A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soaps for strong, but sensitive, skin?  (Read 649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluxxii
« on: July 22, 2009 09:33:18 PM »

My dad and I share a bond in that our skin is very tough in handling cuts and shaving, but is very sensitive in that we are easily prone to eczema and psoriasis. I've just formed an interest in CP soapmaking and haven't gone past the basics yet, but I definitely want to try making something that would help us out. I was particularly inspired when I noticed some powdered Tide in my parents' bathroom - apparently regular soap is too weak for him!

I'm thinking about pine tar soap with coconut oil and olive oil, which is a pretty standard recipe. What else can I add to it to make it stronger? I was thinking about adding lavender seeds, but I'm not too sure how well that would work. I guess I'm looking for something to make it harsher (think scratchy loofah soap) and still keep pine tar's healing properties.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009 12:42:42 AM »

Hiya, you might want to try an essential oil with antiseptic properties such as tea tree, and you might as well throw some lavender eo in while you're at it since it is so wonderful for skin problems. There are all kinds of scrubbies you can add to soap, ground oatmeal or ground coffee beans would be on the more gentle end of the spectrum while ground loofah and poppy seeds would be on the scrubbier side. I have a couple recipes that I add strawberry seeds to (in my avatar actually) and they are really scrubby, I have to go easy on them!

I don't know anything about lavender seeds...if you mean lavender buds, they aren't really that scrubby, but look pretty! They do kind of turn gray in cp soap though.

Yes, please help your dad so he doesn't have to use Tide!  Grin

You might want to look into recipes for gardener's soap, they usually have nice eo's as well as scrubby bits. The one I make has random citrus oils (I make it a bit differently every time lol!) with lemongrass, peppermint and other eo's and calendula petals, orange peel powder, and poppyseeds. I believe before I tweaked it I got the original recipe off of www.millersoap.com but recently I couldn't find it on there, so not sure if I was not looking in the right spot or it's not there or I got it somewhere else to begin with!

Another option might be to make a soap based scrub, like a salt scrub that you add some mp base or liquid soap into. Or just use an oil based scrub followed by a soap?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009 12:46:43 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
pink zebra
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009 05:03:59 AM »

Another option might be to make a soap based scrub, like a salt scrub that you add some mp base or liquid soap into. Or just use an oil based scrub followed by a soap?

i have ichtiosis vulgaris and sometimes also a bit of neurodermitis. while those are entirely different condtions i know very well where you are coming from.
i second MareMare's sugestion here, because it's what i do.
my shower routine is i do a salt scrub and then use soap.
for the salt scrub i make small batches with sea salt and a little olive oil and a few drops of essential oil (tea trea oil, most of the time, but sometimes something else for a little variation). most of the time i make about a cup full, that i will use within a week or two. it's the easiest thing to be made at home and works well for me.
i need the oil in my scrub because i have insamely dry skin, if this is not the case for you, you could make the small batches of scrubs with organic liquid soaps, perhaps. salt bars might be an option as well.

i also had soap with poppy seed and strawberry sees before, and liked them a lot, but they weren't scrubby enough for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009 12:03:39 PM »

Tide..as a body wash..

interesting..

let us know what works or not for him..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
fluxxii
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009 03:29:24 AM »

^^ I know, right? Poor guy!

The salt scrub sounds great, but I'm afraid that he won't use it. I've never really considered it before though. Are you supposed to use them before or during the shower?

I bought him some organic pine tar soap yesterday and he loved it. I think that's my goal, although I'm definitely not comfortable working with pine tar yet. One day, though! The ground loofah sounds great, I'm going to try that with some soaps. I don't have all of my CP stuff in one place though. Sad What would be a good base to use for MP? Unfortunately the only thing I can find locally is Life of the Party from the craft store. Tongue

I looked up some gardener's soap recipes and found one that called for ground walnut shells. Shocked That one's new to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Layer the Interior of the Hair
How to De-tangle and Cut Damaged Hair
Wedding Hairstyles - Updo
Wedding Hairstyles - Chignon
Hair Tips with Star Stylist Allan Avendano and Movie Star Joey King
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...