A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Perfectly Vintage Sunhats  (Read 25412 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 20, 2009 12:40:03 PM »

I'm going on vacation to a national park in a few days. We will be doing a lot of hiking and outdoor activities. My MIL was told by her doctor to start wearing hats since sun related damage runs in her family. I figured I'd whip up one for each of us for vacation.
This is mine. I found the wonderful vintage fabric at a yard sale! I even have enough left over to whip up a hat or 2 for friends.

The pattern is vintage inspired as well. I used some measurements from online, but the construction of the hat was all my way. I was told the measurements I used to make my pattern came from an online program called Wild Things. I didn't have this program and made my own pattern on the computer using the measurements I found in a google search. Go search out the program! It is probably much easier than my way of doing things! Smiley  I top stitched around mine 5 times so the brim lays nice.

This is the hat for the MIL. A more subtle print. Nice light fabric so the head won't get hot. This one only needed to be top stitched around 3 times.

A pic of both hats in the grass. These were so much fun I plan to whip up a few more!

Edited to insert tutorial

I had a chance to whip up the tute today! If anyone has any issues or questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to further explain any steps. It is pretty straight forward I hope!
Here is the pattern pieces I made for the pattern. The crown of the hat (the circle) is a circle with a 7 and 3/4 inch diameter. The band of the hat (long strip) is 23 inches long by 5 inches wide. The hat brim is 25 inch arch and 15 and a 1/2 inches from edge to edge with the other half circle cut out.

Cut out pieces. 1 crown, 1 band, 2 brims, and 1 brim out of interfacing.
Cut the brim with the 2 small parts on the fold.

Now iron (if you are using iron on interfacing) or baste your interfacing to the wrong side of 1 of your hat brims.

Layer the 2 hat brims, one with interfacing, right sides together and sew around the outer edge.

I then use a pinking shears to trim my seam, but if you don't have one you can always trim with a regular scissors and clip the curves.

Turn the brim right sides out and press around the outer seam to make it lay flat.

Fold your brim in half and trim the inner circle so that everything is nice and even.

Now top stitch around the outer circle of your hat. It depends on your fabric and how you want it to look. I go around 4 times on this hat, but on the other hats I went around 3 and 5 times. This is up to you, but it makes the brim lay nice.

I use the width of my sewing foot for the spacing of the topstitching.

Now your brim is finished. Set it aside for later.

Fold the strip (hat band) in half right sides together and sew down the 2 sides making a loop.

Press the seam open.

Press the strip into quarters so you have 3 creases and your seam as guide lines for the next step.

Fold and press creases into the circle (crown of the hat) as well.

Match the creases of the strip and circle and pin at each crease right sides together.

Now bring the circle to meet the edge of the strip and pin the rest of the way around. You may have a bit of gather, but it is fine.

Now you will have something that looks like this.

Sew around that seam. Remove pins, and trim down seam with pinking shears or regular scissors and clip curves.

Now pin right sides together the cap of the hat and the brim. I like to hold it together and pin around making a slight pleat at the back of the hat. This way you know the back from the front and it fits around perfectly.

It will look like this when it is all pinned.

Sew around that seam being careful not to catch more of the hat than the hat band and brim.

Trim down the seam with a pinking shears or regular scissors. Try your hat on. If it is a bit big you can sew around this seam again further into make it tighter.

If you want the inside to look more finished you can iron on some iron on seam binding or hand stitch some in. I find the seam on the inside doesn't bother me so I don't do this step.
Now you have a finished hat to keep the sun out of your eyes and look fab! Grin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010 05:53:20 AM by AlwaysInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beccabadger
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009 12:57:50 PM »

Oh wow these are great! I'm loving the fabric of the first one! I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009 01:10:51 PM »

me too!  i suppose i could work up to making something like that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Kaseyana
The Fashionable Blogging Vegetarian

Life is too short to wear boring clothes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009 01:17:48 PM »

I've been wanting a hat in this style FOREVER (ok a month) TUTE PLEASE??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009 01:26:25 PM »

They're great, and yes, I love the flowered one too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
CraftyAggie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009 02:16:45 PM »

Oh I love these, you did a fabulous job! I am about to go to the beach and was planning on whipping up a hat before I leave on Thursday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009 02:26:49 PM »

My girlfriend and I used to walk into town in 1968 or 69 and go to the hippie store to get these floppy hats. They were usually felt, but we both had many colors. I would like instructions to make some for my siblings and myself. I loved these. Just because something looks simple does not mean I can sew it. Wink

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009 02:31:52 PM »

I'll take pictures when I make the next one. I can also scan the pattern pieces or give out the measurements. Very easy to do! I'll work on the tute tomorrow! Wink
Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009 02:48:51 PM »

Oh yay about the tut!  You did an absolutely fabulous job on these hats...they look amazing and the fabric on the first is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009 03:07:04 PM »

Oh yay about the tut!  You did an absolutely fabulous job on these hats...they look amazing and the fabric on the first is awesome!!

Ditto!  Cheesy Your hats are awesome! You're so sweet to share. I have some awesome fabric to use for this and it would be so nice for being out in the garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop
How to Make Wire Wrapped Beaded Bracelet
Rosette Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Beaded Pendant Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...