A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cake Pops  (Read 3546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Malica
« on: July 17, 2009 06:41:23 PM »

After stumbling across Bakerella's blog after seeing her hamburger and fries both here and on cake wrecks, I really couldn't help myself when I saw these Smiling Cake Pops

The premise is simple enough - make a cake, crumble it up, stir in a can of frosting, roll them into balls, jab lollipop sticks into them then dip them in melted chocolate, and I needed to bring something to a family event I figured I'd give them a try.

A few disappointments with them though:
1. Not all edible markers can write on chocolate. Chocolate is oily, the markers I got were not suitable (Wilton's FoodWriter Edible Color Markers - the only ones at my local Michael's). It was like trying to write on a sheet of wax paper with a ball point pen, so only 2 got faces on them. I was really hoping to take the markers and let the kids draw on their own faces, but it wasn't meant to be this time.
2. Instructions say to pop them in the freezer to firm them up. I'm pretty sure that's why about 1/4 of mine ended up getting big cracks in the coating (warm coating + cold cake ball =  Sad )

Still though, they were pretty easy once I got the hang of how to coat something in chocolate. I've got my baking friends now on the quest to find me markers that will write on chocolate in Canada because I know I'm going to make these (or the animal variants) again sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Asheri
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009 06:53:29 PM »

I've been wanting to try those for awhile, but I wonder if the taste is worth the trouble of making them?
Or are they basically just cute?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009 06:54:07 PM by Asheri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009 06:56:31 PM »

That's a really cute idea. I wonder how they taste?

I had an idea about doing the faces. What if you used some royal icing in a piping bag?
(Or even a milk or zipper bag with the corner cut off?) I've done that to right names on chocolate easter eggs, and it wasn't hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
ulcdmj
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009 07:44:52 PM »

I think they look very yummy since I TOO know what cake pops/balls/truffles are. I saw bakerella's post a while back and tried it for my girls and I. We instantly fell in love w/ them and make them for any family special event. They are perfect because they are different and very creative. Not to mention the different combination's you can come up with. My personal faves are red velvet w/ cream cheese icing (Betty Crocker) or the Lemon and cream cheese. I think you did a fine job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
a2nikki20
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009 08:08:44 PM »

I make these - the red velvet mixed with cream cheese frosting and covered with dark chocolate.  The taste is amazing - I made them for Christmas gifts and EVERYONE loved them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take the skinheads bowling!

Smiley  Niki  Smiley

My Blog:
http://madishwoman2.blogspot.com/

My Etsy:
http://rsdesign.etsy.com/
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009 08:39:59 PM »

I think these are a great idea, and I truly appreciate it when people post things that dont turn out perfect, I might even try to make these some day Smiley thanks for the ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Kitten1318
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009 08:44:18 PM »

I LOVE this recipe, I used it this year when making candy to give as gifts for Christmas.  I didn't use the sticks and I used white and milk chocolate to coat, then drizzled the opposite color on top to make them a bit more fancy.  I love the idea of colors.  They are SOOOOOOOOOOO yummy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New to it all...
in_wonderland
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009 03:18:46 AM »

there goes my diet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009 06:20:46 AM »

They actually do taste really good. Really really good. I was worried about that myself as I used a gluten-free cake mix so the entire family could enjoy them, and I've actually been eating a lot better myself lately so I had to trust my husband to be the taste tester and be honest about the results. After several family members asked for the instructions my curiosity got the better of me an I had one. And they were super yummy. (Especially if you're under 10).

I was going to make gluten-free and regular ones and make them different colours to keep them straight, but 1 package of cake mix (even a single-layer cake mix for gluten free cake) makes a lot of them and I ran out of chocolate before making a second batch. Thankfully my husband and his friends were able to dispose of a pan of brownies for me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009 09:31:19 AM »

OMG.  I love this idea.  I can't wait to try these.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
thehazelwood
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009 05:18:07 PM »

I've made the cupcake pops twice... the first time they looked awful and I used baking chocolate becuase I had no candy melts, and made chocolate with vanilla frosting.

The second time I bought the candy melts, and did vanilla cake (coloured pink) with cream cheese icing.

My friends adored them both times so this recipe is a big hit no matter what they end up looking like... but yours look pretty good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RunJanisRun
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010 06:53:46 PM »

I had the same problem with Wilton's pens. I dipped the pen in Duff's gel food coloring and it worked like a charm! I love love love cake pops. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Lipstick in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Fill Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Layer Opacity in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...