A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Found a Non-Toxic Waterproof Fabric! Opinions Please!  (Read 34678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plummy
« on: July 23, 2009 05:14:30 PM »

Hi everyone!  So I have recently been getting into making sandwich bags and wraps, and unknowingly used vinyl (gasp!  shock! horror!) as my waterproof layer on my first...20 or so.  >.<   Since I discovered the horrors of vinyl off-gassing, I have gone on a huge quest to find a food-safe waterproof fabric.  At first I looked into PULs and polyurethane nylons...but after a lot of individual research, talking to representatives in the polyurethane business, and talking to the FDA, I still felt rather iffy about the fabric that is currently in production (I actually even have talk going with a polyurethane rep about making my own fabric with food-grade polyurethane...scar y, lol).  BUT in more research I found this website:

http://www.mimithesardine.com/index.html

They sell already made items, but I called the woman in charge and talked to her and you can also buy any of the material on the website by the yard, for 26$/yard.  I know it's a bit pricey, but I would be totally willing to pay for something that will not be leeking toxins into my food.

If you don't want to hunt down the info on her site, here is the general gist (from the site and from when I called her):

The fabric meets the CPSIA requirements,  and the Oeko-Tex 100 Standard (european) which certifies that the cloth does not contain harmful chemicals and components.

The fabric is an organic cotton with a water-based acrylic coating (not PVC).  Apparently the fabric is water resistant and the coating does not wash off even after many washings in a washing machine.

The fabric has been tested and found safe with foods in europe (although not yet in the states).

I was hoping to get everyone's opinions on this, and if anyone knows of any other place to get a non-toxic food-safe waterproof fabric (even if it's a bit more pricey), please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009 05:37:40 AM »

That's pretty interesting. My only thought is that water "resistant" and waterproof are two different things, but if you're going for the greener/safer crowd I don't think they'll argue the point. You can always test the stuff out, at least, by storing something that sweats (ice in a bag or something) in a mock-up sack. If things are eventually soaking through it means they have to be washed more frequently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plummy
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009 09:54:01 PM »

that's a good point, and i'll definitely do a mock-up first.  thanks for the input!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

RyverChyld
♥Live ♥ Laugh ♥ Love♥

I Believe in Fairies!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 04:10:16 AM »

Hi
I just bought some of the PUL to line some sandwich bags.  I am a little confused on how to use it though.... there is a shiny plastic-y side and a soft fabric side......which side do you put up towards the food??  Which side is supposed to touch the food??? Huh

thanks for you help!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plummy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 08:56:39 AM »

RyverChyld, commercially sold PUL has not been approved by the FDA for use with food, so make sure that you realize that before you use it in sandwich bags.  Many people still do, but just so you know.  Other than that, it's really up to you what side you put against your food.  The shiny plastic side is the polyurethane (the plastic that may or may not be harmful) so if you want your bag to be more waterresistant, put that side against your food.  If you don't want your food touching plastic, put the fabric side inwards.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flyin.Needles
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009 07:36:34 AM »

I just came across this post, as I was looking for the same sort of fabric to make sandwich / snack bags for my family.  The closest I'd come before seeing this was old fashioned 'oilcloth', made by painting linseed oil on duck cloth.  But, when I was researching linseed oil, I found that (for woodworking / food surfaces) they recommend only non-boiled linseed oil *and* that they consider it to have low water resistance.

So, did you ever discover another supplier for food-safe water-resistant fabric?  I'd love to know what you ended up using.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plummy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009 08:57:29 AM »

ug.  So, basically I ended up giving up on the project (or at least shelving it until I find a magical supplier).  I have contacted a ton of people, done a ton of research, and pretty much ended up with zip.  I did try to make my own oilcloth using walnut oil (which my research indicated would work just as well, if not better, than linseed oil, and which is perfectly food safe) and it was an epic fail.  The fabric listed here is the only place I found that sells to private buyers (i.e. I don't have to buy a million bucks worth of fabric) and it was just too expensive for me to justify buying enough of it for my project.  I think there is a huge unexplored market for waterproof food-safe fabric that is pretty much completely unexplored, but I honestly just don't have the means to move in that direction.  If anyone has any other information, I would love to know more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nancy01602
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009 06:10:39 PM »

OMG - walnut oil - that would be deadly for those with nut allergies. 

$26 dollars a yard for the material you want?  Perhaps if they give volume discount you could find other people interested in combining their order with you to lower the per yard price.  How many wraps could you make per yard?  What would your unit cost be per unit?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
plummy
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009 08:36:58 PM »

I did think about that, but as I really wanted to make reusable sandwich bags not only for myself but also to sell, I wasn't sure it would be nice/polite/on the up-and-up to ask to buy fabric from this source, as she also sells reusable sandwich bags made from this material.  Thoughts? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009 08:38:21 AM »

Sometimes you have to go outside the norm with what you use to make stuff. What about this interesting waterproof bed cover thingie - says it's oeko-tex certified:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OEZ2ZU/ref=asc_df_B000OEZ2ZU479136?smid=A20XM9JIDWM1G&tag=dealtimecouk-kitchen-mp-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B000OEZ2ZU
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 08:39:00 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Simple Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: Introduction to Tunisian
How to Use Rainbow Looms
How to Prep and Paint Windows and Doors
Halloween Pumkpin Tootsie Pop Display
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...