A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New and improved maternity jeans, with tutorial (plenty o' pics)  (Read 23591 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinklrt
« on: July 20, 2009 12:06:22 PM »

First, a sneak peak:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/lynsay_photos/IMG_1082.jpg

8 months into my third pregnancy, I have finally mastered the art of making my maternity pants more comfortable for the expanding belly. It never fails that by the time the last trimester hits, pants that fit in the butt and thighs have uncomfortably tight waistbands, or the waistbands twist in about 17 different places. If I wear pants that don't squash the growing fetus, I'm constantly pulling them up and/or look like I'm carrying a load of pebbles in my rear end they are so saggy. I wish I had discovered this quick fix about two kids ago!

I should also give credit to the following places for the inspiration for the recon:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28377
http://sewchic.blogspot.com/2008/08/tutorial-how-to-convert-jeans-into.html

Without further ado, how to make your maternity pants more comfortable using $3 worth of elastic and a thrifted t-shirt.

You will need: a pair of pants, a t-shirt that fits snugly around your waist (I used a cotton/spandex blend), 3-inch wide elastic (enough to fit comfortably under the belly)

I found these GAP jeans at a secondhand store for less than $10, but the only thing holding the pants up was this blue knit tube of fabric. After about an hour of hiking the pants (and my underwear  Undecided) back up, I decided they were good candidates for a custom waistband.

To begin, use a seam ripper or scissors to remove the old waistband.

You should get something that looks like this:

Then, take your t-shirt and cut it straight across under the armpits to make a tube of stretchy knit fabric.

Cut your elastic to size, leaving an extra inch of seam allowance for sewing it into a band. For this particular pair of pants, I ended up with a band that was about 38 inches around. I used 3-inch elastic, it seems to lay flatter than narrower widths for me. Not all elastics are created equal as it turns out. Some elastics are very stiff, this particular elastic is quite soft and doesn't have quite as aggressive of a stretch as other wide elastics. I'm not sure what purpose the little ruffles serve, I think they are supposed to be decorative?

Sew the ends of the elastic together to form the band.

Open the seam, then sew along each raw edge so that the seam lays completely flat.

I don't have a photo of this step, but mark both the elastic band and your tube of knit fabric in four places - center front, center back, each side seam. Then, pin the elastic to the INSIDE of the knit fabric (about 1/4" from the raw edge of the fabric), matching your markings on the sides, front and back. Use a straight stitch to secure the elastic to the knit tube on each mark.

Pin the knit tube with the attached elastic to the inside of the jeans, the OUTSIDE of the knit tube should be next to the jeans, the elastic should be the innermost part.  Be sure to match up the marks on the elastic to the center front and back seams and side seams. Pin in these locations, then stretch the elastic and band to fit and add more pins to secure it to the pants.

Use a zigzag stitch to secure the elastic and knit tube to the jeans. Again, you may need to stretch the elastic and the knit tube as you go.

Reach inside the pants and pull the knit tube up like this:

Fold down the top of the knitted tube and pin it to the pants, hiding the elastic band in the process. You'll want to make sure that the serged edge of the jeans isn't folded down as you pin. If necessary, stretch the knit fabric so that it is even along the edge of the pants.

Use a zigzag stitch to carefully secure the finished edge of the knit tube to the jeans. Watch out for any rivets and use extra care when going over thicker seams.

Here is a close up of the finished outer portion of the pants:

And a close up of the finished inner portion:

And finally, some pictures of the pants in action! The band can be worn up or down, depending on how much material you want over your belly. So far, this style of waistband has worked really well for me for the past few months. It passes both the sitting down and standing up test, plus the bending over to pick stuff up test with hardly an adjustment needed.

Thanks for looking and I hope this tutorial helps another momma-to-be from suffering the discomfort of bunchy or too tight elastic waistbands.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012 02:56:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009 12:56:21 PM »

Great job and fabulous belly!!!  I tried to modify an old pair of jeans when I was pregnant,  but I just used an old t-shirt, not any elastic, so I was still hiking up my pants!  When you're that pregnant you don't need anything else making you feel uncomfortable!  I'll try your technique next time.  Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009 10:57:45 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with saggy, sliding maternity pants. Thanks for the tutorial! I think that will definitely help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009 06:02:07 PM »

This is great!  I'm a little over halfway through my second pregnancy, but my homemade Bella band isn't doing the job anymore at keeping up my pre-pregnancy pants.  But I remembered last time still have to hike up the maternity pants.  This is a great fix to that problem.  I'ma gonna get right on it.  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karen09
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010 04:12:17 AM »

i love this!!! maternity jeans are sooo expensive and the ones that arent fit crappy. im really short and normally petite but for some reason i start to show super early. im 4 months and my jeans are starting to fit tight so i think its time to get the old jeans and scissors out. i got brand new pairs of pants at the flea market (tags on and everything) for 5 bucks each, but then a week later i found out i was pregnant and i new they wouldnt last long. i think ill use your tute and recon a couple! thanks sooo much again!

ps im glad im not the only one that experiences the annoying twisting elastic band, to be honest it pisses me off! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
A2JC4life
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010 06:39:00 AM »

I like the combination of the "tighter" elastic and the softer, stretchy panel.  That's pretty smart!  Has anyone tried these earlier in pg than the third trimester?  Do they stay up well early on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petitelady5
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 08:18:53 AM »

Smiley  I wish I knew about this when I needed a maternity pants...I would not have thought of this back then.  At least, I can make this for my girls when they are needed maternity pants....looks easy to do too!! Nicely done, too!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring 2013 Fashion Trends Rundown
60 Seconds of Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Emma Stone Shows Us How to Make Cocktail Dresses Daytime-Casual
Tips For Wearing Peplum Tops
Neon Fashion Trend Blowing Up
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...