i decided i wanted to tye dye a couple onesies my son outgrew. but i hate messing with huge pots of dye, and frankly a giant pot of boiling water on my stove with a 2 year old running around just didnt sound like a good idea. ( ok so i didnt sew this, but i wasnt sure where else it would go.. i did "make" them tie dye afterall )
i grabbed my all purpose acrylic paints, and some fabric medium and started tieing up my onesie.
this is the result of my first attempt , the top was a bright blue the bottom a light blue. i mixed water, medium, and paint untill it looked nice and dipped the onesie in. i let it soak up all it could. then i thought.. maybe i should rinse out the excess.. but quickly realized that wasnt going to work. as a result my bright blue became light and light became lighter.
took it outside to dry. but i got impatient, tried to put it in the dryer.. bad idea it turned the whole inside blue.
after scrubing that out, i took the onesie back outside in the sun. when it dried 100% i took off the bands. i then washed and dried it with my towels just in case. it feels soft.. just like a regular onesie. i have no idea if it will fade or not but babies dont wear these long enough to matter.
heres tries # 2 and # 3 they have been 100% dried, but not washed and put in the dryer like the 1st. you can see they are a bit stiffer.
2 was bright blue and brown... i tied it in a snake shape and tried to dye each section blue then brown ect. the colors ran but still looks pretty good.
3 was navy blue on a turquoise onesie, i loved that color.. but sadly made the mistake of squeezing it while wet and the dye oozed into the banded off areas. still looks great
this is fun, and rather well contained... i did it in butter bowls... you dont need a lot for a onesie. im not so sure how well it would translate into adult size or large pieces but small things like baby/toddler wear, underwear, socks, bits of scrap fabrics would be great.
dh did a toddler tshirt that was orange, with a maroon color. he didnt let his dry flat so it ended up looking dipdyed. he also tied it to look like a face on the front... which creeps me out a bit.. .but he loves it. ill post when its been washed because its too stiff to look like much at the moment.
the camera washed out the colors some, the more white looking colors are actualy light blue.
i think im going to try this some more.. with lots of other colors and fabrics. i could organize my thoughts into a tute if anyone wanted, but its rather straight forward and experimental