A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using a Fabric Stash  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeannaLynn06

Cup o Noodles it is, crafting costs too much!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 18, 2009 10:48:12 AM »

I was wondering if you guys had any good ideas for using up my fabric stash. I want quick and easy projects (2-3 hours or less per project), that either use up my scraps or my yardage, I have lots of both. I don't really want to do quilt blocks because I never finish the quilt.

Here is my list so far:

Wallets
Tote bags
Aprons
Receiving blankets

I am sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HootKnits
Sabre Quill Princess

She wears short skirts, I wear tee shirts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009 08:31:54 AM »

I'm going to get a rep as the plushie girl and I only have three posts. . .

Aaaanyway, I would highly recomend plushies! They're fast, adorable and the degree of difficulty is whatever you want it to be. I started out witha simple quilted owl and have progressed far past that in only a month, plus it doesn't take much fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlightcheese
Chaos screaming, chaos dreaming.

Gotta do more! Gotta be more!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 08:09:30 AM »

Penny Rugs!

http://www.astorybooklife.com/how-to/penny-rugs/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MegRoseSews
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009 01:28:30 PM »

Good for you. I'm working on that too.

1) Small scraps make wunderbar COVERED BUTTONS. Oh so fun and fast. You know how to use the covered button kits/forms you get from the sewing store, right? Directions on package, easy. (Also goof for bits of hand embroidery on those stained 50 cent napkins from yard sales - you can just keep that boulloin rose on a bit of linen) Then you have them for future projects, update buttons on piece of clothing, use one as a decorative pin (I safety pin it underneath) or you can sew them on a card and give them to a friend.

Don't forget sewing them on one of those tote bags you're making.

2) fast and easy piece smaller bits that you kinda like but less to make the lining for those tote bags and purses.

3) I know you already thought of this, but ... I'm very partial to the buttercup purse pattern (free on the web - I have some posted in the purses/bags with my id). I can make an enlarged version with a half yard. The original size something less than that. Also you can get away with even less if you use different, coordinated pieces for the front, bag, strap, etc.

4) Very fast - I make fabric flowers for decorating purses/bags (or could go on cushions, curtains, ??) . Cut a rounded piece like the top part of half a heart (no pointy part on bottom, cut across flat). You might want to make it two sided with a different kind of fabric (or same). You can even zigzag their edges together and skip turning. Cute with bright thread. Then make another 6-10, gather by hand or machine and position on your cute new bags. I looked for books about making fabric flowers at the library and found lots of patterns for free.

I'm sure I've forgotten other things!

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MegRoseSews
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009 01:39:58 PM »

I knew there was something else fast and easy

Those tiny, tiny boxes people give you earrings and necklaces in that you can't stand throwing away... (Or bigger boxes I suppose)

Glue on scraps to all the exposed parts. Good old Elmers glue. And what a great box for giving people the new beaded earrings you made them (or bought at the flea market or in the store).

Of course you always hope they will give you the box back.... If you celebrate that big Christian holiday with the tree you can often at least get the boxes back that you made if your family is used to getting them and reuse them next year.

Bigger boxes would be cute decorated with the easy to make fabric scrap flowers too!

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Cashmere Hot Water Bottle Cover
Create a Recycling Bin for Newspapers
Holiday Garland Decorations 101
How to Make a Christmas-Tree Table Topper
Professional-Looking Holiday Flower Containers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...