A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mirror Mosaic Coffee Table  (Read 10899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fjordtjie
« on: July 19, 2009 11:10:11 AM »

This starts back almost 2 years ago.  Living with my boyfriend, he had to put up with my in-progress craft projects all over the coffee table in the living room.  I moved in with my mom for a year because we couldn't find a place we could afford that would allow a cat, but now he bought a house so we can have cats, and I moved in.  To prevent the same issue, a coffee table with drawers was in order!  I'm still a student, so it would have to be CHEAP!  Around my birthday last fall, someone got me some picture frames I LOVE, which are black with cracked mirror and black grout, and one day in the 'free section' of craigslist i stumbled upon a mirror with a crack, and I decided it would be great for said table and picked it up!  After a few more months of careful scouring, there was a listing for just the coffee table I was looking for.....for $40.  It looked terrible in their pictures, so I offered them $10, and they accepted!

Unfortunately, I started documenting the process too late to get a real feel for how awful it really looked, but suffice it to say, it probably would have ended up in the free bin if I hadn't put in my offer!  The piece of wood that held the drawer fronts was cracked all the way across, and there were deep scratches all over it!  There had been a shelf underneath at some point, but for me there were holes and gouges on the legs showing where it had been.  It's not really a negative, but it was a very 'country' table in color and had single thick wooden knobs on each drawer--not my taste at all.  The pluses were that the drawers worked well, it was sturdy, and it's also really spacious, with a giant top.

So, I dismantled the entire thing, sanded it, glued, clamped, and screwed the cracked frame, wood puttied all the dents, sanded more, sanded again, then primed it twice.  I didn't resand or prime the top, and instead used 100grit (so the glue and grout would have the best chance of sticking).  I broke the mirror (which was huge) under pieces of blanket, sorted the pieces by size, and then I used an all-purpose construction adhesive to meticulously apply all the pieces to get a semi-uniform gap around the pieces.  It sounds so easy, but consisted of finding the next piece that would fit, applying adhesive to that individual piece, and sticking it down--around 30 hours just to get the mirror on the table!

On to the photos!

Here's a close-up of the finished mosaic...I have no idea why there is a big white rectangle attached to it, but my mspaint skillz are sub par, so it stays!

About halfway finished.

All the pieces glued down without grout.  It goes from big to small intentionally.  Some people love it, some people think it was a mistake--but it was entirely premeditated!  In retrospect, I wish I had done it random, but I think it looks great anyway!

I carried it out on the front lawn (amazingly light) for the grouting.  And after it solidified, it started to rain so I brought it back in to clean off the haze.

Toph loves!  The color inside the coffee table was the color the entire thing had been.

Finally finished.  I painted it a dark brown that is very similar to my Expedit black/brown bookcase (in the top left corner) but you can't see the true color because of the flash  Undecided.  I hated the knobs it had, so I found new, more modern ones.  I put on another coat of poly after this, because I bumped it bringing it back inside, and haven't taken updated pictures since!  It's on plastic bags while the poly finishes hardening, to avoid it sticking to my mom's fancy rug!

Now that the boy and I are living together again, I have to say, the table is still covered with craft stuff!  My drawer theory was an epic fail, but it looks pretty good once I clean it off!  I was worried about sharp edges, but the grout comes up just enough that you can rub the table without getting cut.  In the future (when I've got money!)  I'll end up applying epoxy over top, but not any time soon!  If anyone is inspired by this, it is a NO KIDS project, and the epoxy is going to have to be required.  And the mosaic mirror works on all applications--I'd post the picture frames, which are not nearly as gaudy as a huge table, but I'm sure it would be some sort of legal infringement...

Also, if you've got a Wii, you have to cover the table up or move it while you play!  Something about the mirror interferes with it!

I hope you all like it!  Tell me what you think!  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009 03:47:10 PM by fjordtjie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009 11:27:53 AM »

This is really cool. I like how the pieces get smaller, it looks like they're turning into mirror dust & fading away.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009 11:29:27 AM »

I LOVE this!  Thank You for the explanation of how you made this.  It looks really well done.  

(Oh, and I love the third pic with the cat butt sticking out!  Cheesy Cheesy)  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Jiv5932
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009 12:23:05 PM »

this looks soooo good! and fancy. and i like the big to little pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abachii
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 03:29:14 PM »

wow.
that looks like so much work, but the end result is great.
reminds me of like, art nouveau for some reason Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009 04:15:15 PM »

I have always wanted to do a mosaic mirror project, but never wanted to take the time to do it.  I'm absolutely in love with this table!!!  I like the small to large theme too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009 04:34:43 PM »

That's amazing! It would keep my attention for so long... I'd feel like Narcissus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
greenfaerie
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009 09:00:39 PM »

You break a mirror, you get 7 years bad luck.  You repurpose a mirror, you get a lifetime of good karma?

This is fab!!  And I love the cat butt pic lol.  I'm hitting the this rocks button.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Bergotronic
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009 09:20:27 PM »

This is defiantly the best thing i have ever seen. Looks great! I hope your cat likes it!

Also, yay! cats!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Peacelovenbecca
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009 09:34:48 PM »

This is amazing! It looks like something anthropologie would carry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Kendall Jenner Inspired Look
How to Dress Like Blair Waldorf
DIY Pretty Bow Sweater
Vintage Christmas Lookbook
Christmas Jumper Haul
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...