A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 315,403
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 States Block Swap Round 2 Gallery  (Read 14855 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt_square  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahj2001
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009 11:02:06 PM »

I finished cutting all my pieces today.  I wanted to start sewing today but I had too many other things to finish.  Anyways, I thought I'd share a picture.

Here's Georgia's fabric:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009 02:40:06 PM »

I really love your fabric choices everyone.  I have decided to post photos of my three finished blocks.  I will let you gals figure out which states they're for (although, the one should be pretty obvious!)

I still have to square them all up because even though I cut everything to size, when I sewed the pieces together, they got all wonky   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009 04:04:35 PM »

Yum, I love the oranges, blueberries, and tomatoes. Produce!! Smiley

I need to get cracking on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rangerbeth
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009 06:55:26 PM »

I absolutely LOVE them magadoo! I can't believe you were nervous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gkswife
Crazy lady with a glue gun

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009 07:22:07 PM »

Those blocks are beautiful!!

I'm finally getting my pieces cut and realizing I am WAY short on fabric - ugh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009 07:38:12 PM »

I'm finally getting my pieces cut and realizing I am WAY short on fabric - ugh!

Me too. I might have to start over on a bunch of mine (or have 2 versions of a couple of them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crimson_aurora
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009 07:48:44 PM »

You know, I don't think that it would be bad for us to have variations in our blocks.  As long as the fabrics still relate to the state and we can explain our choices.  For example, I'm thinking I'm going to run out of a red rose fabric, but I have some solid red in my stash that I may have to substitute.  I can still explain that the red represents roses which is the state flower of NY. 

I think that we have to remember that this is supposed to be fun and also try not to completely break the bank!!!  I don't know how much you have all spent thus far but I'm definitely in the hole a bit for this project!!!  I don't mind though because it's so fun!!!!

BTW- the poker chip fabric is too cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 State Blocks - Crafting
yardenxanthe
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009 09:48:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't think we should feel bad if we end up with 2 versions of each block - each person is only getting one, so it's not like it will adversely affect their quilt if they get a different block than someone else!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009 06:20:27 AM »

Yum, I love the oranges, blueberries, and tomatoes. Produce!! Smiley

My original idea for all my states was to find fabric that pictured the food stuff that each states was known for or #1 in producing.  That ended up not working out so well so I switched gears.  I know, personally, that I would have loved to have a whole quilt depicting food!

I think that we have to remember that this is supposed to be fun and also try not to completely break the bank!!!  I don't know how much you have all spent thus far but I'm definitely in the hole a bit for this project!!!  I don't mind though because it's so fun!!!!

Even if each of us are in the hole a little bit, it would have been more expensive if we decided to do this type of quilt on our own because then we would be buying 100+ different types of fabrics!  In the way that we are mass-producing a small number of states and then swapping them (the fun part!), we're actually saving! 

Anywhoo, I'm super excited to see all the blocks put together.  Has anyone yet mapped out how they're going to piece all the blocks together for the quilt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crimson_aurora
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2009 09:42:33 AM »

Magadoo- I totally agree that if we were making all 50 states on our own it would be crazy expensive and generally complicated trying to keep track of 100-150 different types of fabric!  That's why this swap is so wonderful!!!

My plan is to not actually make one quilt from the blocks.  I'm a Social Studies teacher and what I was thinking about doing is sewing together 10 groups of 5 blocks and making mini quilts from them.  Then I'm going to display them in my classroom so that my students can see the different representations of each state.  I'm thinking it will be pretty and a teaching tool all in one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 State Blocks - Crafting
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Thanksgiving Must - Haves to Save You From Even Holiday Mishaps
Four Unique Cranberry Sauce Recipes
How To Turn Your Thanksgiving Leftovers Into Cajun Turkey Pasta
Where Holiday Cranberries Are Coming From
Use It or Lose It: How Long to Keep Thanksgiving Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...