A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some fun stuff for lil 'ol me :)  (Read 3382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: July 21, 2009 05:56:22 PM »

Let's start out in my awesome kitchen shall we?  I made this cute apron for me.  All mine!  When I get home from work I usually dont change out of my nice clothes before I start in on dinner.  I have on more than one occassion received tomato or olive oil smatterings on my white tops.  Time to make a cute apron!  I really like this fabric, so I made up a pattern (sorta)  and it is fully reversable.  Big pleats in this one.

Oh, and it you want to see the whole kitchen, I have a post up on Craftster on it here:  URL="http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304630.0

This dress started out as just a simple shirred sundress.  I was hoping to wear it on the 4th, but it was a bit of a fiasco on its first turn.  It also took longer than I anticipated.  First, it took 5 or 6 bobbins worth of elastic thread, and just sewing that took a bit of time.  Then I put the straps in the wrong spot (again I need a dressform!), and had to redo them.  I thought it looked a bit plain, so I added two layers of ruffle on the bottom.  The long ruffle layers have rolled hems on each side, and I had to ruffle it by hand.  Another time consuming task to get them ruffled and even along the hemline.

Next, I thought it needed something else, so I made an obi-style belt for it.    It was the first time I made one, and I think I drafted it too wide and too long.  It has interfacing on both sides and many rows of stitching of the interior.  It was a learning experience, though, and I enjoyed the process.

I made these next dresses last weekend from patterns.  The first one is from a Project Runway pattern by Simplicity #3530 and the other is Simplicity #3875.  I do like how they both fit, with an exception of the billowy front on the blue one.  I bet I could hide a good 6 month baby bump under that.  Oh well.  I really like the fresh looking fabric and it was time consuming with lots of pintucking on the sleeves and the front.  It even has a zipper in the back that doesnt look too horrible.  The pink one is so very pinkand brightIm not sure where to wear it yet.

Thanks for looking and any comments  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009 06:02:04 PM »

Really cute stuff. I want that first dress so much. I wish I could reach through the computer and grab it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009 06:06:21 PM »

i love all of these but that pink dress looks amazing with your hair and skin tone, my goodness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009 09:11:17 PM »

that apron is so rockin'!  I love it!  And those dresses?!  wonderful.  great work.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandal43
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009 06:01:08 AM »

Excellent job on all of the dresses and the apron.  I love the pink dress....All of your stuff looks amazing on you... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009 06:13:14 AM »

Beautiful dresses and beautiful you!  I especially like the first dress, with the ruffle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009 06:43:29 AM »

Stacy, you,  your kitchen and  your dresses are stunning!!  Great Job!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tkyro57
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009 07:00:54 AM »

Beautiful! The fabric choices for the dresses are stellar, and they all look really well made. Well done!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009 07:11:08 AM »

Thanks so much everyone! 

The first dress with the ruffle, I'm not a huge fan of how it looks on me (all that extra fabric on top makes me look bigger), but I love the fabric so much.  I wish I knew what type of fabric it was.  It is heavy but very drapey and pliable.  It's gorgeous.

I think my favorite is definitely the pink dress.  It's super comfy, too since it is a polyester knit.  The pattern calls for cotton for the dress, but I think it lays better with a knit.  I did use cotton for the waist band, ties, middle part and neck bias facing to give it better structure.  I made one before from the same pattern only a little different top part (look at my past topics to find it if you are interested).  It's a good pattern to have.  It went together pretty quick, too...maybe three hours??

Again, thanks!  I really appreciate the compliments. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becgordo
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009 07:19:39 AM »

Really beautiful work!  I think the yellow shirred is gorgeous on you--the addition of a more pronounced ruffle on the bottom definitely balances out any worries you may have on the top.  The fabric choices are all lovely--the blue/white is so fresh and the pink looks lovely on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
How to Budget Your First Movie
How to Write Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...