A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: traffic signs  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bahama_mama
« on: July 19, 2009 11:09:51 AM »

My hubby has a bunch of street signs from his wayward adolescence and garage sales. We don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?

There are four "stop" signs, one "road construction", and one "no off road vehicles". We currently have 2 of the stop signs affixed to cafe tables on the patio, but they get pretty hot in the sun. We have a large backyard with many trees so an outdoor use would work.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pull over! Pull over! I can make something out of that!...Trust Me!
LateNightHooker
Til the Crack of Dawn!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 01:47:23 AM »

I have quite a collection of not-so-legally obtained road signs, and what I want to do with them eventually is have a party barn or den to hang them all, complete with neon beer signs and a fully stocked bar  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyBugz
LadyBugz Creations

I am who I am, so get over it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009 10:28:34 AM »

I love watching those home makeover show and other things like that, and I watched one once where they made tables from them! Find an old table that is about the same size, if not a little smaller than you sign, then you can screw or bolt them onto the table. They showed using them in a rec room, as an outdoor table, etc. I thought it was a pretty neat idea, but wondered just how some people got those signs, because I thought it was illegal. LOL!

Please post pics when you decide what you want to do with them. I'd like to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ladybugzcreations.yolasite.com
Crochet, knit, sewing, beading, photography....I want to learn it all!

Interested in personal swaps!
bahama_mama
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009 03:08:57 PM »

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Ladybugz I didn't know they were illegal  Wink Wink

I currently have 2 of them bolted to 2 cafe tables that I found on the side of the road! They are the perfect circumference for the "Stop" signs. I have them outside and use them on my patio, but the Texas sun makes them very hot, so I have had to cover them when we dine out so we don't get burned. Also, the edges are straight and I have scratched myself.

I thought I would use them at our home, but we don't have a "den" or "game room". So, I am thinking of an outdoor use. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pull over! Pull over! I can make something out of that!...Trust Me!
LateNightHooker
Til the Crack of Dawn!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009 12:12:26 AM »

I love that idea LadyBugz! Once we get our place, I might try screwing them on top of a large wire spool and using them for outdoor tables. It seems like one of my Midland County deputy buddies said it was about a $500 fine per sign, and theft charges... not a pretty picture if ya get caught... I've been doing it since I was 16 lol ahhh those were the days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happy*chickens
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009 09:58:13 AM »

i've seen someone making bowl out of it, could be good for fruits in the kitchen or whatever..  http://www.instructables.com/id/Foreclosure-Bowl/

the table solution is a classic though! maybe you could curve cut it and sand it for safetiness (no scratches)
or if the top of the tables underneath is wide like you can cut the corner to half according to the width of the table top and fold it all the way around the table as if is a lid of some sort.

ho and a girl from the forum made a mailing box out of license plats! wich is cool Cool
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=317860.new

THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009 12:38:35 PM »

I've seen people make serving trays out of signs. Attach two handles and perhaps something around the edge so things don't slide off and voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
One-Stop Shop for the Best in Beauty
Burgundy Eyes and Lips Tutorial
Allover Bronzer Tips
Megan Moore on Your Makeup Must Haves
The Look of Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...