A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tetris "You Complete Me" Cross Stitch  (Read 5119 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , cross_stitch , tetris , nintendo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 23, 2009 11:23:16 PM »

Have you ever had one of those projects that seem as if they will be delightfully easy during the planning process, and only by the time you are past the point of no return do you realize how mind numbingly insane the whole thing is? 
Well, this was one of those projects. 

I had the most awesome brainstorm around Thanksgiving when I was trying to figure out something to stitch for my fiance.  We are both wicked dorks, and both love playing Tetris (but are not big on much else regarding video games).  So, when I ran across the Gotta Love Geeks Tetris Style You Complete Me, I knew exactly what I had to make.  Check it out if you haven't seen it before:  http://gottalovegeeks.com/pictures/you-complete-me-tetris-style/

I figured, how difficult could it possibly be to stitch Tetris?  They are a bunch of little squares hooked together in very few different colors!  Great idea!  I'll totally finish it by Christmas. 
Then, I had another brainstorm while playing with magnets at work.  It would be even cooler if I stitched something I could cut out and make interactive!  Tetris without any electronics needed!  Wicked!  And if I cut the pieces out and added magnets it would be even better, since it could go on the 'fridge or his gun safe!
Can you all guess where this is going?

Well, the OCD kicked in, and somehow I decided I just had to make the whole damn thing small enough that it would fit on a metal clipboard so he could play with it at break during work.  (This is where I get myself in trouble.)  However, as I play with the pattern, I realize I don't want to sacrifice detail for size.  (Shoot me now.) 

Finally, I test this now hairbrained scheme on a bunch of different stitching mediums.  The punched paper made the pieces far larger than I wanted when I kept the 1 pixel to 1 stitch ratio.  Same goes for the Adia.  I dug further into my stash and whipped out the linen and evenweave.  The linen I had handy has those very slight bumps and imperfections in the threads that I didn't want for this particular project.  Now comes the 28 count Evenweave.  The usual means of stitching with two strands of floss over the usual two evenweave holes was obviously too large again.  Here's where things got crazy-

I ended up doing the entire flippin' thing in petite point.  Yes, that's right, one strand of floss over one hole in 28 count Evenweave.  I didn't think this through all that well.  Each Tetris square consists of 9x9 stitches.  Each little "Tetrid" (the shapes) consists of 4 squares.  The entire project has 49 of these Tetrids, plus 6 single blocks (a'la game B with the floating blocking squares you start with).  All together that makes 202 squares composed of 16,362 individual stitches...  And I thought it would be a quick and easy project.   Roll Eyes

So needless to say, I did not finish by Christmas.  At least I ended up finishing before his birthday at the end of May!  It was a lot of stitching, and I don't think I'll be all that excited to create something else in that particular size again.  I spent a few too many hours under two Ott Lights feeling like my eyes were going to pop out of my skull. 

That is the finished product.  I have no idea how many hours I spent on this thing, at least my guy loves it! 

Here's a couple pics from the mounting process.  I had some of it when it was half finished, but they might have been lost when my old computer's hard drive crapped out. 

Stitching completed- that's a whole lot of Tetris!

Dear Gods!  She's cutting it up!  Yup- I mounted it on some of that sticky mount poster board type stitching backer.  Next I cut it apart using some of those gigantic tailor sheers and the larger X-Acto blade for fine tuning.  After cutting out the pieces, they all received a bit of magnetic tape on the reverse side. 

I was surprised how strong the magnetic tape actually is.  I bet I will find more uses for it in future craft projects.  All of the pieces stuck to the refrigerator as I organized them to create the heart. 

Finally, here's the comparison- the print out of the original bit of inspiration, http://gottalovegeeks.com/pictures/you-complete-me-tetris-style/ and my interpretation. 

Whew.  That was a lot of work. 
I probably should have ironed the pieces before mounting them to the backer- some are slightly curved, but at that point I just wanted to get the thing done so I didn't have to look at it anymore.   Grin Er, I mean, so my wonderful loving guy could have his much delayed present.  Really... 

Hope you all get a kick out of it.  It's a lot of fun to mess with on the refrigerator!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
TLW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 02:18:59 AM »

Wow, this is awesome.
I totally know that dooming feeling of 'uh oh, this will be a lot of work....'
But I think the end result is definitely worth it.

Your fiancee must have loved it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
fluxxii
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 02:27:37 AM »

This is greatness beyond words. I am so envious of your fianc. Definitely worth all of the work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
fiberartsy

That rug really tied the room together.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 06:18:41 AM »

Wow.  I can't imagine the work that took.  It looks great!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whateverjames
Dark Lord of the Stitch

Real Men Carry A Craft Bag!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009 07:16:17 AM »

I've wanted to do this for a while but have been afraid it would just be too much of an undertaking for me and my standard cross-stitching style. HA HA HA HA.

Now I feel like I just told Evil Knievel I'm afraid to take the training wheels off my bike!

You did SO MUCH WORK. At least it came out really nice and magnets? Little tetris embroidered magnets?

I'm so glad I am not your fiancee. You would have called of the engagement after catching me destructing your awesome gift and making dirty words with the pieces on the fridge  Wink

This is so cool, I could tell you for days. Instead I just hit This Rocks. And I lol'd when I read the term "Wicked Dorks". I think there is a project there too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two things you should never be mad at: Those you can change and those you can not - Plato.

http://hanstitchedfirst.wordpress.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/whateverjames
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009 07:17:08 AM »

Holy macaroni! That is a lot of work! Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarasvati

love for crafting!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009 10:08:19 AM »

This is awesome!!!  Smiley

Listessa - completely unrelated and this is going to sound like an odd question, but your user name on here isn't somehow related to an old Smashing Pumpkins fan group called "Listessa"?  This goes back to the early-mid '90s...  probably not, but I used to be a member of this group called Listessa when I was at the end of middle school / beginning of high school!  Made me think of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009 05:04:35 PM »

Oh my freaking lord. That's so much work, but so worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009 07:10:48 PM »

Thanks everyone! 
I've been dying to share this one here, but had computer issues for ages. 

Wow, this is awesome.
I totally know that dooming feeling of 'uh oh, this will be a lot of work....'
But I think the end result is definitely worth it.

Your fiancee must have loved it!
He really got a kick out of it!  I let him see the unfinished surprise project on Christmas with his gifts at his parents' house.  He couldn't believe I was making him Tetris, particularly when I explained that it was going to be magnetic so he could play with it.  His mom went nuts and thought it was the coolest thing ever too.   Grin 

I've wanted to do this for a while but have been afraid it would just be too much of an undertaking for me and my standard cross-stitching style. HA HA HA HA.

Now I feel like I just told Evil Knievel I'm afraid to take the training wheels off my bike!

You did SO MUCH WORK. At least it came out really nice and magnets? Little tetris embroidered magnets?

I'm so glad I am not your fiancee. You would have called of the engagement after catching me destructing your awesome gift and making dirty words with the pieces on the fridge  Wink

This is so cool, I could tell you for days. Instead I just hit This Rocks. And I lol'd when I read the term "Wicked Dorks". I think there is a project there too!!!
I think I would have enjoyed stitching it more if I hadn't been so rushed during the first half of it.  I had about 25 or 30 pieces finished by Christmas itself, and I only started in the beginning of December.  If I do another petite point type with a lot of stitches involved, I think I'll make sure I enjoy it and have something else I can pick up in the meantime when my frustration level starts getting up there. 
It's so crazy to do, but the end result is awesome!  Go for it just for fun sometime.  Eventually you can look back at your piece and love it.  Just avoid it for a week or so after it is completed.  I think I told my guy, "Just take it home with you!  I can't even look at it anymore!!"  after he finally saw the finished project.   Cheesy  Fortunately he laughed and took me out for ice cream to make it all better. Wink

Actually before he took it home, we both deconstructed the heart part to play with it and I was left with what I called the Horny Tetris Stick Man on my 'fridge for a week or two.  That was funny.  (I should have taken a picture!)

Ohhh, with the wicked dorks part you caught me showing my Maine-side.  I went school up at UMaine and usually spent a lot of time on the coast prior to that too.  That would make an awesome project though- I'll keep my eyes open to see what you come up with!

This is awesome!!!  Smiley

Listessa - completely unrelated and this is going to sound like an odd question, but your user name on here isn't somehow related to an old Smashing Pumpkins fan group called "Listessa"?  This goes back to the early-mid '90s...  probably not, but I used to be a member of this group called Listessa when I was at the end of middle school / beginning of high school!  Made me think of that!
Wow!  You are the first person to actually make the connection between SP and my usual online ID!  Awesome!
Long story short, when I was in Junior High a good friend of mine was obsessed with SP.  We started drifting during High School and she went through this bizarre stage where she would start telling people, "Call me Carmelda..." so one day I told her,
"Carmelda, well then that must make me Listessa." 

For some reason that stuck for a lot of online stuff for me.  Even if I never meant the SP connection.  It must have been a subconscious thing since I was talking to her.   Over all, I'm not even a gigantic SP fan.  They aren't bad, but they aren't my favorites either.  Smiley 

Anyway thanks again for all of the comments!  I really enjoy sharing this one with others who stitch since it was such a crazy thing to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
sarasvati

love for crafting!

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009 08:36:23 PM »

That's hilarious that it actually is an SP connection! Smiley  I used to be a crazy obsessed fan in high school, but I don't listen to the band or any new incarnations of the band anymore...I barely ever listen to them at all anymore actually since my tastes in music have changed, but I used to be a member of Listessa when I first got an internet connection!  I even used to have a Listessa t-shirt, believe it or not! 

Back to the crafts... I'm happy that your fiance loves the magnets!  They're totally awesome!  I'm constantly crafting video game related crafts for my fiance, too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 3
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 2
117 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Repair Sky
119 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Zoomify
How to Do Lip Syncing for Animation
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...