A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mixed media painting... needs some help  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imxriotxhere
« on: July 18, 2009 10:16:59 PM »

I have a couple ideas for it, though I'm not sure if it'll help much. The first is painting the squid (I think he looks WAY too phallic) with a brown stain to make it a little more... uniform? #2 I was thinking of lining the squid, octopus, and the boats in sharpie, to give it a more cartoony feel, I've been working at it for too long and now need a fresh view of it.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009 10:34:23 PM »

yes, the first thing i noticed was how phallic that one squid looks. Shocked lol  can't say i know much about art, but i like the idea of outlining them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerielaydie1916
A Day in the Life of an Every Day Fey!

Fat Faeries Rock!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009 11:12:26 PM »

Great job! I have to say the phallic looking one doesn't bother me. Lots of things in the world that are perfectly innocent are phallic looking. I think it gives the painting character. As for what I think it needs? I think the sharpie idea is a good one. Or maybe some more beads to add some 3-D details to the squids... they're just looking a little flatter than the rest of the painting.

Keep working on it and follow your instincts! You're doing great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
carirae
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009 08:25:00 AM »

I agree that the squids look a little flat and outlining might help that. I think the tentacles sort of get lost, at this point. However, its really beautiful! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 09:29:31 AM »

I like it! lots of fun!
I think you should keep the squid purple, and maybe make the brown part match the rest, rather than brownifying him entirely.

I agree that a little more deffinition would help. I wouldn't outline it in sharpie, though, since I like this better than I would a cartoon piece.  I think you should take the paints in the colours you used for the squid/octopus "heads" and do a kind of gradual intensifying toward the edges.  For the boats, I'd do something of the like with a dark brown/black paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
beepart
beepart

beepart, tattoo...food...pop art!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009 10:54:54 AM »

i really like the beadwork in the water- makes a very interesting pattern!

maybe using some patterned paper to fill in the squids (like you did with the boats) would help them fit better with the rest of the piece,
outlining the squids would definitely help them to stand out more, but i think you could make them stand out with your choice of colours rather than using a heavy black line,
to me, an outline like that would disrupt the nice patterning that you have there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imxriotxhere
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009 03:15:44 PM »

Thanks SO MUCH for all input, guys. It's a piece for my boyfriend, so we read the comments together and decided to incorporate more paper , most likely for the squid's tentacles which I would get some pop-dots and give it a more 3-D feel. Also, I realized the water is very flat behind the purple guy, something I had overlooked, but can easily fix with another stripe of beading. I'll keep updating as I fix it up! Thanks again, and please, I still appreciate any help/ opinions anyone may have. Everyone has such good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Wardrobe Must-Haves From Jill Martin
Tricks For Corporate Attire From Jill Martin
Fall And Winter Trends From Jill Martin
Tricks For Transforming An Outfit From Day To Night From Jill Martin
Timeless Classic Wardrobe Pieces From Jill Martin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...