A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Surprise 75th Birthday Party for Grandma  (Read 9367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auty99

Designer by day... Crafter by night!

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009 08:25:52 PM »

My grandmother turned 75 today so, her children and grandchildren threw her a surprise party.  I hearded the party planning along as they only decided about two weeks ago they were even going to do this  Roll Eyes
Since time was limited I created much of the decor for the party and I'm rather happy with the way it turned out and thought I'd share it here.

This is the guest sign in book.  I put a picture of her on the front with the date and occasion.  Inside I have some cute paper that says "Guests" at the top.  In the back there are about 15 sheets of the same paper that say "Photos" and the date so that she can add all of the pictures from today and keep it as an album.

When you walked in you were greeted by the Happy Birthday banner I made.  This thing took me all of the two weeks to assemble.  I used fabric out of my stash, some felt and foam letters. 

Here's a close up so that you can see the glitter.  I also made two round pins for each end out of fabric yo-yo's, hand-dyed lace and vintage buttons.  They were removeable with pin backs and I gave them to her as gifts after the party.

For table decorations I went out and purchased antique aqua colored mason jars, added ribbon, yo-yo's, buttons, and other bits to the top and filled them with flower arrangements.

Here's a gratuitous art photo of the flowers so that you can see several of the different tops.

We set up a photo display made up of three separate panels, each representing 25 years.  I made copies of a bunch of family photos, converted them all to black and white and had them printed.  The stands are sheet metal from Home Depot in the HVAC section that I spray painted blue.  We glued magnets to the back of buttons and used the buttons to hold the pictures to the stands.

Here's one where you can see the back.  I didn't paint it so, it's just plain sheet metal.

For the cupcake stand I took three cake rounds, separated them with two blue planters (from the floral section at the craft store) and added red rick-rack to the edges of the stands.  It had already been attacked when I took this picture so it's a little rough looking Smiley

Grandma had a great time and got to see a lot of realatives she doesn't see reguarly.

Here's one of the birthday girl after the party under her banner.

C&C appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftygrace
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009 08:41:27 PM »

You did a fantastic job! I really love the centerpieces : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trampycouture
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009 08:42:27 PM »

Yay! Those were some beautiful decorations. I love grandmas. (or maw-maws as I call them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recordsandpearls
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009 10:16:44 PM »

Everything looks absolutely beautiful.  I can't decide which is my favorite part--the banner (so cute!), the centerpieces, or the photo display (LOVE the button magnets).  Your grandma is lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 04:55:40 AM »

Fantastic job!!  I love everything, but I think the floral arrangements are my favorite!!  I know Grandma was happy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tip for Lightroom 2
Black & White Imaging in Adobe Lightroom
How to Use Crop Tool and Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 2
How to Use the Volume Browser in Lightroom 2
Working Efficiently with Presets in Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...