A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tie dye with craft paint.  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye , onesie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009 02:25:09 PM »

i decided i wanted to tye dye a couple onesies my son outgrew. but i hate messing with huge pots of dye, and frankly a giant pot of boiling water on my stove with a 2 year old running around just didnt sound like a good idea.  ( ok so i didnt sew this, but i wasnt sure where else it would go.. i did "make" them tie dye afterall )

i grabbed my all purpose acrylic paints, and some fabric medium and started tieing up my onesie.

this is the result of my first attempt , the top was a bright blue the bottom a light blue.  i mixed water, medium, and paint untill it looked nice and dipped the onesie in.  i let it soak up all it could. then i thought.. maybe i should rinse out the excess.. but quickly realized that wasnt going to work.  as a result my bright blue became light and light became lighter.
took it outside to dry.  but i got impatient, tried to put it in the dryer.. bad idea it turned the whole inside blue.  

after scrubing that out, i took the onesie back outside in the sun. when it dried 100% i took off the bands.  i then washed and dried it with my towels just in case. it feels soft.. just like a regular onesie. i have no idea if it will fade or not but babies dont wear these long enough to matter.

heres tries # 2 and # 3 they have been 100% dried, but not washed and put in the dryer like the 1st. you can see they are a bit stiffer.

2 was bright blue and brown... i tied it in a snake shape and tried to dye each section blue then brown ect. the colors ran but still looks pretty good.

3 was navy blue on a turquoise onesie, i loved that color.. but sadly made the mistake of squeezing it while wet and the dye oozed into the banded off areas. still looks great

this is fun, and rather well contained... i did it in butter bowls... you dont need a lot for a onesie.  im not so sure how well it would translate into adult size or large pieces but small things like baby/toddler wear, underwear, socks, bits of scrap fabrics would be great.

dh did a toddler tshirt that was orange, with a maroon color.  he didnt let his dry flat so it ended up looking dipdyed.  he also tied it to look like a face on the front... which creeps me out a bit.. .but he loves it. ill post when its been washed because its too stiff to look like much at the moment.

the camera washed out the colors some, the more white looking colors are actualy light blue.
i think im going to try this some more.. with lots of other colors and fabrics. i could organize my thoughts into a tute if anyone wanted, but its rather straight forward and experimental
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such  a Pretty Pistol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mr. Burns - 7th Drawing
How to Draw Krusty the Clown - 12th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - Full body - 38th Drawing
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
How to Draw Otto Mann - 29th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...