A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Band T-shirts  (Read 34078 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

washu
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004 10:24:17 AM »

I've had really good luck, when making T-shirts, with that inkjet printer iron on transfer paper. I copy the logo in Illustrator or something like that, then print it out and iron it on. It looks great, you can use any color combination you want, and it's less messy than spray paint for sure! Plus, much easier to do a Pixies logo. Also, good T shirts can be found at Old Navy for about $8.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LindsayEfg
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004 07:02:38 PM »

Not to be a salesperson, but American Apparel (americanapparelstore.com) make a huge variety of tshirt cuts and colors, are sweatshop free, and offer a 100% organic cotton that I think is really neat-looking (ecru in color with tiny, smooth specks of cotton plant parts). They're much pricier but if you're doing business you can order wholesale, and you don't have to have sweatshop labor on your conscience this time (since the tshirt industry is dominated by the practice).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tatty Divine

Raindrops keep falling on my head..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2004 02:22:52 PM »

Oh my. Those t-shirts are gorgeous!
I'm going to see the yeah yeah yeahs next month and I'm tempted to make a shirt like that!
I made this one of Jeff Buckley, a couple of months ago

I might make a smiths one, because I have a green t-shirt exactly like the one you've used for the clash.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksea
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004 08:12:51 AM »

Lindsayefg: That American Apparel web site is really cool; I'd love to order from there knowing it's sweatshop free. Thanks for pointing it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xXsarahXx

craft addict !!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004 12:14:44 PM »

hello everyone. an awesome place to get ur blank tees is at a craft store (my fave...AC Moore) they run for about 3 bucks for tees and about 5 for sweatshirts.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::sarah::.
Gina
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2004 09:33:40 AM »

breeknee: Did your friend just make one shirt for herself, or was she making a bunch and selling them?  

Also, am I not the only one who is DYING to know what band this is??  Maybe you can give us a hint...hehe.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breeknee
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2004 09:38:33 PM »

Gina- she made a shirt for herself and 3 of us when we all went to the band's concert, and as we passed the booth where they were selling merchandise, one person asked where we got our shirts and my friend said she made them, at that point the person asked for her name phone number etc, to purchase one. It turns out the dude was working there. I guess he must have been working selling all of those stupid ass 30 dollar shirts and got pissy that someone had one but didn't buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaeon

"Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004 03:26:56 PM »

Based on the situation, it sounds like they interpreted it as her selling the shirts, because she had produced a number of them.  If she gave the guy her number with the indication that she would sell a shirt to him, they have every legal right to get angry.  

I know that this is an emotional subject to a lot of people, so I want to state that my point here is not to offend.  I personally think it's cool if you make one shirt for yourself to promote a band.  That's pretty much free advertising.  But I personally don't agree with selling them.  Bands make a good deal of their money off of tours and tees, usually more than they make from CD sales (labels charge enormous rates for use of the studio even if the band is signed to that label, and frequently CD sales don't even pay what they owe for studio time).

Also, frequently people want to think that if a band wants money for any products with their names on it, that makes them greedy, and less "indie" than they claim to be.  But see it from the band's point of view; if they're any good, they've probably really struggled to get to where they are.  This means playing for little or nothing in small venues, touring with nothing more than a van, sleeping in the van or in the homes of strangers kind enough to put them up for the night.  I know this sounds melodramatic, but I've known people from bands who did all of this, and all the time they're seeking the opportunity to do this for a living, without having to have a "day job."  And most don't make it.  So if a band actually finally gets successful, then yeah, they've got a right to get upset if someone else profits off of their name.  They may just have their chins above the bar at that point in their career, and simply not need competition from someone selling tees with their name on it for $10 less than what they charge.  

Sorry if this comes off as a bit pedantic.  I don't download songs anymore either; I used to think it was harmless, but now it appears that downloading has really hurt the indie music world.  I don't think sueing the fans is the answer, though, and I hope that things turn out ok for your friend, Breeknee.  If she can prove that she did not hurt the band's profits in any way (in other words, didn't actually profit herself), she may not get fined.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KOhlthemule
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2004 04:00:24 PM »

I am dating a Drummer and I wanted to make little shirts for all the wives/girlfriends so we could be supportive.  Well the way everything was set up...  to make the cost low enough for us, I had to buy 5 extra shirts to sell at  a gig ,  that way the customer was paying for the bulk of the cost and we got ours for next to nothing.

Well I was flabergasted when the lead and the guitarists demanded all profits that I got. "its our name"  kinda thing.   It was soo weird, almost like I had never met these people before.  The singer is a groomsman in my upcoming wedding for crying out loud.   So now their wives and I are Swagless.  Whatever.

I think musicians are in a space of thier own.  I just wanted to make back my money.   And these guys play in dive bars too, so I wouldn;t be suprised if a drunk-ass threw the shirts into the crowd as "freebies".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
Maxwellmurder
Come on love run away with me

Imma thread the needle

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2004 10:53:38 PM »

my first stencil, or well part of the shirt, it also says the blood brothers at the top..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stacy Defiant.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Let It Be on a Guitar
How to Play Michelle on a Guitar
How to Play Louie Louie on a Guitar
Norwegian Wood Easy Acoustic Rhythm Guitar Lesson
How to Make a Tattoo Stencil by Hand
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...