A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Considering selling dinner as art  (Read 2353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goodtimegirl
« on: July 23, 2009 02:15:28 PM »

Do you think anyone would buy these?? Too crazy or quirky? More than likely, I'd either try on etsy or a local craft show.

What would you pay for them (or would you?)

I've made different colors and sizes; bowls and mugs; different drawings on the dinnerware; and some dinnerware with patterns--like cherry blossom china and such.

What do you think, Craftster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Possom

So many ideas, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009 03:53:50 AM »

I like the idea, its got a lovely quirky charm to it! I think they might appeal more with a stronger theme to each of them. So instance the plate you've posted has a flower theme, maybe try adding a few dried flowers to something. Or it could be a particular food? For me personally i'd prefer more ornate cutlery and maybe a fabric background, so the piece looks more like decoration. But then again i'm a sucker for anything ornate. I do like the colour of the background however, its got a very calming feel to it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trickypink
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009 10:00:17 AM »

I really like the simplistic design on the plate, but I'm not sure how I feel about the piece as a whole. I'd be more interested in purchasing the plate! I think as an idea, this could really work, but you may have to play with it a bit. Selecting a background and silverware that really compliments the plate would make it look like a whole piece of art. The streaky blue is just competing with the very simple and contemporary looking plate.

Have you considered doing a design on the plate that continues onto the background? Maybe have whatever you've painted spilling off the plate and onto the mat? Maybe you could even showcase it in some kind of shadowbox, like it's in a picture frame? Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unique recycled ceramics, prints, and hand painted pottery.
http://fanfareandfoofaraw.etsy.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009 06:04:32 AM »

Knife goes on the right!

As a foodie, I think the concept is pretty cool, but I agree it's not quite there yet. I'm not sure, though, what it would take.

Maybe a different kind of sculpture, where the utensils are springing out from the plate with wires, and the plate itself is the painted piece. Maybe add a bit of spiral wording on the plate or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010 12:13:43 PM »

I would buy cherry blossoms, and am currently making my wedding registry. Smiley Message me if you've set up an etsy store please!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HardLuckGal
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010 11:50:29 AM »

i LOVE the plate, but the canvas background is losing me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bird_in_flight
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010 03:12:43 PM »

Oh my... I would gladly buy that plate (and it's mates) in a heartbeat!!! I wish they were available now... I'd replace all my current stuff with that... or at least accent it. I just adore the quirky little flower design. So cute.

As for price.... I'm pretty cheap so don't really put my advice in the equation, but at least 10 bucks per plate? 8 bucks per mug? Or 12 bucks per plate, 10 bucks per mug? I don't know. Just an idea.

I do hope you sell these!

Take care,
Laney
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's so wrong it isn't right
bird_in_flight
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010 03:14:33 PM »

Ok. I am an id-iot.

I thought you were taking your dinner art and thinking about selling the pieces individually or as a set for actual meal use. Sorry!!

As for the art idea... yeah I like it. The background kind of overpowers the whole ensemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's so wrong it isn't right
Indiana
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010 11:24:00 PM »

I love it. I love dandelions too though. I think the art is great, it's simple and subtle. I think you wouldn't want to go OTT because it may look to goudy but everyone is different. So it's for wall hanging though? Is that right? I dunno... maybe you could go all sorts of ways with it? Maybe chopsticks and noodle bowls too? Not sure. If it was for eating off though, I'd totally buy a set for my dinner table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
MTLwordsmith
Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010 06:49:11 AM »

I love these as is. I'd love to have four of them and hang them in a circle on my kitchen wall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the Purple Cow
-Seth Godin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Pineapple Ice Cream Floats Recipe
Raw Donut Recipe
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Double Cinnamon Sugar Cookies Recipe
Salted Caramel & "Chocolate Chips" Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...