A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renaissance Festival Imp Costume  (Read 5116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

parallax
« on: July 22, 2009 10:49:05 AM »

Soooo the faire that I go to added a Midsummer Fantasy weekend this year and I knew right away that's the weekend we'd go.
I went to town crafting up all the fun things I could think of, all the nifty bits and pieces I always want to wear but can never find an outlet for. I wanted horns, pointy ears, wings, sparkley makeup, a corset and yeah.
I made just about everything I wore - the blouse, skirt, corset, wings and pouches. I had made a set of polymer clay horns but I dropped one and it broke and I couldn't get it glued back together properly Sad and of course ran out of time to make new ones.
So here's the photos, you can see more at my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/parallax/sets/72157621772418320/

Close up where you can see some of my makeup. I glue bits of feathers to my eyelashes and used shimmery copper and gold eyeshadow, glitter and stick on gems. You can't really see the sparkle in still photos, though. Also, check out the adorable little kitty face buttons I found! I cut that pouch out of an old fake leather backpack and used the button and a hair rubber band to make the closure.

Full body with my husband prior to entering:

My wings

A good shot of the corset

Fooling around with my friend who dressed as a plague doctor. Yes, he made his mask himself! He cut out the leather, wet-formed it and then stitched the pieces together. The lenses are soldered in and from an cheap pair of sunglasses. He used a light white wash over it and sealed it with wax to withstand any moisture. And yes, he stuck a bag of period-appropriate herbs in the beak to fend of the miasma. In this picture he is checking for buboes. Little does he know that impy little fae don't get the plague, we CAUSE the plague Tongue

So the corset is made from the TV 110. I used black polyester shantung from Joann's and I used WonderUnder to attach it to coutil, with the duller side out (the shiny side was just too shiny for me). I used black twill for the inner layer. It's boned mostly with industrial zip ties, although I put metal in the channels beside the grommets. I did one mock-up and then went to town with it. It's the first time I remembered to short it at the waist (I'm very short and short-waisted) so it's also the first time I've achieved a nice hourglass reduction.
The wings are made from 14g wire I bought at Walmart and their .33 cent white knee highs. I played around with the wire until I got a shape I liked, then I stretched the pantyhose over the frame and secured it with clear electric tape. Then I took a stick of incense and used that to poke all the holes. I used basic acrylic craft paints to paint the designs. I watered down Elmer's glue and painted that where I wanted glitter and just dumped a ton on Tongue I took each set of three pieces and twisted them together and then sealed them with more tape and then used the stems (I left at least a foot and half of wire on each piece) to make the bracket. It's a squared-off "U" shape with a figure eight twist below. I wrapped ribbon around it to cover up the tape and wire and that just got stuck down my back and supported by the corset.
The skirt was super-duper easy - four panels of fabric that I made a 1" tube on and threaded waistband elastic through. I will be sewing up some of the panels, though, because having four super high slits made it hard to stop from showing a little too much skin (even though I wore striped pantyhose). That was the only uncomfortable part about the costume.
The blouse is a peasant-shirt that I didn't add sleeves to.

Aaaand that's pretty much it! I hope you like it, I'm really proud of it and got many compliments from the actors and people working there. Most of the patrons were less impressed, though Sad I think many people prefer typical looking fairies and not so much with the dark fairy/imp look. Oh well, I think it's awesome!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009 10:54:39 AM by parallax » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tkyro57
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009 10:55:20 AM »

Wow! This absolutely fantastic. All the hard work you put into your costume really shines! It looks professional, and very well made. I am very impressed, and wishing I had your talent!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009 11:21:27 AM »

This costume is AMAZING.  I love it so much!  I also really like your friend's plague doctor costume.  You guys did a great job.  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymary
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 11:58:56 AM »

Your costume looks amazing.  I love the corset and the wings especially. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009 12:18:11 PM »

You put a lot of work into your costume and it really shows!  The corset is fantastic and I'm drooling over the wings-  They're so whimsical. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
parallax
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009 10:40:06 AM »

Thank you everyone, such wonderful compliments! I really appreciate it Smiley

I thought the wings were pretty easy to make, I encourage you all to give it a try. The best part is that if you already have craft paint and wire cutters, they only cost about $10 to make! And they also make lovely wall-art peices Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009 03:11:22 PM »

You look, like I could have loads of fun with you!
The outfit is great, I envy it, and your friend as Dr. Schabel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 07:46:28 PM »

Just beautiful. I just love the corset. And your makeup is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
tarriknits
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009 09:11:55 AM »

IMPTASTIC - yeah you heard me, imptastic. that's totally a word.

Awesome costume. The wings are fab and the corset is a great fit. Can be worn again and again.

(Tell your friend his plague doctor mask is superb too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parallax
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009 11:28:42 AM »

You look, like I could have loads of fun with you!
The outfit is great, I envy it, and your friend as Dr. Schabel!

Thanks you, I don't recognize the name Dr. Schabel, though. Could you tell me more about the doctor?

IMPTASTIC - yeah you heard me, imptastic. that's totally a word.

Awesome costume. The wings are fab and the corset is a great fit. Can be worn again and again.

(Tell your friend his plague doctor mask is superb too!)

Haha I love the word Imptastic, I will now work it into my regular vocabulary! Thanks for the compliments! I definitely went for an all-purpose black corset that'll go with just about anything. It will cut down on my sewing time for other costumes now, hopefully Smiley
And I will definitely pass your compliment onto my friend. That was just his prototype, too, he's planning on working on another one - I can't wait to see what he comes up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Jewelry
How to Make Shrink Plastic Jewelry and Accessories
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...