A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: furniture on etsy? and too much variety?  (Read 2408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 21, 2009 08:48:07 PM »

i am starting an esty shop focused on selling products made from post-consumer materials. i'm going to be offering lots of items-hand knit accessories and clothing, sewn clothing, hand dyed yarn, hand spun yarn, vintage items, furniture, and household items. i am concerned that people may not want to buy furniture based on shipping costs? does anyone sell furniture on etsy? if so have you had any success?

i'm also a little worried that i have too many different kinds of items. they all center around the theme of being 'green' by reusing materials and giving them a new lease on life. on one hand i think that it should work because the items that i am selling are all very common in the indie shops in my town- but on the other hand i'm worried because it seems like people tend to have more of a niche on etsy.

thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
crafty gurll
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009 11:25:12 PM »

Since they all center around a theme, I think it's more than ok to have lots of different items.

Shipping costs may deter some people, but who knows?  Local people may buy, or if someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay the shipping. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 09:04:31 AM »

I would love to sell the furniture I've repainted and rehabbed, and I've thought about it but the shipping costs would kill me, especially because most of the furniture I rehab is the old, heavy stuff from the thrift store.  Even end tables are quite hefty.  Craftygurl was right, though; try selling furniture locally instead.  I did that with one of my book tables (its a wood tabletop and the legs are small piles of books)--I sold one to a local bookstore owner when I showed him a little demonstration of it at his store.  I couldn't really transport it far because it was going to be so heavy, so we worked out an arrangement where I came in to his store and worked on it in the backroom.  That worked out wonderful!

As for a niche on Etsy, I wouldn't worry about having a particular one.  In fact, I'd say the way you make things out of recycled materials is a niche in itself!  That's what my niche is--I make wallets, jewelry and home decorations out of recycled materials.  I'm also expanding my offerings to polymer clay jewelry, but "recycled crafts" will always be my niche.  It's one thing when you make a craft out of traditional craft materials, but its another thing altogether when you figure out how to adapt non-traditional materials to make traditional-type crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009 10:31:09 PM »

thanks for the encouragement guys! selling furniture locally seems like it may be the way to go, but why not list the items on etsy anyhow- i mean after all it only costs 20 cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
FriendlyJas
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 08:56:07 AM »

I agree that furniture shipping costs would be way too much. However, I would list them on Etsy because you can "buy local" on Etsy and I know I personally check locally from time to time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SELF Magazine’s 2014 Healthy Beauty Award Winners
How to Apply Blush
The Best Makeup at Sephora
Melt-Proof Makeup
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...