A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to scrapbooking...do I have to use page protectors?  (Read 3046 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Myyrh
« on: July 17, 2009 12:15:03 AM »

Hey there! I just discovered the joys of scrapbooking, and am making a book for my boyfriend and I's anniversary. I bought a nice album on sale at Joann's, and it came with page protectors. The bad thing is, when I put just the pages in it seemed to be a tight fit. The pages sort of curl up and don't lay flat, if that makes sense at all. When I add 3d effects they really seem bunched up and really make things bulgy. Any way to fix this, or how do I not use page protectors?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.
panther_012003
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009 03:43:46 PM »

I have that problem sometimes and the best solution I have is to trim the edges of the paper so they are slightly smaller than the protectors. Sometimes the sizes of paper and sleeves are not exactly perfect. There's not much you can do about crinkly sleeves if you make 3D pages...

If you didn't want to use sleeves then you would have to find some kind of cardstock that is at least 1/2 inch wider than your scrapbook paper, punch holes in it to fit the scrapbook and probably cut separaters to put in-between them where it's bound so that you have some space in between pages for your 3D stuff. I've done this before and it's very time consuming. Plus, without protectors it's much easier to mess up all the hard work you did on each page!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mehashell
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009 09:47:16 PM »

I trim my 12x12 pages at least 1/4" on the width to allow for embellishment bulk. It seems to work, and so much easier to do before you start (than going back to trim bulky pages).
Without page protectors stuff gets really bunged up...I have all album from 9 years ago that I made and the trims are curling and stuff has fallen off- now I am going to have to go back and do damage control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myyrh
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 05:48:35 PM »

Yay! The trimming on each page made everything fit perfectly, and no tight squeezes. Thanks a bunch guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.
Velarie
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009 08:49:07 AM »

to also answer your question. No you do NOT have to use page protectors all the time. Once you get into your "scrappin" mojo, you will discover so many cool ways to give your pages some 3d effects, or have texture, or even add flaps.  thats when you don't want to use page protectors obviously, because you want the reader to touch your book and become "involved"
I would have to say, only half of my scrapbooks, do I really use page protectors.
I hope I helped ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stampin' for sanity Smiley
For more fun, head over to my blog:
www.valscraftcorner.com
Kajikit
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009 06:22:26 PM »

The page protectors will keep your scrapbook looking nice and clean and fresh for years to come... loose pages get grubby and bits fall off them over time. Your pages are looking bulgy and wrinkled because not all papers are exactly the same size. Your sheet protectors should have come with sheets of plain white cardstock sitting in them - measure one of these sheets carefully, and then trim up your other pages to the same size and they should fit in better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Karen aka Kajikit
My Craft blog - http://kajikit.blogspot.com
My Webshots Galleries - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009 03:16:15 AM »

personally i like the chewed up edges that my mini albums get....shows age and history

i scrap in every way you can imagine...i use the method that works best for what i want....thats what you will eventually do without even thinking, use the way that works best...not the *right* way or the *perfect* way....your way

im glad the advice worked and your album is fixed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 7/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 8/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 6/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 3/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 12/13
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...