A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - 24 July 2009  (Read 5428 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zucchero_Filato
« on: July 24, 2009 12:51:43 AM »

Hi everybody!
It's Fiber Friday and I can't believe I'm the first here. How exciting!

Last Friday I couldn't be here with you because I had no internet connection.
However, I went on hanspinning my yarns for the Tour de Fleece and today I'm posting here some of them.

The first yarn was inspired by cartoon character Hello Kitty.
Red and pink merino rovings, a lot of sparkling red bows and some yellow kid mohair locks literally jumped through my Traveller's orifice to wind on the bobbin and recreate the colors of the tiny kitten my daughter loves so much.

The second yarn is a tribute to Noro Kureyon.
Handspinning this yarn has been very amusing and I like the pic I took of it "en plein soleil" Wink

This is Crazy Rainbow, a tribute to my virtual teacher Lexi Boeger, whose books have been so precious for my handspinning experience. I prepared a lot of hand dyed domestic wool rovings and handspun them randomly.

Colors of grape harvest inspired me for this yarn I named Vendemmia.
I handspun domestic wool with many odds and ends, including Colinette ribbons and chenille:

The last two yarns are Amethyst and Sodalite. They are made of superfine merino, kid mohair locks and mulberry silk and their colors match with the homonimous semi-precious stones.
They are  decorated with many stone chips as well.

I think that it's enough for today.
I hope that my internet connection will go on working, so that I may navigate through all the posts and yarns you'll be uploading.

Many kisses from Italy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 04:41:23 AM »

Oh, wow! I'm in love with those last three yarns especially. I'm waiting for my yarn to dry, and then I'll post pictures. It's not nearly as impressive. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 05:19:58 AM »

OK, Zucchero? You are officially a genius. Damn you and your talented ways :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 06:13:36 AM »

My picture's as bad as my yarn. Sad Sorry. I can't find the good camera, so I had to settle for my webcam. Ignore the crazy person in the background. I haven't been awake very long. >.<

Teeeny tiny ball of nondescript pill bottle cotton yarn that is way too thin and nubby to do anything with:

On the plus side, my cat doesn't mind how bad my spinning is. She'll steal it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010 09:29:21 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009 06:45:36 AM »

What a wonderful start to the day!!  I can't really picka fav.  those are all wonderful and I one day hope to beable to 'free my mind' and spin like that, Zucchero_Filato.  What wonderful yarns!

SpecialKRJ, we all have to spin something, and I admire your braveness for spinning pill bottle cotton.  it's a cute little ball of yarn!

now onto me Wink I finally have had the energy to do anything fiber wise Smiley!!  yay second trimester!
No yarns just loads of dyed and one blended roving Smiley Shall be spinning this week!  or maybe more dyeing.. since I have pounds of white wool floating about...

Le piece de resistance!  My first in a series of World of Warcraft inspired yarns.  Of course I have to blend and or dye in order to get what I want, so here it is.  Shadow priest. haven't weighed it yet, but my guess is about 2 oz?

One huge stack of dyed roving, so much for solid colors lol.  I like em anyway Smiley  all but the blue are 1oz.  I have 5 oz of the blue, but only pictured 2.5oz

thumbnails of the individuals as not to bog down your computer:)

happy fiber friday, and happy spinning to you all!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 06:48:23 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jiniphur
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009 07:20:27 AM »

such pretty yarn and roving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009 09:55:42 AM »

Here's my yarn for the week:

"Golden Fleece" 60 yards thick and thin, BFL dyed with Wilton cake dyes, plied with 2 metallic gold threads held together and almost 2000 sequins! Boy stringing those was a pain...haha I think I'm going to stick with lower amounts of goodies for a while. Tongue

Lovely yarns everyone! Bella I love Shadow Priest, and Zucchero the Kureyon-inspired is definitely my favorite of yours this week but everything is awesome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
veludo
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009 10:23:23 AM »

here are my latest handspun yarns. i am still learning how to spin and i am loving it Smiley

Storm

Shetland roving I got from wheeldalewoolcrafts.

Citrus Sorbet

Merino (?) roving I got from Nesse in Shop the Swap 25.

Carnival

For this one I used two art batts I got from Lapoli in Shop the Swap 25.

Oddacity, that "Golden Fleece" is beautiful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009 10:57:42 AM »

I drool over fibre friday every week, someday I'll start trying to spin the fibre I've already collected!

I love crazy rainbow!

Oh and Oddacity, I'd say I loved yours but since your a Gryffindor and I think beating us poor Hufflepuffs currently, I'll be bitter and stay silent! Wink

Seriously, nice work and it's nice to run into another housecupper over here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009 11:31:06 AM »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, Oddacity, I am in LOVE with that yarn.  Stringing all those sequins was worth it (I get bored/tired of it, too Tongue)!

I have one yarn and one FO from yarn I spun.  If you'd like more information about my FO, you can visit my blog.

First, the unnamed Mohair Boucle (I still have to dye it before I name it, but the dyes are all packed for our move on Monday):

And the FO!  A qiviut (musk ox, for those of you who don't know) lace scarf, all handspun.  Approx. 7" X 70", 1 oz in weight:

The finished scarf!  Pattern from Arctic Lace (A very fantastic book!)

In the process of blocking.

The yarn, just for a reference picture.  It was approx. 28 wpi and 1 oz of qiviut (including some guard hairs that you wouldn't have in store-bought and prepared qiviut) made almost 300 yards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Special Effects from Intruding on Story
How to cheat a look on Camera
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial
What Is White Balance?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...