A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What am I getting myself into?  (Read 735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Immaculata
« on: July 16, 2009 02:02:00 PM »

So, a while ago I decided I wanted to quilt. I originally drew up a pattern for a quilt that was going to be huge (I wanted it to touch the floor on all 4 sides of a big double bed...  it would be 4 meters or something) but I decided that might be just a little bit too big for a first time. Tongue

So, instead, I opted for a readymade pattern and ordered a pattern & fabric from Red Rooster Fabrics, I haven't received it yet. The pattern is called In Full Bloom.  I think it's going going to be about 1m x 1m, so that's a lot better than my original plan....  here's the link to the pattern:  http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/content7369.html

I have no idea though, if this is difficult to make or not. I've looked through the pattern (it's available for free on the website) and it doesn't seem very difficult, and I am experienced in sewing, but I'm just a bit insecure because this is going to be my first project.

Also, I have no idea what to do for the actual quilting? I am going to do it by hand - I sew but I'm not fond of sewing machines - but I have no idea what kind of 'design' I should use. I've never seen any quilts in real life, except for some log cabin cushion covers, quilting is very unknown where I live. I really don't know what kind of thread and needle I should use for the quilting.

Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009 05:05:38 AM »

I have no idea though, if this is difficult to make or not. I've looked through the pattern (it's available for free on the website) and it doesn't seem very difficult, and I am experienced in sewing, but I'm just a bit insecure because this is going to be my first project.
No, that's not a difficult pattern at all, especially the way they're having you do it. All piecing really is, at the base of it, is sewing 2 pieces of fabric together. This one doesn't seem to have complicated angles, or borders that need to match up a la jinny beyer - those can come later. If you've got experience with regular sewing, then you're a step ahead of a lot of "beginners."

Also, I have no idea what to do for the actual quilting? I am going to do it by hand - I sew but I'm not fond of sewing machines - but I have no idea what kind of 'design' I should use. I've never seen any quilts in real life, except for some log cabin cushion covers, quilting is very unknown where I live. I really don't know what kind of thread and needle I should use for the quilting.

Well, sometimes I don't decide how I'm going to quilt something until I'm right at that step. However, I see a couple things that I'd probably do for this one. You could do concentric circles or a spiral in the center of each snowball, or you could draw a loose interpretation of a flower (like a daisy) in each circle to accentuate the "bloom" aspect of it - but those are just a couple of things that I might do faced with the same pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Immaculata
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009 10:58:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice! I just received the fabric and the pattern yesterday and it definitely seems not too difficult. I guess I'll just finish the top first, then see what I'm going to do about the quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwiltykate
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 11:47:41 PM »

wow that is a nice quilt!

Are your colours/fabrics the same as the picture or did you pick something different?

When choosing how to quilt it, I would advise something quite simple and read the recommendations on the batting/wadding you are using - some have to be quilted say 2in apart and others 10in!

Another tip! I have just started using a quilters masking tape (it looks like regular masking tape but its only 1/4in wide) and find its great for keeping my quilting lines straight when hand quilting, and saves heaps of time when marking the quilt - esp good for darker fabrics!

Kate x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Immaculata
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009 01:44:01 PM »

Yes, I am making that exact quilt. I ordered a kit online for my first quilt. All the fabrics are from the same brand (Red Rooster Fabrics) so they all match. There were 25 different fabrics in my kit, mostly fat eights.

I am still cutting... I really do need to do an awful amount of cutting really tiny pieces .. 1,75" squares. I have now cut all the dark large squares, that need to be sewn to the small light squares that I'm nearly done cutting, it is tempting to start sewing these already. Just cutting heaps of fabric isn't really motivating me, I start off cutting then stop after half an hour or less because I'm tired of it.

Thanks for the advice about the masking tape! I'd never heard of that... I already wondered how I'd keep my lines straight, I can't even write straight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009 07:49:37 AM »

I really do think kits of varying difficulty are a good way for some people to start - I'm glad it's going well for you. (Cutting sucks. I make somebody else do it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Legendary Colorist Christophe Robin Gets Frank About Cannes
How to Get the Princess Look For Prom
Must Try Face Oils For A Perfect Complexion
How to Create a Mila Kunis-Inspired Nude Lip
Summer Beauty Tips: Look Hot in the Heat
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...