A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help... I fell in love with this dress.  (Read 1438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zynamon
« on: July 20, 2009 03:38:47 PM »

Hi folks.

I'm not new to sewing by any means, and I decided that I was going to have a short dress wedding as it'll be at a camp site. Well the more I've done research, the more I've fallen in love with dramatic romantic dresses. My number one dress right now is this:

I'm assuming I could just sew the lace to a bustier with a bit of a lace overlay on the back for the buttons, and make basically a circle skirt and start gathering and sewing tulle to it, and on the top layer sew the lace on by hand and then sew all that to the bustier. Am I going in the right direction, or am I completely off?

Actually an after thought, I'd have to sew all the lace (bustier and bottom) on after the skirt was sewn on, right? Also, how do I go about getting those amazing buttons, and the piece that goes around them? And would a double sided satin ribbon would for the bow?

Sorry to ask so much of you, I just adore this dress plus romantic and country seems perfect to me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009 03:44:50 PM by zynamon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009 05:59:01 PM »

You can get kits for covering buttons in fabric, and I'm not sure how small they go, but I bet they have that size. As for the loops, that's probably just a tiny loop of white elastic "string" for each button to go through. The reason the buttons aren't THROUGH the loops in the pix you shared is likely because the photographer was too lazy to do aaaaaaaall those buttons up when the zipper holds the dress on the judy just fine. Double-face satin ribbon would be one-up on the pictures, because that ribbon looks like it's satin on only one side.

Regarding lace/bustier/skirt stuff, you could make it a two-piece ensemble, with the bustier seperate from the skirt portion. That would make attaching the lace to the bustier much easier. To make sure the skirt and bustier don't move around too much, you could put little teeny hooks around the waistband of the skirt with the eyes on the inside of the bustier (or vice versa, whichever works better).

Oh, and if it's at a campsite, I hope you do it ... what's ankle length properly referred to? Arg. But ya, that way you can show off some cool shoes and not get the hem too dirty. You could even do it tea-length, like a 50s dress. That would make it way easier to keep clean AND easier to dance in (and recyclable as a younger female relative's prom gown, such as your future daughter or niece, cuz then it'll be "vintage" and hence very hip and cool Cheesy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zynamon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009 08:46:07 AM »

My other dress that I currently have is knee length, and I really love the idea of this being long. I don't mind it getting dirty at all, one of the benefits of making my own dress is being able to shove it in the washing machine. Besides, I'd really like to do a trash the dress shoot afterwards so a little dirt won't matter too much.

I had never thought about making them separate, and you're right, I think that would work much better! Would I just gather the skirt though like I would for a petticoat? (Yeah I know, bas example but was the only thing besides a tu-tu that I could think of that was tulle and gathered.) Or how would I go about cutting it/sewing it?

Thanks so much though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamasurvivalsupply

Do not annoy your wardrobe supervisor!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 11:19:50 AM »

Atlanta Thread Supply has bridal supplies, like the satin buttons and guts and stuff. They sell to the trade and the public and I've always been very pleased with their service and pricing. They have a website, a Google search would turn them up.

Lovely dress, makes me a little sad to read "trash the dress" but also that's kinda bad-a**...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alabama Survival Supply- good stuff y'all
www.bamasurvivalsupply.etsy.com
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009 11:39:13 AM »

The skirt panels are probably REALLY big trapezoids. Pretend you're doing say, 6 panels. Each trapezoid would be 1/6th your waist measure at the top, plus however much you want for gathering, plus seam allowances. Cartridge pleating may be the method to use if you end up with LOTS of fabric at the waistband: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cartpleat/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009 02:42:35 PM »

ITA with Alexus with doing it 2 piece.  To be honest the wedding dress appears that way to me.  Also to take into consideration, a friend of mine just got married and she refers to her wedding dress as the 50lb dress, and it took 2 people to get it off of her, it was a corset style bodice.  Two pieces, especially at a campsite might be more easier to work with. 

It's a gorgeous dress btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zynamon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009 05:55:13 PM »

I should have mentioned, if I make my own bustier, would I still need to allow for stretching? I just want it to fit snug over the chest and just graze my skin everywhere else. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009 10:48:23 PM »

If you interface the bustier, it shouldn't stretch very much even when alot of force is applied. If it's going to fit snugly, but not tight like a corset, I think doing a mockup in plain old cotton should be fine, but you can also do the mockup out of sew-in interfacing to make doubly sure that it doesn't stretch out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009 07:50:47 AM »

This is how you make the loops for a long row of buttons like that:
you take a long piece of string -for this I'd use a really thin satin string, ready made- and position it in place forming a continuous s form until you have the desired number of loops.  Pin in place and stitch.  Done!  You really don't want to sew each loop on its own, it's way too tiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Beauty Tips
Back to School, Back to Work, Back to Fall Beauty
Toxic Beauty?
What Green Beauty Products Should We Be Using?
There Are Over 10,000 Toxic Ingredients In Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...