A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vinyl and Recycled Plastic Strapping (!!) Corset  (Read 5292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2009 05:21:49 PM »

Edited to put this image at top for the thumbnail. Smiley

I went away to Las Vegas for my birthday for the second week in July, because the notion of 105F weather doesn't frighten me LIKE IT SHOULD.

On one of the shuttles to or from somewhere, wearing a dress that I'd made, I suddenly decided that I wanted to make a corset. Mostly I thought it would be a cute addition to that specific dress in a bright yellow vinyl. When I got home, I received an announcement for the Marquis de Sade Ball the upcoming weekend. That solidified the project and the deadline. I can make a corset in, like, 3 days, right?

I've made a corset once before, using Simplicity 9769, affectionately known as the Giant Cock Corset, as I built it from upholstery fabric featuring colorful roosters on a burgundy field. It was sort of a test to see how hard it is to do, and what kinds of materials I could use. Looking at it now, I can see how I fouled it up a bit. I had used plastic needlepoint canvas in place of real boning, and that doesn't impart much structure at all.

I had originally made it in size 20 with 1.0mm seam allowance rather than the usual 1.5mm because I was concerned it would be too small. Turns out, it was a little too big that way, so I made this one in 20 with standard 1.5mm seam allowance. I wear RTW 16/18.

When I went to buy vinyl, I couldn't find a yellow. So I dug through the upholstery flats until I found on this beige/pink stuff on the red tag clearance table. It's a very... fleshy color, with leather texturing.

Because I had less than a week to make the thing, I didn't have enough time to order supplies, even if I'd wanted to. I've read about a lot of different things people have used for corset boning. I wanted something with some strength, but it's not like I'm doing tight-lacing or waist-training, so I didn't need to get carried away. My first thought was to get some of the biggest zip ties I could get. Lowe's has 175-lb test zip ties in 18" lengths for something like $4.50/8. They were a little narrow and I'd have preferred they be stiffer, but at least they were immediately available and not horribly expensive -- although I would have to buy 3 packages.

Someone had also suggested to me that I grab some of the steel banding that lumber yards use to bind pallets of board. The Lowe's I was at doesn't use steel banding, but rather a heavy-duty plastic. This seemed like a good thing to try as I could use utility scissors to cut/round it, and I wouldn't have to worry about rust-proofing.

Recycled Plastic Strapping Boning

The pattern calls for twill tape as boning casings, but the plastic strapping was actually wider than the steel bones would have been -- just a touch under the width of extra-wide double-fold bias tape that's been opened up. What a coincidence! (Oh there are no coincidences in math.)

I opened up the bias tape and stripped it over the seams, pinning just through the flannel backing, then stitched close to the edges. More bias tape went roughly through the middles of the panels for still more boning. More boning! Can never get enough boning. This was fun because this was one of those situations where you have to put a layer of tissue paper between the vinyl and the sewing machine so it doesn't get all skippy.

Flat and Sewn Panels

As with the boning, I knew I wouldn't have enough time to order a traditional busk for the closure, but it occurred to me to call the better fabric store in town, Haberman in Royal Oak, because they have a bridal salon. Turns out, they do have busks in stock -- for $35. If there is any theme that carries through most of my projects, that theme would be CHEAP. So I didn't see making that investment. Realistically my choices were zipper, as used on the Giant Cock corset, or... nothing. I went with nothing. Thought it would look slicker.

As for the rear lacing, I had some two-part grommets on hand. I took the two bones that were to go in the back edges and drilled evenly-spaced holes -- and how much do I love garment projects that involve power tools? When I installed the grommets, I skipped half the holes that I'd drilled -- there are 9 lacing holes in the corset now, but there are, in fact, 17 holes available. Just in case.

After the grommets were in and all the bones in place, my old friend extra-wide double-fold bias tape finished the top and bottom edges. And that's it! Fairly rigid, nicely heavy duty corset! Here's the price breakdown, as I remember:
Clearance vinyl: $3 for 1 yard
Extra-wide double-fold bias tape: 3 packages (1 for casings, 2 for edging) at around $2/pkg
Plastic boning: Free
Grommets: On hand
Round waxed cotton cord: $4.50 for about 5 times as much as I needed

And I started cutting Wednesday and wore it out Saturday (and I have a full-time day job in the in-between). All-in-all maybe... 6-8 hours, HALF of which was probably installing those consarned grommets.

Corset Front

Corset Rear

As usual, the piece looks better on me than it does on the dummy, but Heddy is wearing the same outfit that I wore to the Ball that Saturday night; that is a black vinyl pencil skirt. The corset is quite comfortable, although getting into it was... a bit of a challenge. I figured if I got it mostly right I could borrow someone's slave once at the event, for purely wardrobe purposes. You can see that I tied it in the front, so I was able to keep it well adjusted. Well, enough so that whenever I dropped anything, I had to have someone else pick it up for me. A small price to pay, I'd say.

My only "complaint" at this point is that it's too plain. Because it was largely a test, and was in a bit of a hurry, I didn't do anything decorative to it. I really want to play up the fleshy aspect of it. I had considered doing some semi-random Frankenstein-style stitches to make it look like the panels were pieced together from smaller pieces of skin. But I also thought it would be cool to have someone draw some old tattoo-style art on it. We'll see what I wind up with before it hits the city again the next time.

ACTION!

My Goofy Self

PS
As always, a more blah-blah version with more pictures is also available on my website:
www.shefightslikeagirl.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009 05:26:28 PM by Dorion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamlessgem
The family that raves together, stays together...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009 06:01:53 PM »

Fantastic, I checked out your blog and it does look scarily like skin!
I might just have to tackle a bit of corset making for the next three day rave we've got scheduled. Gonna have to give myself a bit longer than 3 days though.
Congrats, you've got some mad sewing skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rothmanns
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009 06:17:11 PM »

Wow! What an amazing corset!

And your a very beautiful lady! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatherweather33
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 07:31:46 PM »

Well, how darn cute are you?!
(very btw..)

This looks really cool, and i LOVE the idea of putting some old school tattoo flash onto it!
Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE MORE!
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009 03:24:42 PM »

That is awesome, and it does look a LOT like skin. (Something about that and the event you made it for, seems oddly appropriate! Wink)
BTW, I love your blouse also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
SillySlippers
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009 09:39:34 PM »

good job. I've been working myself up to corset making, just need a bit more confidence in my abilities is all. If you can bust one out in 3 days surely i can do it in a reasonable amount of time. It is a fleshy color and i think tattoo style artwork would look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
EkkaGrrl
I'm normal.. the rest of you are crazy!

mmm.. fabric...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009 04:12:08 PM »

Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking lately that I'd love to try my hand at a corset. It's great to see how you've done it. It's a huge help. Now I need to just jump in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I completed my best craft project EVA!! 10 lb 2 oz baby Violet! Born at home in my own bed!! Smiley

Wisty Goodness!
http://wists.com/EkkaGrrl
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 07:47:51 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments! It's a good piece that I can certainly imagine getting more use out of. What's funny about that blouse is that it's one of those things that's been in my closet and I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of it and then I don't and then I'm going to and I don't think I've ever worn it... but then it was perfect for that night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009 04:42:05 PM »

Brilliant!

LOL, it's always the grommets!  Mine took forever to do as well!

You know what might look kewl?  Do tattoo like designs in black thread all over it!  Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009 11:03:06 AM »

Brilliant!

LOL, it's always the grommets!  Mine took forever to do as well!

You know what might look kewl?  Do tattoo like designs in black thread all over it!  Fun!

That's another idea I had! I started to kind of sketch something in thread, but the stitches were uneven and I was running out of time... so there is one small little detail down by the waist, which I just left there. Next time, or if I make something else out of this vinyl, maybe I'll do some stitchery on the vinyl while it's still flat, rather than trying to go over the seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macho Makeover - Basic Adjustments 1
Macho Makeover - Introduction - Part 1
Using Lip Gloss Optimizer in Photoshop Part 1
Photoshop Tutorial - Multitones & Masking
Photoshop Tutorial -Toning & Burning
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...