the bone look older and less white.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for looking.  I'll be posting some more experiments with these bones on my blog in the future.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 09:27:53 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 07:19:23 AM »

hahaha that is cool! I must do this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
Tularosa
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 10:29:51 AM »

Love it! I use to make dolls (kinda scary ones) using turkey vertebrae for the faces. They're so oddly perfect, no?

If you're patient, the bones will actually age all on their own (if they're not sealed). But that's on a couple of years timescale!  Otherwise you could try a beige-ish acrylic paint (thin it with water because the bone is so porous, paint it on and wipe it off).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." - Pablo Picasso
mieljolie
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 10:40:26 AM »

hahaha that is cool! I must do this

You should.  It's a fun project.

Love it! I use to make dolls (kinda scary ones) using turkey vertebrae for the faces. They're so oddly perfect, no?

If you're patient, the bones will actually age all on their own (if they're not sealed). But that's on a couple of years timescale!  Otherwise you could try a beige-ish acrylic paint (thin it with water because the bone is so porous, paint it on and wipe it off).

I'd love to see pics of your dolls if you have them.  Sounds really clever.  They would be perfect!

Thanks!  I'll give the paint a try.  I've got plenty of pieces to play with.  We had two turkeys last year.  But, I don't think I cleaned one as well as the other, and it is much yellower and transparent due to the grease or cooking process.  One was smoked and the other roasted.  Smiley

I'm looking in to other ways to string the long thin bones.  I wrapped them with wire.  I'm working on hair falls, next.  I'll be cutting some of the longer hollow bones to make beads.

BTW, we're having chicken tonight!  Muhahaha!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 10:43:33 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 11:57:32 AM »

Frikking AWEsome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
diy-me-amy
Craftster God/Goddess

Until the end of time she goes her way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009 10:40:51 PM »

beautiful!!! cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A style from your mind is a fashion statement from you!

Blog:
http://www.vamp-in-da-house.blogspot.com

Polyvore:
http://diymeamy.polyvore.com/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SpAgDavid
mieljolie
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 02:55:11 PM »

Thanks, mynta and diy-me-amy!

We had our chicken the other night.  The bones are almost identical to the turkeys, but so much smaller and more brittle.  I got a 4lb. chicken with the neck removed, so I think that is why there weren't many of the vertebrae shaped like the one on my necklace from the turkey.

The turkey bones are really fun and fascinating.  I was curious after looking through the vertebrae as to where the piece I chose was from.  I was fairly certain the one I chose was from somewhere closer to the head.  So, my thoughtful family has decided to roast another turkey to see what the order of the bones actually is.  Though we usually don't, this time we're keeping the neck in to see what those bones look like.  Mmmmmm... turkey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joesuplicki
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 03:21:33 PM »

I love using the turkey neck bone, when I was a kid almost every year me and my dad would take the neck bones and make them into neckerchief slides all through cub scouts and boy scouts, it was always fun to do, great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009 06:17:27 AM »

I love using the turkey neck bone, when I was a kid almost every year me and my dad would take the neck bones and make them into neckerchief slides all through cub scouts and boy scouts, it was always fun to do, great job Cheesy

What a bizarrely fun thing to do with the bones.  Smiley  Never did anything cool like that when I was in brownies or girl scouts.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefett
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009 06:41:53 PM »

Very cool. Good eye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...