A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset for Prom (made by my mother)  (Read 1893 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreenDuck
« on: July 19, 2009 05:21:14 PM »

I hate clothes shopping so a shop-bought Prom dress was always going to be more of a nightmare than a homemade one and luckily I have a very talented mother who did night classes in corset making a year or two ago. So she said she'd make me a corset.

She went to a sale of old costumes by the Scottish Ballet, not with my Prom outfit in mind but to study the way the costumes had been put together. While looking at tutus and strange formal coats with intricate, flexible fastenings she found a piece of silk at a very cheap price(for silk). So she bought it- while it is a much brighter colour than I would have chosen, the rich orange shot with black is gorgeous. And the label on it said something like 'first female soloist' so I'm wearing cloth that was the offcuts of a costume of a dancer!

The pattern is of a proper historical corset, though I can't remember what period it's from. (I can find out the name and manufacturer of the pattern if anyone is interested.) She first made a mock-up of the pattern from scrap fabric and then fitted it to me, adding in extra triangles for my womanly hips.  Wink There are a lot of layers of cotton under that silk, to make it strong enough, as well as a lining. The bones are made of steel.

She also made the skirt and a vest to go under it (not the vest I'm wearing in the first photo, one of a spotted, less opaque black fabric). With the scraps we made a little bag and a rose with two black leaves to go in my hair.

The outfit was only finished late on the night before Prom, when she had to go to work in the morning. Typical.  Smiley

I'm very proud of the beautiful work she did, and grateful to her, so I thought I'd show you all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of white pillow feathers to get rid of. PM me if you are in Britain and would like some!
Queen of Spades
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009 05:26:59 PM »

Wow! That is beautiful!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009 06:18:39 PM »

Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009 06:30:57 PM »

That is fantastic and I love the orange!  Is the rest of your dress handmade or just the corset?  Either way I'd love to see the whole dress.  Tell your mom she did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 08:29:41 PM »

wonderful. I would love to see your whole outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009 04:24:51 AM »

Mom did a fantastic job!!  I love the color choice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
GreenDuck
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009 10:08:23 AM »

That is fantastic and I love the orange!  Is the rest of your dress handmade or just the corset?  Either way I'd love to see the whole dress.  Tell your mom she did a fantastic job!

Yes, she made the rest although technically it's a skirt and top, not a dress. I didn't have any photos of the whole outfit and I'm far too lazy to put it back on, so this is what you get:

My clothes laid out on the bed- a long plain ankle-length skirt with a lining, and a vest (which the Americans might call an undershirt or tank top? a sleeveless top.) I put a white envelope under the vest so you might be able to see the see-through-ness. The vest has a hand-rolled edge or whatever it's called. The shoes, which you probably can't see, have very slight heels but flat soles. All are black.

The rose that was sewn into my hair, the amber necklace I got for my eighteenth birthday and the green amber earings that were bought to wear with it at prom. Sorry it's blurry: if I get a better photo I'll edit this post.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of white pillow feathers to get rid of. PM me if you are in Britain and would like some!
Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009 08:21:19 PM »

That's lovely and it fits you like a dream. The silk is really pretty too. You're mom is very talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather Henson Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Leviathan Book Trailer
The Memory Quilt Book Trailer
An Author Chat with Julia DeVillers and Hillary Homzie Part 2
Vincent Flynn Talks About American Assassin
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...