A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Little Piece of Embroidery  (Read 1270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Merrelise
« on: July 21, 2009 11:52:39 AM »

I decided to learn how to embroider a couple of months ago after seeing all of the great projects on this site.  This is the first (and only) thing I ever embroidered.  I just found it in one of my dresser drawers. Smiley

It turned out a little crooked and shaky because I can't sew in a straight line, but I kind of like it.  

One of the things I don't like is that lines are really thin compared to the other needleworks I see on this site.  I don't know if I'm using the wrong kind of thread or fabric or something.  Are there some special materials you need for embroidery to make it turn out right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009 12:07:11 PM »

Dear Merrelise - it is very pretty, and amazing for a first project. Don't worry about the straight lines - who wants them, anyway?
But about the thin lines - you can make them as thin or thick as you want, it is one of the wonderfull things about embroidery, you can really play with your needles. Try using different stitches - there are books with these - different kinds Of thread, try laying several layers of stitches on top of each others, and so on.
  But your work is fine as it is - it looks like a drawing made by pencil.
I am looking foreward to see more from your hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LostInOz
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009 12:26:59 PM »

That's absolutely fantastic, especially for a first attempt- great job! Don't worry about straight lines- as Taramor said, it looks like a hand drawn picture.

I use 2 threads almost exclusively when I stitch, dropping down to one for fine details like faces. Others use more, you can use as many as you like to get the chunkiness you're looking for.

You can find heaps of tutorials on the internet for different stitches, which will give you different looks- TreeCactus has a pile of video tutorials on her website that I love. There's a thread with all the links here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141604.0

Keep at it- if this is your first attempt, you've got a big future ahead of you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xugardust
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009 01:01:40 PM »

Really amazing for a first attempt.  Imagine what the second attempt will look like...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xugardust/sets/72157613102214201/
artoo1121
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009 02:15:27 PM »

I think it's great!  It's from Super Smash Brothers, right?  Yay geeky embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my store, Portrait of a Penguin!  Learn the history of the ancient penguins!

Come check out my blog, Geek Central Station!
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009 05:15:23 PM »

Nice job, Merrelise!

the great thing about embroidery is that it is a very forgiving medium of art - and straight lines are rarely of huge importance!  Wink

if you are worried about not having thick enough stitches you can use more thread on the needle (I have used as many as 4 strands) or take incredibly tiny stitches if you don't want to try more variety until you are more comfy with the needle and thread and hoop and juggling all that stuff  Wink

I love embroidery, but it takes me a long time to finish a project because I am an old crone of a woman with bad eyesight, LOL!

check the online tutes, also check the library for books on stitching - sometimes you can even get some at those sales libraries have where they sell of the old books for dirt cheap, and honestly I think the really old books on stitching have as much to offer or more then the more modern ones do!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Muddlepud
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009 08:15:34 PM »

Wow, awesome for a first project. I really like how it looks like a drawing. Just add or omit strands of floss to get different thicknesses, and different stitches will achieve different looks too. If you search around Craftster or Google, you will find a wealth of information on embroidery, with lots of great tutorials for expanding your stitch knowledge. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009 04:50:51 AM »

This is an amazing first attempt.  Good job!

I think it's great!  It's from Super Smash Brothers, right?  Yay geeky embroidery!

And yes!  It's Hyrule Castle... I thought it looked familiar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009 12:04:18 PM »

Lovely first piece!  One of the many things I love about embroidery is how personal a medium it is. 

Thread type, fabric type, tension, how you hold the fabric (or the hoop) and the how you place the needle often dictates how the stitches look much as the stitch you're using.

Not sewing a straight line is Merrelise's personal style, and it works for me!

Keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009 04:29:49 PM »

Very cool. I like the eerie feel to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everything You Need to Know Before Getting Pastel Hair Color
Snooki BTS Hair Extensions at Vidov Salon NYC
How To Style Wet Hair Quickly
How To Create a Messy Up Do With Cesar Ramirez
Crown Braid Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...